NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How did you learn to trade?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one redbarntrades with 6 posts (27 thanks)
    2. looks_two toucan94506bm with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 vmodus with 5 posts (29 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Rrrracer with 3 posts (22 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one TCCONDE with 8.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Rrrracer with 7.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 vmodus with 5.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 redbarntrades with 4.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 12,314 views
    2. thumb_up 250 thanks given
    3. group 415 followers
    1. forum 55 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

How did you learn to trade?

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

mtzimmer1 View Post
My journey started with watching my dad manage my Roth IRA as the custodian. While he was always willing to teach, as a teenager I felt that investing/long-term trading was incredibly boring.

Very interesting journey, thanks for sharing! I find what your dad did very interesting, mainly because:
  1. I manage my children's college accounts (Coverdale)
  2. Like your dad, I plan to open Roth IRA's for them in the near future, even though they aren't even teens yet; I can only imagine what their retirement accounts will look like in 45 years.
Your dad sounds like a smart guy.

~vmodus

Enjoy everything!
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

redbarntrades View Post
Sounds to me like we have a similar pair of glasses on. Yep, my little wifey and I have spent 3.5 years @ 60-70 hours a week staring at charts, watching trading/psychology videos. Since we don't have mentors and have no intention of paying some huge fee for training, we have taken our own path.

It is very cool that you and your wife trade together. My wife and I trade together too, albeit a bit differently than you and yours. I hope that you find the "whole is greater than the sum of it's parts", as we do.

~vmodus

Enjoy everything!
Thanked by:
redbarntrades
Kalispell=Mt./USA

Thanks Given: 354
Thanks Received: 426

vmodus View Post
It is very cool that you and your wife trade together. My wife and I trade together too, albeit a bit differently than you and yours. I hope that you find the "whole is greater than the sum of it's parts", as we do.

Thanks! Yes, it's great that we are running this "business" together. I had a building business for 35 years, so establishing and running a business is nothing new. My wife and I are focused on the same things. I believe that it is harder to give 100% to something if a spouse is not behind you. Every couple has their own dynamic, but for us, we understand the focus that each of us has and are not irritated the the other is spending so much time in pursuit of success.

Best regards to you and yours!

Thanked by:
toucan94506bm
danville ca usa

Thanks Given: 48
Thanks Received: 75

redbarrtrades... wow... nice area to live. i'm in california, but was born in lewiston and we went to spokane a lot, but never to where you live.

cheers
toucan

redbarntrades View Post
Thanks! Yes, it's great that we are running this "business" together. I had a building business for 35 years, so establishing and running a business is nothing new. My wife and I are focused on the same things. I believe that it is harder to give 100% to something if a spouse is not behind you. Every couple has their own dynamic, but for us, we understand the focus that each of us has and are not irritated the the other is spending so much time in pursuit of success.

Best regards to you and yours!

Thanked by:
redbarntrades
Kalispell=Mt./USA

toucan94506bm View Post
redbarrtrades... wow... nice area to live. i'm in california, but was born in lewiston and we went to spokane a lot, but never to where you live.

cheers
toucan

Thanks! Yep, it's quite beautiful here. Water is clean. Lakes are big. Mountains are majestic. Air is great.

Lewiston has its good points. The Snake river. Friends moved to Peck. Some pretty spots over there. I used to take my motorcycle and head up to Lolo Hot Springs when I lived it North Central Wa.

Had to get out of there (NCW). Got too crowded for my taste.

I do love the Redwoods on Norther Ca.

When time and money permit, you should come for a visit or better yet move here. Lots of room.

limitdown
Danbury, CT

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 10

simple enough question,

let me see how complicated I can make the answer....

from other floor traders.....

and from some top institutional types also....

although that being the case, it doesn't infer or convey advantage....

trading exposes you to YOU! It is one of (just in case there are other....), it is one of the toughest endeavors you will ever engage in secularly as you are directly envolved and emotionally envolved and directly effected (after the fact) by the results. See the common thread in that statement that has been made, by so many trading coaches, in other words and phrases?

yes, the common thread is the "You", in the equation.

learn to control him, her or that other guy and you're well on your way.....

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Platform: TradingView
Broker: Oanda
Trading: FX
Thanks Given: 17,582
Thanks Received: 9,752

LastDino View Post
WThese early years are where we are susceptible to do lot of silly things and lose everything but if we manage through them, good days are not too far away.

Every day buddy.. every day. Turns out if one doesn't totally blow out, is fortunate to be able to stay in the game for a while and touch the hot stove enough times, they eventually develop the ability to not do that anymore

Massive l 
OR/USA
Legendary /NQ Trader

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 1,859
Thanks Received: 5,106

Self-taught but never spent time studying someone else's strategy or anything like that. I pretty much just dived in and started creating strategies that made sense to me. The only book I ever got into was In the Zone by Mark Douglas. The strategy I've been using for a while a now consists of only price, volume ratios and long trades on a 2hr chart. I lost about 10k a year for 5 years before I started consistently booking profit.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
redbarntrades
Kalispell=Mt./USA

Massive l View Post
Self-taught but never spent time studying someone else's strategy or anything like that. I pretty much just dived in and started creating strategies that made sense to me. The only book I ever got into was In the Zone by Mark Douglas. The strategy I've been using for a while a now consists of only price, volume ratios and long trades on a 2hr chart. I lost about 10k a year for 5 years before I started consistently booking profit.

Individuals like you are the ones that build cities! Sounds to me like you are a "Never give up!" kind of guy.

Massive l 
OR/USA
Legendary /NQ Trader

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 1,859
Thanks Received: 5,106

redbarntrades View Post
Individuals like you are the ones that build cities! Sounds to me like you are a "Never give up!" kind of guy.

You're absolutely right. It's been a really crazy ride. Too many low points to count. I've hit some great highs but I'm not satisfied. Still a shit eating dog.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on February 15, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts