NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Option leverage calculation

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 6 posts (9 thanks)
    2. looks_two Prophet85 with 4 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Bookworm with 2 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Silver Dragon with 1 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silver Dragon with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two BrianDreamTrader with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 1.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Bookworm with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 8,559 views
    2. thumb_up 16 thanks given
    3. group 4 followers
    1. forum 13 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Option leverage calculation

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

@Bookworm. While I do understand your point - and would obviously cede that most would pay more focus to gamma than leverage (hint to @Prophet85), I would have to argue that technically you are incorrect, at least in this case where the use of the word 'leverage' has been specifically defined.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Bookworm 
Long Island, NY

Platform: TOS
Broker: TD Ameritrade
Trading: Equities, index options and futures/futures options
Thanks Given: 66
Thanks Received: 198

The change in Delta with underlying price movement (Gamma) is orders of magnitude more important than the change of Delta over time which, if the underlying doesn't move, works against the option. It is Gamma that makes OTM options into big money makers by multiplying the Delta (and value) which is leverage to me.

Prophet85
Gothenburg Sweden

Thanks Given: 53
Thanks Received: 24

Thank you all for taking your time to answer my questions!

The reason I was asking for leverage was for position sizing purposes which I have a hard time figuring out with options. However maybe my question wasn't asked properly so let me try to ask the question in a better way.

When trading stocks one way to position size is to equally divide your capital evenly. For example if you have $100 000 and want to buy 4 different stocks then one way to position size would be to just simply buy $25000 worth of stocks for each of the 4 stocks. Now let's assume I want to buy 4 out of the money call options (all with different underlying stocks) all with strike price of around 5% above each underlying stocks' current closing price. How would I positions size properly so the underlying stocks for the call options as closely as possible match each other?

Is there a good method or calculation that I can use to achieve this? I assume I have to use some of the greeks to be able to do this properly but I am not quite sure how...

Any input is appreciated!

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

Leverage and positioning sizing are two very different things.

First question is would you really want to buy $25k of each of the four stocks. If the 4 stocks were Tesla (TSLA), Advance Micro Devices (AMD), Walmart (WMT) and Colgate-Palmolive (CL) would you want equal weightings of each? One of those four is explosive, one fairly volatile and two rather mundane in comparison. Maybe you want something more volatility balanced like $5k worth of TSLA, $10K of AMD, $40k of WMT and $45k of CL?

In terms of the option question, it would depend what you wanted size equally. Obvious things to size would be delta but that would run into the same problem as above. So maybe you equally weight volatility adjusted delta's. You could also size the premiums equally. The fact that TSLA is so much more volatile the WMT would be reflected in the option price and would probably yield similar results (as long as you are looking at similar options).

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 4, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts