NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

MrMojoRisin's Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one MrMojoRisin with 348 posts (154 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 11 posts (17 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Sandpaddict with 11 posts (9 thanks)
    4. looks_4 rezak with 6 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 1.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two chalil with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Sandpaddict with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 MrMojoRisin with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 54,225 views
    2. thumb_up 190 thanks given
    3. group 16 followers
    1. forum 390 posts
    2. attach_file 811 attachments

Search this Thread

MrMojoRisin's Journal

MrMojoRisin 
Graz/Austria

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: YC, YW, YK
Thanks Given: 91
Thanks Received: 244

Friday February 18th

Drew charts for Sugar, Cocoa, Canola and Orange Juice.
Orange Juice is on the liquidity lower end, but still sufficient I'd say. One step lower would be Rough Rice which I intend not to trade because of fear of too much slippage.

Also made a general info's sheet.
I see 1 contract traded on a CME market as the norm and adapted the ICE traded markets to that.

I haven't looked into why exactly that is so yet, but interestingly the measurement unit Bushel actually isn't the same for every grain if you convert that into for example tons. Seems that must have also some other factor than just weight to it.

"Thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things"
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
22 thanks
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
19 thanks
ApexTraderFunding.com experience and review
15 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
12 thanks
EG Indicators
11 thanks
 chalil 
BC, Canada

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, TradingView
Trading: Futures: ES, CL, NG, 6E, 6J, 6C, 6A, ZN, ZB, ZC, ZL, ZW, ZS
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 8

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and efforts with us here.

You may want to pay some more attention to the volume build-up with the associated price action to get a heads-up on what may follow.

Good Luck, and keep sharing.

MrMojoRisin View Post
Wednesday February 16th

Drew Bar-charts for Lean Hogs, Soybean Oil and Soybean Meal, and continued on building a solid charting-base on SC.

Found 2 hindsight pattern:

Soybean Oil

This is a pattern I should definitely trade if I see it. The bottom could probably also be seen as a H&S.

Lean Hogs

This looks very nice in hindsight, but could have been a type of nerve-wrecker.
I would have probably done an entry with a loss as it still was more of a symmetrical Triangle, and then as it formed out like a perfect ascending Triangle, it did a gap-up on my entry day and barely sold down to the previous day's high, so I might have got no entry there and would have watched it spiking without me.
Such a scenario could be prevented by not waiting for confirmation, but in the long run I think such a missed trade and the slightly worse r/r gets probably offset by some losses I prevent.

Thanked by:
 chalil 
BC, Canada

May be worthwhile to add a column 'Daily Potential' (tick worth x (ticks between 1SD and VWAP)) in dollars/euros to get an idea of the 1SD profit/burn potential.

MrMojoRisin View Post
Friday February 18th

Drew charts for Sugar, Cocoa, Canola and Orange Juice.
Orange Juice is on the liquidity lower end, but still sufficient I'd say. One step lower would be Rough Rice which I intend not to trade because of fear of too much slippage.

Also made a general info's sheet.
I see 1 contract traded on a CME market as the norm and adapted the ICE traded markets to that.

I haven't looked into why exactly that is so yet, but interestingly the measurement unit Bushel actually isn't the same for every grain if you convert that into for example tons. Seems that must have also some other factor than just weight to it.

Thanked by:

MrMojoRisin 
Graz/Austria

chalil View Post
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and efforts with us here.

You may want to pay some more attention to the volume build-up with the associated price action to get a heads-up on what may follow.

Good Luck, and keep sharing.

Thanks for your interest!

I do try to keep an eye on volume, especially when a pattern-breakout day occurs, if significant volume might give me a clue for the reliability of the breakout.
But I disregard it for influencing any decision, since it will probably lead me down again the path of trying to avoid losses and overcomplicating.
According to the "authorities" I'm basing the method on, it shouldn't make that much difference in the futures.

Concerning SD, I haven't occupied myself with that until now. It might be an idea in the future, but for now it will probably lead to the same overcomplicating scenario based on my urge of "making every trade as equal as possible" of which I'm trying to get away currently.

"Thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things"
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,533
Thanks Received: 26,292

MrMojoRisin View Post

I was going to write that a "bushel" is a unit of volume (size), not of weight, but I thought I would look it up first. It turns out that a "bushel" is an odder unit of measure than it seems.

Quoting 
Bushels are now most often used as units of mass or weight rather than of volume. The bushels in which grains are bought and sold on commodity markets or at local grain elevators, and for reports of grain production, are all units of weight.[7] This is done by assigning a standard weight to each commodity that is to be measured in bushels. These bushels depend on the commodities being measured, and on the moisture content of the commodity. Some of the more common ones are:

Oats:
US: 32 lb[7] (14.5150 kg)
Canada: 34 lb[8] (15.4221 kg)
Barley: 48 lb[7] (21.7724 kg)
Malted barley: 34 lb (15.4221 kg)
Shelled maize (corn) at 15.5% moisture by weight: 56 lb[7] (25.4012 kg)
Wheat at 13.5% moisture by weight: 60 lb[7] (27.2155 kg)
Soybeans at 13% moisture by weight: 60 lb[9] (27.2 kg)
Other specific values are defined (and those definitions may vary within different jurisdictions, including from state to state in the United States) for other grains, oilseeds, fruits, vegetables, coal, hair and many other commodities.

Government policy in the United States is to phase out units such as the bushel and replace them with metric mass equivalents.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushel

Since different grains have different densities (mass divided by volume), it makes sense that "bushels" of different grains would weigh different amounts. It doesn't really make that much sense that "bushels" are still used, but that's tradition, I suppose....

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

MrMojoRisin 
Graz/Austria

bobwest View Post
I was going to write that a "bushel" is a unit of volume (size), not of weight, but I thought I would look it up first. It turns out that a "bushel" is an odder unit of measure than it seems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushel

Since different grains have different densities (mass divided by volume), it makes sense that "bushels" of different grains would weigh different amounts. It doesn't really make that much sense that "bushels" are still used, but that's tradition, I suppose....

Bob.

Interesting! That way it makes sense.
If I remember it correctly, there was a part in Reminiscences where Livermore did some huge trade in Cotton described in buying so and so many bushels. But that today actually is quoted in Cents per pound.
So maybe the folks in New York have "phased the bushel already out" (even though not metric).

Thanked by:
 chalil 
BC, Canada

👍😊 keep sharing, good luck !

MrMojoRisin View Post
Thanks for your interest!

I do try to keep an eye on volume, especially when a pattern-breakout day occurs, if significant volume might give me a clue for the reliability of the breakout.
But I disregard it for influencing any decision, since it will probably lead me down again the path of trying to avoid losses and overcomplicating.
According to the "authorities" I'm basing the method on, it shouldn't make that much difference in the futures.

Concerning SD, I haven't occupied myself with that until now. It might be an idea in the future, but for now it will probably lead to the same overcomplicating scenario based on my urge of "making every trade as equal as possible" of which I'm trying to get away currently.

Thanked by:

MrMojoRisin 
Graz/Austria

Monday February 21st

Kentucky Wheat

Unfortunately the technicalities with Mr. Paper and Mr. Sim aren't finished yet, but this would be an order-placement.
For it to be a valid and not a forced Triangle, I want to see an 1-4 or more alternating zig-zag move between the two borders. The two "x" I see as an additional bonus.
The confirmation I want, which is a clear close outside the border of which it broke out is given and if it rises above this day's high, there's no question for me anymore that it's worth the try.
Maybe Chicago Wheat can follow which closed weaker on Friday for a "Micro-Contract" trade in the ETF.

MrMojoRisin 
Graz/Austria

Tuesday February 22nd

Canola

Solid ascending Triangle but unfortunately still not able to trade.

Chicago Wheat

Chicago Wheat do followed Kentucky today, but under "unfortunate" circumstances.
First it gapped above the pattern border, then it got back a little in, but again rose too far outwards for making it possible to place the stop below the day-low given my risk-management rules.
So I had to move to the stop "below significant intraday low" rule and then finally the 1:2 min r/r looked not that favorable anymore.

But since it could as well be seen as a H&S with an up-slanting neckline, and applying this profit-target the situation looks better, I consider the situation still alright.

So I'll place a place a buying order, via the Wheat ETF, and aim for the Triangle 1:2 profit objective.

MrMojoRisin 
Graz/Austria

Wednesday February 23rd

Teucrium ETFs: No trading permission for retail clients! Would have been an idea to look that up before I put in the time to calculate my Micro-Contracts.
Typical case of being so enthusiastic about the idea and forgetting to check if that even works how I think it should.
Opening up a paper-trading account takes also way longer than I thought....

Last Updated on June 15, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts