NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Deetee’s DAX Trading Journal (time based)

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Deetee with 421 posts (590 thanks)
    2. looks_two GFIs1 with 13 posts (23 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Schnook with 9 posts (23 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Miesto with 7 posts (14 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Schnook with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Miesto with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 GFIs1 with 1.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Deetee with 1.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 55,874 views
    2. thumb_up 702 thanks given
    3. group 30 followers
    1. forum 474 posts
    2. attach_file 194 attachments

Search this Thread

Deetee’s DAX Trading Journal (time based)

Deetee 
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader / IB /Rithmic
Broker: EdgeClear / InteractiveBrokers / Rithmic
Trading: DAX / (M)NQ / (M)ES
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,830
Thanks Received: 788

Tuesday

First day of the month

FDAX

Gap: up gap
Gap closed during IB: no
Position price at 9:30: above prior day HL
IB direction: long

With a filter on first day of the month, not-closed up gap and the IB green, the system is giving a nice trade.

DAX short (paper) trade
Entry 11:30
Exit 13:30
SL 46 pts
Result -19 pts

Historical results with this setup:
SumR 251 (17 trades/win% 88.2%)

So, SumR translates to a relative (to current FDAX price) result of X points per trade (SumR/No of trades/10000*9am open price).

Let’s see

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
19 thanks
ApexTraderFunding.com experience and review
17 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
13 thanks
EG Indicators
11 thanks
 Miesto 
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 801
Thanks Received: 1,194

Deetee View Post
Tuesday

SumR 251 (17 trades/win% 88.2%)

Hi Dennis,

I have a question, if you don't mind. Feel free to answer or ignore.

You are testing your system in realtime now for some time.

Say a setup has a 80% win probability based on historical results.

How does this (the historical results) compare to the daily results of your setups (since you started)?

So, maybe a 80% win probability based on historical data has for example 40% wins since you started?

Thanks,
-Michel

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Deetee 
Market Wizard

Wednesday

FDAX

Gap: no gap
Gap closed during IB: x
Position price at 9:30: inside prior day HL
IB direction: long

Not looking good for a trade (win% could do, but the SumR is just too low)

Thanked by:
 Deetee 
Market Wizard

Mich62 View Post
Hi Dennis,

How does this (the historical results) compare to the daily results of your setups (since you started)?

So, maybe a 80% win probability based on historical data has for example 40% wins since you started?

Thanks,
-Michel

Hi Michel,

I appreciate your questions and suggestions, so feel free to ask. I can use any help here.

Last year I started the system and went pretty ok, trading it live (with money). Then in Dec21/Jan+Feb22 there were several losses that took most of the profits, and Ukraine war started.
I also accepted an assignment, so didn’t had much time anymore, and took a break from the system. I'm still on that assigment (part-time).
I wanted to review the system as well, which I did in July/August22. And then started to paper trade it, which is not going well enough.
So, a fresh look at it might help. Like trying other tickers, but I think that is not enough.

To answer your question, each day is a different setup, because it is depending on IB OC, PrD OC & 2PrD OC (so 2 days ago). Then also gap + closed (or not) and the position of the price at 9:30 play a roll.
Not any day has the same ‘filters’/settings. That makes it hard to compare or improve specific setups.

After applying all those filters, I end up with let’s say 10-25 historical trades that give a good result (> trade) or not.
I believe less filters but more specific situations (like gaps + IB OC and PrD OC) give a higher probability of success.

Yesterday, based on some of these filters, it gave a 88% win% based on 17 trades.
This means there have been 17 days that had these same filters in the past ~12 years.
And when taken a short trade from 11:30-13:30 with a SL of 18% of ATR on these 17 days, 88% were winners. If I would add the new data (1st Nov) to the tool, that percentage would be about 82% (1 more loser).

There are endless things to try, but need time for that.
I think the tool is great, but how to use it well is not yet clear

Thank you,
Dennis

Thanked by:
Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

Thanks Given: 1,336
Thanks Received: 2,329

@Deetee

The following is not a personal criticism of what you are doing. I formulate here simply times in word and writing the one point, which I from quite clear experience simply know from my training, then lived and practiced. I'll start with this:

What I do not understand in this kind of trade, as you practice it, is the following and how often have I seen a decision made in this thread and then wondered if the man does not take this into account.

Well what do I mean?

The first point is this absolutely correct statement, which is so often pointed out and which I also perceive and experience myself in my own life, whether in the trade at that time or in general life: Good performance in the past is no guarantee that the same performance will be achieved in the future.

Since this should be clear, why do I not compare, and here is what I have always wondered and asked myself since it is of the utmost urgency, the chart with what the statistics tell me? If the statistics show a "short", but the chart clearly indicates an upward trend, then why should I trust the statistics and not my own clear analytical mind ?

Of course, I have to trust myself with the approach that I can afford an independent judgment, no matter what the statistics say. I think that here your trading system can be significantly improved. This is just my own opinion and especially my own experience.

As I said: No personal criticism and maybe it really brings something in your case, because the said has hands and feet, as they say here so with us.

Symple

Thanked by:
 Deetee 
Market Wizard

Symple View Post
@Deetee

Since this should be clear, why do I not compare, and here is what I have always wondered and asked myself since it is of the utmost urgency, the chart with what the statistics tell me? If the statistics show a "short", but the chart clearly indicates an upward trend, then why should I trust the statistics and not my own clear analytical mind ?

Of course, I have to trust myself with the approach that I can afford an independent judgment, no matter what the statistics say. I think that here your trading system can be significantly improved. This is just my own opinion and especially my own experience.

Symple

Thanks for your input @Symple , appreciated.

What I'm doing here is indeed very straigth forward, just looking at the statistics. I agree, no guarantees on historical stuff.

I also agree on having a bias in the morning, that would help. This independent judgement is very difficult. I have been trying that a few years ago without success, and searched for something that I don't need to take descissions, but just follow rules.
So I came up with this statistical trading system, and focussed fully on this.
I'm not there yet, and probably never will be unless I change things.

Let me think on how to get a bias for the day, ideally chart based. If you have suggestions, please let me know.

Thank you,
Deetee

Thanked by:
Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

Thanks Given: 1,336
Thanks Received: 2,329

Deetee View Post

Thanks for your input @Symple

---

Let me think on how to get a bias for the day, ideally chart based. If you have suggestions, please let me know.

---

Deetee

@Deetee

Thank you for your explanatory answer in which you also confirm how you personally understand and want to implement your trading approach. Also important that you mention that you have really tried the difficult, independent approach with the chart reading. So I guess you really know what you have in mind and it is not on my side to prove you any thing. Telling this:

The chart reading is only one tool of many and often contradicts with what the fundamental analysis so says. The more tools I have and understand, the broader I can base a trading decision on different information. The more tools I use, the more complicated it can be. But I do not have to explain that here, because every day with every new trading decision must also be taken on the current situation in the market.

To come now purely on the question of you, in which you ask for a possible guideline which works on daily basis, I can only say: Also here the range of knowledge purely on the area of the chart analysis is very broadly scattered. Note @GFIs1

I make the suggestion that I may post in the coming days, if you want this, simply times absolutely simple charts with my analysis of the current DAX market, if I think that your statistics could possibly be not ideal. Nothing complicated to keep it economically simple. This then also gives you the opportunity to compare how you assess the situation at the moment on the chart, even I say: This is long when looking at the whole picture.

But I have to say that my active Pro Tools like OptionVue, MetaStock, Omnitrader and the direct trading platforms are not active at the moment, because I don't have to work anymore. Maybe I will activate some in the private again in the future to have my fun trading.

Final question: What about your stomach feeling? Would you trust them to make a decision?

Symple

Thanked by:
 Deetee 
Market Wizard

Symple View Post
@Deetee

The chart reading is only one tool of many and often contradicts with what the fundamental analysis so says. The more tools I have and understand, the broader I can base a trading decision on different information. The more tools I use, the more complicated it can be. But I do not have to explain that here, because every day with every new trading decision must also be taken on the current situation in the market.

I make the suggestion that I may post in the coming days, if you want this,

Final question: What about your stomach feeling? Would you trust them to make a decision?

Symple

Thank you @Symple

Lots of tools indeed, and the more, the more complicated. I'm aware of that. One tool will say short, and the other one long. Complicated...

Yes, looking forward for your inputs. To make it part of a system I would like it to fit within the rules. But for now, it can give a indication, and can learn something from it.
Also, ideally I would add to my data set a long or short bias, but that would be hard to get for 12 years of data, unless it can be programmed.

If something works while testing it well, than I would be able to rely on it. Did many trades following @GFIs1, mostly before Covid, but still sometimes I do.

Thank you,
Dennis

Thanked by:
 Deetee 
Market Wizard

Thursday

Considering the FED interest increase, I would guess it will be a red day

FDAX

Gap: down gap
Gap closed during IB: no
Position price at 9:30: below prior day HL
IB direction: short

Looking at PrD OC, IB OC and down gap not closed, the tool gives a nice trade.
DAX short (paper) trade
Entry 11:30
Exit 13:30
SL 61 pts (large SL due to high ATR)
Result 64 pts

SumR 301 (16 trades/win% 75%)

So, SumR translates to a relative (to current FDAX price) result of X points per trade (SumR/No of trades/10000*9am open price).

Let’s see

Thanked by:
 Deetee 
Market Wizard

Tomorrow morning I won't be able to be behind the PC, but will check in the afternoon

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 17, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts