NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

financial transaction tax

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 13 posts (15 thanks)
    2. looks_two srgtroy with 10 posts (18 thanks)
    3. looks_3 ReximusMaximus with 6 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 canoekoh with 6 posts (10 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one steve2222 with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two srgtroy with 1.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 canoekoh with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 16,532 views
    2. thumb_up 79 thanks given
    3. group 18 followers
    1. forum 60 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

financial transaction tax

ReximusMaximus 
SAINT LOUIS

Experience: Advanced
Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 23

Daytrader999 View Post
That's VERY moderate compared to the transaction tax which is (planned) to be imposed on any derivatives in Germany starting from 2021....

I'd immediately subscribe to this.

Does the planned German transaction tax apply to you if you are a German citizen trading on a US exchange like the CME?

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

ReximusMaximus View Post
If it were up to me, I'd assume that taxing gains would make more sense, in particular perhaps a change to section 1256 would be more reasonable. If the FTT goes too high, their forecasted tax revenue had better account for a severe drop off in trading volumes. At least reform to 1256 would not hinder participation/liquidity etc.

Can't quote source but I believe that one of Biden's suggestion is to make all capital gains taxed as income. The elimination of a lower taxed Long Term Capital Gains rate would eliminate Section 1256 (assuming you mean the 60/40 rule).

Daytrader999 
Ilsede, Germany
Site Moderator

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Rithmic / CQG / Ninja Trader Brokerage
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 2,067
Thanks Received: 2,316

ReximusMaximus View Post
Does the planned German transaction tax apply to you if you are a German citizen trading on a US exchange like the CME?

Yes, the tax applies independent of the location of the transaction or exchange, it will apply to all transactions as long as you're mainly located in Germany (means as long as you have to pay taxes in Germany).

It's quite complicated and probably against constitutional law, but apparently they plan to impose it first and deal with the lawsuits later....

"If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much." - Jim Rohn
Thanked by:
 ReximusMaximus 
SAINT LOUIS

SMCJB View Post
Can't quote source but I believe that one of Biden's suggestion is to make all capital gains taxed as income. The elimination of a lower taxed Long Term Capital Gains rate would eliminate Section 1256 (assuming you mean the 60/40 rule).

Yes I was referring to the 60/40 rule.

I would hope that if a measure like eliminating LTGC were to go through that the FTT would either be minimal or preferably nonexistent.

I totally accept the reality of paying the taxman, but have a hard time swallowing the elimination of short term trading through onerous FTT rates. The rate Harris has suggested wouldn't destroy trading, but there are others out there that want rates that would. I can't imagine doing anything other than trading for a living, just can't even picture it.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.

SMCJB View Post
@ES at 3372 would be $6.74 (hence $0.67 on MES)
@CL at 42.60 would be $0.85
@GC at 1940 would be $3.88
@GE at any price would be $20
@BTC at 11650 would be $1.16

ReximusMaximus View Post
Yes I was referring to the 60/40 rule.

I would hope that if a measure like eliminating LTGC were to go through that the FTT would either be minimal or preferably nonexistent.

I totally accept the reality of paying the taxman, but have a hard time swallowing the elimination of short term trading through onerous FTT rates. The rate Harris has suggested wouldn't destroy trading, but there are others out there that want rates that would. I can't imagine doing anything other than trading for a living, just can't even picture it.

I agree definitely not as bad as some proposals. I've always assumed that there would be exemptions. $13.48 per round turn tax on ES would really hurt market makers (and HFT) and would probably mean less liquidity on the inside market. $1.70 in CL is still small. $40 RT on GE/Eurodollars is more than a tick!

addchild 
Bay Area California

Experience: None
Platform: TT T4
Broker: Phillip Capital
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 926
Thanks Received: 898

SMCJB View Post
I agree definitely not as bad as some proposals. I've always assumed that there would be exemptions. $13.48 per round turn tax on ES would really hurt market makers (and HFT) and would probably mean less liquidity on the inside market. $1.70 in CL is still small. $40 RT on GE/Eurodollars is more than a tick!

But every high volume participant would likely end up classified as a market maker.

imo ftt is a non starter for trading in the states (at basically any level). I imagine most exchanges have a plan to take trading offshore. ICE setup the Singapore mini energy contracts in preparation for an EU ftt, i'd imagine every exchange has a similar plan in place. It will definitely be a headache, but not overly concerned with it taking away my livelihood.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

addchild View Post
But every high volume participant would likely end up classified as a market maker.

Agreed so almost everybody they are really targeting would be exempt and it would just become a tax on retail traders. Which in my opinion would completely defeat the point of the tax.

addchild View Post
I imagine most exchanges have a plan to take trading offshore. ICE setup the Singapore mini energy contracts in preparation for an EU ftt, i'd imagine every exchange has a similar plan in place.

Wouldn't ICE (old IPE and LIFFE) be considered UK and not Europe now? Haven't had these conversations recently several years back when I was having this conversation with a senior exchange member, they said that they believed all the exchanges had plans to move trading to Switzerland in the event of a European wide FTT.

Thanked by:
 ReximusMaximus 
SAINT LOUIS

addchild View Post

imo ftt is a non starter for trading in the states (at basically any level). I imagine most exchanges have a plan to take trading offshore. ICE setup the Singapore mini energy contracts in preparation for an EU ftt, i'd imagine every exchange has a similar plan in place. It will definitely be a headache, but not overly concerned with it taking away my livelihood.

While relocating offshore might help the exchanges to avoid FTT, wouldn't domestic US traders still be subject to the taxation as citizens and residents? I'm sure it's impossible to say just yet but I can't imagine Uncle Sam letting that coin go.

Miesto 
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Thanks Given: 801
Thanks Received: 1,194

I've been watching those political talking heads discuss financial transaction tax in the EU for over 10 years. They need the money to finance their ever growing non productive bureaucratic government. They will take the money from everywhere they can like big companies via taxes and under the name of regulations. They will suck out the last penny of the people via taxes to support their extraneous expense pattern while growing insurmountable debts also to be paid by the plebs. Until revolution sets in like seen in ancient times.

I stopped paying attention to it years ago as it is out of my control (even voting doesn't help). When it comes it comes and I will see what will be the best thing to do at that time. Before that no need to worry or speculate I would say. Ehh, I mean yes speculate, on the markets but not on politics as they are unreliable and even more unpredictable than let's say the ES, GC or CL for that matter

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 addchild 
Bay Area California

Experience: None
Platform: TT T4
Broker: Phillip Capital
Thanks Given: 926
Thanks Received: 898

ReximusMaximus View Post
While relocating offshore might help the exchanges to avoid FTT, wouldn't domestic US traders still be subject to the taxation as citizens and residents? I'm sure it's impossible to say just yet but I can't imagine Uncle Sam letting that coin go.

Its hard to guess about something that doesn't exist at all right now, but exchanges wouldn't be moving offshore to save themselves a ftt, they would do it to save their customers a ftt, and in turn, their business.

Again its only speculation but I'd imagine traders who are effected would likely end up being the sole US employee of a shell company in whatever tax preferential country the exchanges land in. So the government would get theirs, but it would just be taxes on income.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on August 12, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts