NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The HSI Index Futures Scalping Experiment

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Godzilla with 192 posts (326 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 39 posts (70 thanks)
    3. looks_3 emmett with 20 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 steve2222 with 15 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Godzilla with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 steve2222 with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 amoeba with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 62,572 views
    2. thumb_up 460 thanks given
    3. group 56 followers
    1. forum 319 posts
    2. attach_file 135 attachments

Search this Thread

The HSI Index Futures Scalping Experiment

Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Given: 43
Thanks Received: 353

Monday 8th June 2020

Great news Josh - you haven't jinxed me today(just teasing you as I'm not a superstitious person)....I did one silly trade that I shouldn't have taken and monkey'd with a trade that would have worked if I just didn't touch it.....damn trading can be hard at times.
Ignoring the breakeven trade +50 tics (4/5) ....

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
use extra computer for optimisation
NinjaTrader
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities

Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

Tuesday 09 Jun 20

60tics (3/3) some great set-ups BUT missing the signal bar....as Mack said recently on his Saturday YT vid:

1) Wait for prices to come to Key Entry Points (aka Supp/Resist, EMA)
2) then take the trades with proper signal bars....

Seems easy, but as we all know it's not that easy otherwise we would all be driving Ferrari's
A few great trades were missed simply because the market is moving so quickly.....and I'm loath to use market orders.(or just not quick enough)

Personally I think the PATS system is really about being able to read the chart for support/resistance levels....the HSI(all markets really) bounces off them regularly which means you can trade them to your advantage.
Sadly, when I started out I deliberately went the mechanical algo path and although I was aware of their importance I ignored them completely...in hindsight that was an obvious mistake.

Thanked by:

jakobe 
Atlanta, Georgia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 69
Thanks Received: 91

@Godzilla really enjoy your journal. I've started SIM trading and taken only a few live trades on the MHI (mini for the HSI).
I'm curious what type of stop loss strategy you use with this instrument. The daily ranges are very large but I don't want to risk too much per trade. At the same time giving this room to breathe seems necessary.. so striking that balance has been a challenge.

emmett
New Zealand

Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Received: 21

jakobe View Post
@Godzilla really enjoy your journal. I've started SIM trading and taken only a few live trades on the MHI (mini for the HSI).
I'm curious what type of stop loss strategy you use with this instrument. The daily ranges are very large but I don't want to risk too much per trade. At the same time giving this room to breathe seems necessary.. so striking that balance has been a challenge.

Hi jakobe,

I asked Godzilla a similar question recently and he posted the following helpful reply:

Cheers

Thanked by:
Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

jakobe View Post

Hi jakobe,

Firstly, good news your on SIM - don't be silly and trade live until you have a proven method(edge). proof = $10k profits on SIM.

Second, using the PATS method the stoploss is always the length of the signal bar + 2 ticks...1tick above for sig bar high for entry and 1 below the sig bar low for exits (opposite for sells).....so in theory the stoploss is adaptive to each entry you take....you have to monitor it and move your stop quickly as required.....so for large range sig bars (which I dont recommend) you need a larger stop and need to move it back and for smaller sig bars you move your stop closer and have a smaller loss in the event of a loss.

When I traded MHI I used 10ticks as a preset stoploss and moved it as required. Once I could trade the MHI consistently profitable I graduated to HSI! HSI is a beast be careful if you trade it. Without an edge it will drain your account very quickly.

Now regarding your risk avoidance...you have to ignore the dollar amount and place the orders correctly - remember your on SIM so train yourself to place the trade (move stop if required) then relax, breath normally and dont let any tension build up as this needs to be avoided as it's a stress you don't need(you have to kill your emotions - trade like a robot).....otherwise you will "monkey" with your trade and get a loss that could have been a profit if you just followed the rules....yes I have done this many times and been burned as well like everyone else.

SIM is perfect for those 2 things....perfecting your chart reading/entry technique and to practice controlling your emotions when a trade position is on.

I no longer use a breakeven trigger on my orders , ie market moves to 10tick profit then SC automatically moves the stop loss to entry level and many times it will hit the break even stoploss then trade higher and then hit the target profit if I had bigger balls(patience) and just held tight.

If you use "runners" then by all means use that break even strategy but then the correct trigger to move your stoploss to breakeven is at 11tics not 10tics.(in my case for HSI = 1 tick greater then your 1st target) personally I don't use runners....but if I get up to 3+ contracts I might consider it.

In the beginning I would trade SIM live then trade the session on SIM replay that night (learning from my mistakes).....you can learn twice as fast

Anyway enough rambling from me....just remember it takes time to master yourself. If you want to dig deeper look at the works of Dr Van Tharp...books/home study only.

Thanked by:

jakobe 
Atlanta, Georgia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 69
Thanks Received: 91

Godzilla View Post
Hi jakobe,

Firstly, good news your on SIM - don't be silly and trade live until you have a proven method(edge). proof = $10k profits on SIM.

Second, using the PATS method the stoploss is always the length of the signal bar + 2 ticks...1tick above for sig bar high for entry and 1 below the sig bar low for exits (opposite for sells).....so in theory the stoploss is adaptive to each entry you take....you have to monitor it and move your stop quickly as required.....so for large range sig bars (which I dont recommend) you need a larger stop and need to move it back and for smaller sig bars you move your stop closer and have a smaller loss in the event of a loss.

When I traded MHI I used 10ticks as a preset stoploss and moved it as required. Once I could trade the MHI consistently profitable I graduated to HSI! HSI is a beast be careful if you trade it. Without an edge it will drain your account very quickly.

Now regarding your risk avoidance...you have to ignore the dollar amount and place the orders correctly - remember your on SIM so train yourself to place the trade (move stop if required) then relax, breath normally and dont let any tension build up as this needs to be avoided as it's a stress you don't need(you have to kill your emotions - trade like a robot).....otherwise you will "monkey" with your trade and get a loss that could have been a profit if you just followed the rules....yes I have done this many times and been burned as well like everyone else.

SIM is perfect for those 2 things....perfecting your chart reading/entry technique and to practice controlling your emotions when a trade position is on.

I no longer use a breakeven trigger on my orders , ie market moves to 10tick profit then SC automatically moves the stop loss to entry level and many times it will hit the break even stoploss then trade higher and then hit the target profit if I had bigger balls(patience) and just held tight.

If you use "runners" then by all means use that break even strategy but then the correct trigger to move your stoploss to breakeven is at 11tics not 10tics.(in my case for HSI = 1 tick greater then your 1st target) personally I don't use runners....but if I get up to 3+ contracts I might consider it.

In the beginning I would trade SIM live then trade the session on SIM replay that night (learning from my mistakes).....you can learn twice as fast

Anyway enough rambling from me....just remember it takes time to master yourself. If you want to dig deeper look at the works of Dr Van Tharp...books/home study only.

Thank you so much for this. I enjoy the rambling !!!
Yes, I'm mainly sticking to SIM because this instrument intimates me. I've taken 2 trades live total and am 2 for 2 both winners. Overall, I feel I'm getting the feel for how this one flows but the speed and volatility are something I'm not used to which is why I'm trying to figure out the correct stop/targets to set.

I have not studied the PATS method at all. I've seen it discussed here around on the forums before. Judging by your consistency I think it might be something I should invest some time in and attempt to apply it to the HSI/MHI. TY!

Thanked by:
Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

10 Jun 20

Bit of struggle today (7/9) + 53tics....first losing trade was dumb - poor signal bar.
I keep wavering between a 20tic target for contract 2 or as I normally do just 10tic target for the whole order...everytime I try it is doesn't workout.... Patience is a virtue.

Thanked by:
Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

jakobe View Post
Thank you so much for this. I enjoy the rambling !!!
Yes, I'm mainly sticking to SIM because this instrument intimates me. I've taken 2 trades live total and am 2 for 2 both winners. Overall, I feel I'm getting the feel for how this one flows but the speed and volatility are something I'm not used to which is why I'm trying to figure out the correct stop/targets to set.

I have not studied the PATS method at all. I've seen it discussed here around on the forums before. Judging by your consistency I think it might be something I should invest some time in and attempt to apply it to the HSI/MHI. TY!

Definitely give PATS some serious attention...it will be worth your time

emmett
New Zealand

Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Received: 21

Godzilla View Post
10 Jun 20

Bit of struggle today (7/9) + 53tics....first losing trade was dumb - poor signal bar.
I keep wavering between a 20tic target for contract 2 or as I normally do just 10tic target for the whole order...everytime I try it is doesn't workout.... Patience is a virtue.

Hi Godzilla,

I know Mack doesn't teach this per se, but sometimes I wonder whether in a strongly trending market (i.e. EMA in a steep angle), it makes more sense to hang onto both contracts for longer (with SL at BE). If you can get in on a 2nd entry after a retrace, there's often a very good chance of making more than your usual fixed target, especially if it's the start of a measured move. Food for thought, anyway.

Cheers

Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

Thursday/ Friday trading results.

Thu - -80tics (0/2) - turned it off....if I get 2 in a row wrong I know something is NOT right so it's best to walk away from the screen.....try and minimise losses when things are not going well. No patience yesterday...sux!
Assembled a trampoline in the back yard for the kids instead that kept me busy and replaced the headset bearings on my road bike..sweet!

Fri - Mojo is back but not 100% (6/9) + 46tics.....I know I'm leaving $$$ on the table but the curry lunch is calling.

A great week overall but lets forget about Thursday..

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 15, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts