NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Would you share your Holy Grail?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Aurac with 29 posts (52 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 29 posts (113 thanks)
    3. looks_3 hyperscalper with 28 posts (34 thanks)
    4. looks_4 SunTrader with 23 posts (9 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 6.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 5.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 3.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Aurac with 1.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 77,598 views
    2. thumb_up 901 thanks given
    3. group 440 followers
    1. forum 358 posts
    2. attach_file 12 attachments

Search this Thread

Would you share your Holy Grail?

trepidation 
San Jose, California

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 167

joe s View Post
Trader's will never give up the quest for the Holy Grail

That's how traders are always going to be adapting to market conditions. It's the complacent ones that get steamrolled. Also, if I was making a million a year, I think I'd drastically stop exploring trading and focus more on enjoying life.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
use extra computer for optimisation
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle

Fxfutures1976 
London

Experience: Advanced
Platform: cqg integrated,ninjatrade
Trading: Futures and forex
Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 69

trepidation View Post
If you found the Holy Grail, would you share it with the world? By Holy Grail, all I mean is a system or methodology that can consistently yield profits in all market conditions however it does it and also make a good ROI.

Would you ask for compensation? I once bought a course and to this day I'm haunted by what this popular guru let accidently slip. He said that these days he was too busy teaching to actually trade. Think about that for a minute. He was living off of other people's hopes and dreams and in doing so was living their dreams.

So far there've been alot of people that have been trying to sell the dream of systems and strategies or even signals that make bank. These days I've seen an evolution in the landscape where people try to sell the idea that you can't get rich quick and instead they sell another dream via support groups or training. To me, both of these types of people are feeding off the dreams of other people. That isn't to say they don't produce value, but if they created an absurd amount of value they would be renown across the internet.

Just as this is two sides of a coin, so too is the question of the Holy Grail. On one side there's the idea of a self-fulfilling prophecy (candlestick patterns) and on the other there's this idea of alpha decay where the more people that know, the less effective your edge becomes (arbitraging). What are your thoughts?

Im not sure on the phrase 'Holy Grail ' But I know for a fact that I would not disclose my methods that have taken me 10 years of blood sweat and tears to anyone.
I also wouldn't sell any ideas in fear of that person profiting from my hard work.

Anyone that promises you can ''learn to Trade their holy grail'' for a fee is nothing but a fraud.
There are so many scammers out there saying trading is easy to learn it make my blood boil.

Thanked by:
 joe s 
sacramento ca us

Platform: Ninja Trader,Trade Station
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 133
Thanks Received: 105

I would lease my system to a limited amount of people not sure what that number would be but if I
could get 10 or 20k a month extra why not. Most of us could make money. The key to financial freedom is
multiple streams of income then when I am not trading I can still be making money along with other income
streams

Thanked by:
 EB47 
Vancouver BC Canada

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: e-mini Futures
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

I just found this question pop up on my e-mail and took a peek at some of the responses.
I've been working on educating myself to learn how to trade, making a consistent profit, for over 20 years.
The most important thing I found over the years was answering the question "What is the Grail?"
The best thing that we fellow traders can talk about is to focus in on what a Daily, Weekly and Monthly Consistent Profit should be.
When you can answer this, then you have completed the first step to identifying what the Grail really is ....
Everything else is BS.

Thanked by:

justtrader 
San Francisco, CA

Platform: Ninja Trader, TOS
Trading: es, rty, cl, gc, nq, ym
Thanks Given: 104
Thanks Received: 173

mtzimmer1 View Post
I’ll throw in my two cents. I’ve developed a few trading models that are likely to outperform the broad market in both absolute and risk-adjusted return. I trade these models and I share them with my family. I would not sell these models because 1) I don’t want to lose my edge and 2) I don’t want to make money from marketing to struggling traders, I want to make money from trading.

Now as far as daytrading goes, I have failed 100’s of times to write an intraday black box algo that is profitable. The only alternative then becomes discretionary trading. When I reach a point of consistent profitability I will certainly share my methodology for free because I think it is less likely for a discretionary trader to lose their edge due to ‘overcrowding.’

-Zimmer

@mtzimmer1 - Thats the good spirit, willing to share. Keep it up.

Thanked by:
 artemiso 
New York, NY

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Vanguard 401k
Broker: Yahoo Finance
Trading: Mutual funds
Thanks Given: 784
Thanks Received: 2,685

@Big Mike @bobwest Thanks for the mentions.

There's definitely no holy grail.

Even having architected everything end-to-end, and having every line of code in my possession, I don't think it's possible. There's just so many moving pieces. Even well-oiled, simple and highly mechanical arbitrage strategies that trade 10+% ADV require constant human intervention and fine tuning of risk parameters, and break all the time.

Others have brought up good points about the unreplicable nature of technology and personnel that I'll not rehash. There's others that go behind a successful strategy that are boringly unreplicable: A firm with a >1B quant portfolio will often push billions in volume to test simple hypotheses for improving their execution algorithm. Even a small firm like mine runs A/B tests in the live market that would turnover a few % of the entire market's volume to experiment with strategy changes. It's costly but sometimes you get lucky because you've built up a good buffer of PnL and can afford these experiments. Some firms send people to nonprofit organizations in Asia that run surveys, whose researchers need to be convinced to take your $100k check for their data. I've also run very undifferentiated strategies that just had 30+ small little improvements that took them past the profitability hurdle.

If I could time travel and give my younger self advice in 8 words, the holy grail would be "There's no free lunch," - in blood - for extra emphasis, because I was already warned going into this line of work. The other 3 words would be, "Don't hire X". An indirect consequence of the no-free-lunch theorem is that almost everything is a risk premium, not an alpha, it's just not always obvious what latent risk you're taking on. I feel everyone needs to know this before working on a strategy. Naive examples: You can collect a very long string of profitable trades selling options OTM. There's also a wide class of "carry trades" with seemingly consistent profitability where you are giving up risk-free rate, some operational risk, or more, to hold some inventory to maturity.

Trading is very similar to chess. On average, every generation gets a little better than the last because it accumulates the tools and learnings of the previous generation. There's a couple of dominant players at the top of each style of chess (rapid, blitz, classical, bullet), and the top 3 win nearly all the time despite being separated a thin +3.5% from the rest of the field. From time to time, companies fall off their peak - Getco, ATD, Chopper, RGM Advisors, to name a few, were all incredibly dominant in their heydays. There's other firms to take their place as they deteriorate.

There's no secret sauce to it. Lots of research; plenty of practice; immaculate preparation; learning from mistakes; concentrating on several openings that you are good at. And some good luck on match days.

Like chess, it's difficult to sustain the business because of eventual mental decline - in this case, the reward function is heavily skewed to the 1 or 2 founders who eventually lose interest in running the business. Very few do carve a sustainable succession plan. If you were to ask me to name the most important deciding factor (or "holy grail"), it's just a sustainable succession plan.

One guy who built a great succession plan goes by the name of David Shaw, and he's quoted for saying "I find edges where it's expensive." That's a good holy grail to go by. I personally think it's best to find edges where it's very boring.

Aurac 
London+United Kingdom

Platform: eSignal
Broker: InteractiveBrokers
Trading: If it moves...
Thanks Given: 90
Thanks Received: 93

SunTrader View Post
If you want to become a doctor you, of course, learn from other doctors. Not gurus.

If you want to become a great doctor that comes from within

IMO. Agree or not I've said my piece.

Ah ah...I think I understand. When I say guru, I mean mentors, advisers, shoulders of giants.
e.g. I consider Jack Schwager(Market Wizards) a guru but he will be the first to tell you that he's not a trader.
But you can learn a lot by reading his books and understanding his philosophy of trading.
I do agree with you that over time as you develop your own philosophy you will have less and less need to adopt someone else's philosophy but of course you should always be open to improvements.

Whether I agree or disagree I am always interested in other people's opinion and why.
Your path you must decide

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,526
Thanks Received: 26,292

This will probably not be read by the ones who most need it, so let me just repeat it here.

artemiso View Post
@Big Mike @bobwest Thanks for the mentions.

There's definitely no holy grail.

An indirect consequence of the no-free-lunch theorem is that almost everything is a risk premium, not an alpha, it's just not always obvious what latent risk you're taking on. I feel everyone needs to know this before working on a strategy.

Folks, read this post in full and think on its meaning. If you're not sure about the lingo, "alpha" refers to doing better than a market bechmark. It could be called having an "edge."

If you're not sure who this is, he's the guy who's beating you.

Bob.

--------------------

Edit: for context, refer to these posts:

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote

Aurac 
London+United Kingdom

Platform: eSignal
Broker: InteractiveBrokers
Trading: If it moves...
Thanks Given: 90
Thanks Received: 93

bobwest View Post
This will probably not be read by the ones who most need it, so let me just repeat it here.

Folks, read this post in full and think on its meaning. If you're not sure about the lingo, "alpha" refers to doing better than a market bechmark. It could be called having an "edge."

If you're not sure who this is, he's the guy who's beating you.

Bob.

--------------------

Edit: for context, refer to these posts:

I don't think the issue is in the reading. There are different kinds of learnings. Intellectual learnings and experiential learnings. The advise you are giving can only be learned experientially.
Therein lies the rub.
Edward O Thorpe said in his biography (A man for all markets) that when he was a kid his mother repeatedly warned him about touching a hot stove. He thought he knew what it meant to touch a hot stove but it was only after he experienced it that he understood what it meant

Thanked by:

Schnook 
Munich, Germany

Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: liquid products
Thanks Given: 1,166
Thanks Received: 1,917

Aurac View Post
I don't think the issue is in the reading. There are different kinds of learnings. Intellectual learnings and experiential learnings. The advise you are giving can only be learned experientially.
Therein lies the rub.
Edward O Thorpe said in his biography (A man for all markets) that when he was a kid his mother repeatedly warned him about touching a hot stove. He thought he knew what it meant to touch a hot stove but it was only after he experienced it that he understood what it meant

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Chinese proverb (often attributed to Confucious)

Last Updated on November 6, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts