NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Wyckoff quizzes

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one rgakalo with 30 posts (49 thanks)
    2. looks_two 58LesPaul with 26 posts (40 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Miesto with 19 posts (49 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Bermudan Option with 14 posts (29 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Miesto with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Bermudan Option with 2.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 rgakalo with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 58LesPaul with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 17,668 views
    2. thumb_up 231 thanks given
    3. group 20 followers
    1. forum 127 posts
    2. attach_file 56 attachments

Search this Thread

Wyckoff quizzes

Miesto 
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 801
Thanks Received: 1,193

Mich62 View Post
Quiz #9: up or down?

To decipher a naked chart (CL 89 tick from Feb. 2th, 04:34 EST), a chart without indicators and in this case even without time- & price axes, is very challenging to say the least. One tries to forecast future price movement but after a while studying the chart one sees indications that price might go up but also indications that price might go down. Who knows? Where to start and what to look for?

It's like looking at the National Leaders Tree picture. At first glance you will see a tree and two faces. If someone would ask you how many more faces you can see in this picture you eventually will come to ten faces. Once you see it it's impossible to unsee it. Same with chart reading, you need to learn what to look for.

National Leaders Tree

Luckily we can resort to the writings of traders from long time ago and from traders not so long time ago. Through a life long dedication, observing and studying the markets, they gained a wealth of knowledge and experience we can make good use of.

One of those traders, from a long time ago, is Richard D. Wyckoff.

Wyckoff wrote: "Charts have actual forecasting value because they indicate supply and demand (pressure and support), the volume of trading and the time factor. They form a concrete record of the forces lifting and depressing prices. There is nothing so good for this purpose as charts."

And: "The Time Factor is also important because it enables us to estimate the speed of the advances and declines — whether the buying or selling is urgent or leisurely; whether it is slow or rapid accumulation, or distribution."

"Whenever you study the tape or a chart, consider what you see there as an expression of the forces that lift and depress prices."

Wyckoff taught us to think in waves: "In studying the distance and duration of each wave, if the buying waves are longer in duration and travel further than the selling waves, we get an indication that the immediate trend is upward. If the selling waves exceed the buying waves in time and distance, the immediate trend is downward. Whenever the buying and selling waves seem to offset each other and no material strength or weakness is indicated, the immediate trend is in doubt. Our position should then be neutral."

Another trader, from not so long ago, is David H. Weis. David used the writings of Wyckoff and took the so called Wyckoff method to a higher level. Almost 100 years after Wyckoff put his knowledge to paper David renewed the attention to the Wyckoff method making it more easily available and adding his Weis Wave, an outgrowth of Wyckoff's tape reading chart.

In his excellent book " Trades About to Happen" David wrote: "first, we will focus on the lines. Reading a chart without lines is like studying a world map without boundary lines". Later on he continued to show how to read the forces in the market by using his Weis Wave.

So we start by adding lines. Using only lines we can construct chart 1. By just adding some lines the chart suddenly becomes more "readable". Again, we try to decipher who is in charge, the buyers or the sellers. We want to join the major force. On chart 1 we can identify a trend channel. Price breaks out of this channel and test the breakout making a new high. High prices attracts sellers and from this new high supply comes in printing a down wave (the action) exceeding the last buying wave in time and distance. Just like Wyckoff taught us to look for. Just based on this observation one should already think to go short. Can it be just a consolidation phase before continuing the trend. Yes, sure, and sometimes it does and we will book a small loss.

Next we do is we examine the buying power (the reaction) on the next swing up. Chart 2 is how David liked to display his waves. A 1.2K volume on the wave up to the high signals climactic buying. The 1.7K volume on the next down wave showed supply followed by just 193 & 208 contracts traded on the subsequent up waves. No demand, go short, David would say. He liked to hide the bars and look only at the waves with their respective volume, see chart 3.

To quote Wyckoff once again: "Successful tape reading is a study of Force; it requires ability to judge which side has the greatest pulling power and one must have the courage to go with that side. There are critical points which occur in each swing, just as in the life of a business or individual. At these junctures it seems as though a feather’s weight on either side would determine the immediate trend. Anyone who can spot these points has much to win and little to lose".

Chart 1 - Drawing Lines

Chart 2 - Wave Volume

Chart 3 - Without bars

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

Bermudan Option 
Chicago, Illinois

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView
Broker: ThinkOrSwim
Trading: Forex, Stock & Options
Thanks Given: 846
Thanks Received: 471

Mich62 View Post
Quiz #9: up or down?

Can we get volume on future quizzes for consistency's sake?

Miesto 
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Legendary Market Wizard

Quiz #10: up or down?

58LesPaul 
Owensboro, KY

Trading: ES/NQ
Thanks Given: 197
Thanks Received: 101

Wish I could annotate these charts

SC at left
Chart bases(TR) to build up cause
Breaks above TR(JAC)
Tests the breakout(BUTC)

Looks like a perfect Wyckoff schematic to go higher

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Bermudan Option 
Chicago, Illinois

Experience: Beginner
Broker: ThinkOrSwim
Trading: Forex, Stock & Options
Thanks Given: 846
Thanks Received: 471

Expecting higher prices

Thanked by:
 Miesto 
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Legendary Market Wizard

Mich62 View Post

Two reactions, both are spot on with respect to Wyckoff. But sorry guys, I wanted to show something else. Something I think it's important to realize. Something you won't see in books or courses. I agree, a near perfect accumulation phase near a support level (YL) ready for markup. I have seen it work out hundred's of times. It's not that difficult to find these kind of patterns. Especially after market close (pun intended). However finding them real-time in different markets across different time frames requires a lot of screen time & practice. Once found, trading it live is a challenge on it's own. As a matter of fact I bought this market. It could have ended in disaster. Freezing, hoping and then the inevitable margin call. Experience is speaking.

The chart is CL 1m from Feb 8th. 04:53 EST.

Chart 1 is my analysis.

Chart 2 is what happened. Crude Oil is bullish, not? That's $2 down in 30 minutes, $2K per contract, ough. This is what most sellers from Wyckoff courses, the pundits, won't show you and what makes people lose their money, and their faith.

I was looking to go long for a mean reversion trade with targets VPOC, PVPOC, PVAH, YH and further, or in crypto terms, to the moon.

Anyway, was there a way to foresee the sell-off?

Price is consolidating around PRL (y-day's low) and is below PVAL & VWAP which is bearish. I am trading a reversal (mean reversion) looking for price to get back into value, by definition counter-trend. I think it's difficult to foresee such a sell-off, which is often triggered by news, although there was something of a minor clue and that is that after the SOS price had two attempts to go higher and failed. Price was struggling at the third attempt, small bars at VWAP, before a larger bear bar brought price right back to the range, and then all the way to the low of the range where it broke down to find buyers.

This is why we always, always use a stop. Max just below the last swing low, just inside the range. We prevent major damage to our bankroll and are free to re-examine the situation, maybe going short.

Mark Douglas said "Anything can, and will, happen". That's good to remember. Last chart, chart 3, is where I got out. Thank god. You have been warned.

p.s. later on the day there was a nice reversal back to VWAP (on the 1m) from 10:55 EST onward till 12:57.

Chart 1 Analysis

Chart 2 What happened

Chart 3 In & Out

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,525
Thanks Received: 26,292

Mich62 View Post
Chart 2 is what happened. Crude Oil is bullish, not? That's $2 down in 30 minutes, $2K per contract, ough. This is what most sellers from Wyckoff courses, the pundits, won't show you and what makes people lose their money, and their faith.

Well said and well played.

No method can do more than help you see which way the probabilities are leaning.

If it doesn't work out, that's why you have a stop, and why you should not be married to a trade. Kick it out and go on to the next one.

It's not a failing of the method and it's not a personal failing either, unless you hold on hoping it will work out, after it hasn't.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote

mwf2220 
Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates

Experience: None
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Philip Capital
Trading: futures
Thanks Given: 1,555
Thanks Received: 392

Edit Oops - guess I was a bit late with this. I generally try not to look at what others have written so I don't get influenced, but I'll leave this up here since I think it makes a great lesson -> admitting when you are wrong was a big part of this quiz...

Thanks for the chart @Mich62 - good one.

M

Mich62 View Post

I'm saying up. The range that develops after the selling climax is broken by the strong move up while making HL's and the last mini-range represents the test of this breakout.

Thanked by:
 Miesto 
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Legendary Market Wizard

mwf2220 View Post
I'm saying up. The range that develops after the selling climax is broken by the strong move up while making HL's and the last mini-range represents the test of this breakout.

Thanks, answer in post #116

Thanked by:
 58LesPaul 
Owensboro, KY

Trading: ES/NQ
Thanks Given: 197
Thanks Received: 101

Mich62 View Post
Two reactions, both are spot on with respect to Wyckoff. But sorry guys, I wanted to show something else. Something I think it's important to realize. Something you won't see in books or courses. I agree, a near perfect accumulation phase near a support level (YL) ready for markup. I have seen it work out hundred's of times. It's not that difficult to find these kind of patterns. Especially after market close (pun intended). However finding them real-time in different markets across different time frames requires a lot of screen time & practice. Once found, trading it live is a challenge on it's own. As a matter of fact I bought this market. It could have ended in disaster. Freezing, hoping and then the inevitable margin call. Experience is speaking.

The chart is CL 1m from Feb 8th. 04:53 EST.

Chart 1 is my analysis.

I was looking to go long for a mean reversion trade with targets VPOC, PVPOC, PVAH, YH and further, or in crypto terms, to the moon.

Anyway, was there a way to foresee the sell-off?

Price is consolidating around PRL (y-day's low) and is below PVAL & VWAP which is bearish. I am trading a reversal (mean reversion) looking for price to get back into value, by definition counter-trend. I think it's difficult to foresee such a sell-off, which is often triggered by news, although there was something of a minor clue and that is that after the SOS price had two attempts to go higher and failed. Price was struggling at the third attempt, small bars at VWAP, before a larger bear bar brought price right back to the range, and then all the way to the low of the range where it broke down to find buyers.

This is why we always, always use a stop. Max just below the last swing low, just inside the range. We prevent major damage to our bankroll and are free to re-examine the situation, maybe going short.

Mark Douglas said "Anything can, and will, happen". That's good to remember. Last chart, chart 3, is where I got out. Thank god. You have been warned.

p.s. later on the day there was a nice reversal back to VWAP (on the 1m) from 10:55 EST onward till 12:57.

Chart 1 Analysis

Chart 2 What happened

Chart 3 In & Out

Looks like your first trade was a wash and made about 8 points on the second trade, at least you came out ahead.

You just showed it’s just as important to watch price action after you’re in the trade as it is looking for trades.

Nice job!

Sent using the nexusfi.com mobile app

Thanked by:

Last Updated on February 20, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts