NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading while working full-time

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3 posts (12 thanks)
    2. looks_two lightsun47 with 2 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 snax with 2 posts (9 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 1 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one deaddog with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two AllSeeker with 5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 snax with 4.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 3,458 views
    2. thumb_up 41 thanks given
    3. group 10 followers
    1. forum 12 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading while working full-time

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,526
Thanks Received: 26,292

snax View Post
Some of the responses I see here that are against trading while working seem a little dogmatic, but I understand where they are coming from.

I don't believe this is a black-and-white answer, I would say it depends on your situation.

I may be one of the dogmatists, since I said rather strongly not to do it.

I'm glad that @snax reminded me that in fact it is doable, if you have the work flexibility and if you can put the essential part (work) first. @snax is doing a decent job of maintaining the work/trade balance, as shown in his journal. To keep the paycheck coming in while getting better and better at trading, and generally staying above water there too, is a good example of the balancing that it takes.

---------------------

Speaking of his journal, which is excellent as a record of a trader's progress, it can be found here, and is a good read:

This gives me a chance to plug elite membership, since this journal is in the elite-only section, as many are. Sometimes people will wonder what the benefits of elite membership are, since they are not interested in indicators and all that stuff. But quite a lot of the content of the site is behind the elite wall, and if you want to see what is there, you can decide whether it's worth risking the (one-time, lifetime membership) fee to find out. Not everyone will agree that it is, but some will.

This is not directed at anyone, and it's obviously your choice. I just like to make a plug for it now and then. (I don't get paid anything if you sign up for it. I'm purely voluntary labor here. )

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

snax 
Chicago, IL
Legendary Price Action Student

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Edge Clear
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 9,626
Thanks Received: 9,633

Thank you very much, @bobwest!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

Thanks Given: 393
Thanks Received: 532

I trade while holding a full time day job (remote work).

As I live in Europe - the US RTH session starts at 3:30 PM. Usually, I work my day job until 3:00. Take 10-15 minutes and then start day trading the US session.

I won't lie. It's quite demanding holding a demanding full time job while doing this as the hours in front of the screen gets very long.

If I lived in the US I would instead trade Asian index futures. I've heard they're great to trade and if I understand the time zone correctly you could hold a regular day job and even get to eat dinner and relax a bit before starting.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 2, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts