NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Oil price negative?

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 71 posts (168 thanks)
    2. looks_two GFIs1 with 33 posts (98 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SunTrader with 25 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 NotKenGriffin with 15 posts (10 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one GFIs1 with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 2.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bassa with 2.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 56,208 views
    2. thumb_up 501 thanks given
    3. group 246 followers
    1. forum 260 posts
    2. attach_file 16 attachments

Search this Thread

Oil price negative?

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

@TraderMich LMAX CFDs?

spideysteve View Post
That’s crazy. Somehow reminds me of when Venezuela was going through a big currency crisis, so they introduced the “strong Bolivar” which was supposed to be .. stronger I guess. But really, that was just a shell game with rampant inflation.

It's actually quite common to do that. That's actually exactly how Eurodollars work (LIBOR initerest rate not EUR:USD) where the quoted futures prices is 100 minus the interest rate.

For everybody predicting the end of oil, CLZ30 settled $54 today. Could be a good sale?

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

SunTrader
Boca Raton, FL

Thanks Given: 81
Thanks Received: 182

TraderMich View Post
Just for clarification here. Oil (US Crude Oil Spot) has not traded negative, lowest value has been just below 10 USD (this time around) - It was "only" the future contracts that traded sub zero.

Just for clarification ... you do realize CL, which is what I posted, is the futures and not spot?

Thanked by:
SunTrader
Boca Raton, FL

SMCJB View Post
@TraderMich LMAX CFDs?
It's actually quite common to do that. That's actually exactly how Eurodollars work (LIBOR initerest rate not EUR:USD) where the quoted futures prices is 100 minus the interest rate.

For everybody predicting the end of oil, CLZ30 settled $54 today. Could be a good sale?

$53.95 to be exact but there are a helluva lot of trading days make that trading years left till CLZ30 settles for good.

NotKenGriffin
Houston TX

Thanks Given: 29
Thanks Received: 19

TraderMich View Post
Recieved this from LMAX today - Plaese note this is regarding Oil Spot prices NOT future/dericiate pricing:

"Spot" oil prices are typically just calendar month averages of futures prices (with there also being a transport/grade differential for different physical markets). It looks like LMAX just uses a rolling average of the prompt two months for CL on NYMEX.

SunTrader
Boca Raton, FL

SMCJB View Post
@TraderMich, @SunTrader, @spideysteve, @GFIs1 any chance we can move the Green discussion to a more relevant thread? (Don't forget half of the US thinks Global warming is a liberal conspiracy)

Pathetic. CME/NYMEX have increased margins 3 times in 6 days. Let them do there hjob.

They are.

Thanked by:

TraderMich 
Copenhagen + Denmark

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Broker: Trade Future 4 Less. Data Feed/Order routing: CQG
Trading: DAX; ES; Bund Futures
Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Received: 57

NotKenGriffin View Post
"Spot" oil prices are typically just calendar month averages of futures prices (with there also being a transport/grade differential for different physical markets). It looks like LMAX just uses a rolling average of the prompt two months for CL on NYMEX.

LMAX do not use any thing - LMAX works as an exchange i.e the pricing is based on bit and ask. - It is spot oil that is the basis - The Cl future and other crude oil futures are deriviate of spot oil not the other way around.

The same way ES future is a deriviate of the S&P 500 Index, so Es is following the index and not the other way around (In general!!!)

TraderMich 
Copenhagen + Denmark

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Broker: Trade Future 4 Less. Data Feed/Order routing: CQG
Trading: DAX; ES; Bund Futures
Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Received: 57

SunTrader View Post
Just for clarification ... you do realize CL, which is what I posted, is the futures and not spot?

Yes exactly - That is what I am trying to say CL is not oil CL is an Oil Future and spot oil is the actual oil abd spot oil never went negative - so far

So when we are debating negaive oil prices that happen this week we need to be clear what we talk about - The oil future or the actual oil price.

Spot oil went down to approx 10 usd the Oil future went negative due to an long squeez

NotKenGriffin
Houston TX

Thanks Given: 29
Thanks Received: 19

TraderMich View Post
LMAX do not use any thing - LMAX works as an exchange i.e the pricing is based on bit and ask. - It is spot oil that is the basis - The Cl future and other crude oil futures are deriviate of spot oil not the other way around.

Nope. Oil is unique in that there is a dynamic feedback loop between the spot and the futures markets because of CMA pricing (at least in the US).

LMAX Guide for Spot Crude Oil: "The spot price for oil is derived from a weighted average between the 1st and 2nd month Future Contracts and follows the business day convention from New York."

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

TraderMich View Post
That is what I am trying to say CL is not oil CL is an Oil Future and spot oil is the actual oil abd spot oil never went negative

I didn't see it, so don't know, but are you saying that Argus's WTI Assessment on Monday was above $10 and that there was a $47 difference between the CL Settlement and the Argus Assessment?

And you keep saying Spot Oil. I assume you mean Spot WTI. There are dozens of different US crudes and several of them have traded below $10 and some negative already.

SunTrader
Boca Raton, FL

TraderMich View Post
Yes exactly - That is what I am trying to say CL is not oil CL is an Oil Future and spot oil is the actual oil abd spot oil never went negative - so far

So when we are debating negaive oil prices that happen this week we need to be clear what we talk about - The oil future or the actual oil price.

Spot oil went down to approx 10 usd the Oil future went negative due to an long squeez

I understand except you referenced my post about the futures to point out it was only the futures.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 23, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts