NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

CFTC / Large Trader

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 6 posts (20 thanks)
    2. looks_two comegetme with 5 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 4 posts (22 thanks)
    4. looks_4 FuturesTrader71 with 2 posts (14 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one FuturesTrader71 with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Schnook with 6.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 5.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 3.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 7,059 views
    2. thumb_up 84 thanks given
    3. group 7 followers
    1. forum 22 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

CFTC / Large Trader

comegetme
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

SMCJB View Post
It's all volume based. SOFR is a much much smaller contract in liquidity terms.

Probably falls into the 25 lot category.

Glad you worked it out.

On an unrelated note now that we are already talking about SOFR futures: I am using short positions in 3-month SOFR futures, ca. 1 year to expiration, as a hedge against rising interest rates for a treasury futures portfolio. Basically a carry trade on the slope of the yield curve. Can you think of any better alternatives?

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,688
Thanks Received: 2,651

SMCJB View Post
My positions definitely exceed the level required for reporting. I'm a spread trader so that's actually a lot easier than you might think. Have you considered the total position summed across all accounts as thats what the CFTC look at. With regards to your specific situation I'm sorry I have nothing to offer. As @myrrdin found out, 25 lots of the "Bloomberg Commodity Index" contract - which is a tiny contract - fell into the 'other commodity' positions. Is it possible you have a position in a smaller less known contract that doesn't have a specific position limit?

Correct, I had to fill out this form although my account size is moderate.

All contracts without a defined position limit are summarized as "Other commodity positions". If the contracts you hold are small contracts, you will soon fall into this category of traders.

But: After filling out the form some time ago, which was easy, I never heard again from CFTC, and never had to do any reporting or answering questions.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Schnook 
Munich, Germany

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: liquid products
Thanks Given: 1,166
Thanks Received: 1,917

comegetme View Post
On an unrelated note now that we are already talking about SOFR futures: I am using short positions in 3-month SOFR futures, ca. 1 year to expiration, as a hedge against rising interest rates for a treasury futures portfolio. Basically a carry trade on the slope of the yield curve. Can you think of any better alternatives?

Carry and rolldown trades work well in a stable rate environment, but if and when tapering becomes a reality, the belly of the curve could blow out, wiping out all of your carry and then some while your hedge does nothing to protect you. To be perfectly honest I don't like the trade you have on in large part because Powell and co. have made it abundantly clear that "tapering is not tightening," so if they follow through on their promise, intermediate to long-dated Treasuries could sell off pretty hard while the SOFR stays pinned at near zero. Real rates are deeply negative at present, largely due to QE, but massive deficit financing needs will cause issuance (supply) to remain substantial, potentially overwhelming private and foreign demand for US debt over the next year or two.

Overall I just don't find it an attractive risk-return proposition, but this is my opinion only and not meant to discourage anyone from reaching their own conclusions.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 4, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts