NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or words of warning?

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Howard Roark with 13 posts (22 thanks)
    2. looks_two planetkill with 9 posts (18 thanks)
    3. looks_3 VirtualMark with 8 posts (8 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mariafp with 7 posts (15 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one BeMoreFree with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two mariafp with 2.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 planetkill with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Howard Roark with 1.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 3,328 views
    2. thumb_up 106 thanks given
    3. group 13 followers
    1. forum 57 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or words of warning?

DowDaddy 
Las Vegas

Experience: Master
Platform: Ninja
Broker: Ninja Trader Brokerage
Trading: Dow Futures
Thanks Given: 752
Thanks Received: 391

Valjean View Post
I agree. I'm already trading real money with as much size as I'm comfortable losing. I see prop firms as a way to increase my size but still be able to sleep at night.

Exactly!

If you don't bet, you can't win.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
use extra computer for optimisation
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

BeMoreFree 
Jacksonville, FL

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, IRT
Broker: Rithmic
Trading: NQ
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 40

Howard Roark View Post
Good comments and discussion. Thanks everyone!

I'm curious...

For those of you who are currently in business with these firms and may be trading multiple accounts even:

At what point (capitalization) would you move on to trade your own capital exclusively?

Or do you plan on staying with these firms indefinitely and just keep taking out profits?

Thanks.

I'll stay with the prop $ until funding personal accounts with those profits makes more sense. I'm in no rush to find the exit, it's only been the last 4 months that I've finally stabilized my trading as a real business. So I'm working against quarterly goals for 2024, and personal funding isn't even in the list at this time. That could change if conditions change, but I've learned that the slower I change, the more profitable I become.

planetkill 
New York City + NY/United States

Thanks Given: 108
Thanks Received: 311

Howard Roark View Post

I'm curious...

For those of you who are currently in business with these firms and may be trading multiple accounts even:

At what point (capitalization) would you move on to trade your own capital exclusively?

Or do you plan on staying with these firms indefinitely and just keep taking out profits?

Thanks.

Personally I plan on staying with them forever because over the years I've seen that my setups work for a bunch of months, and then go on a losing streak to blow up the account.

So what I do is run my various setups across different prop accounts at the same time. The setups that are working this month, I'll scale up to copy trade to multiple accounts. Withdraw payouts that pay for the whole operation, and then when those accounts inevitably are blown in a couple months, there's already other setups that have now started working.

Any strategy w/ filters, no matter how simple, can work for a few months before it blows an account. For example, even something as simple EMA cross over during the first hour of the day can be consistently profitable for a few months before going on a losing streak.

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Thanks Given: 57,526
Thanks Received: 26,292

BeMoreFree View Post
I've learned that the slower I change, the more profitable I become.

Me too. Completely agree with this.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
 planetkill 

Apex says they paid out $25million in March, across 10,872 payout requests. Apex has a public page here showing the payouts: https://atf.com/payouts.html?p=1

So if they paid out $25million, how much did they collect in fees?

They've been doing the straight to PA accounts recently, so let's estimate 20 Apex 50k accounts eval + PA fee is about 4k per user. So they would have needed over 6000 new signs maxing the 20 accounts to breakeven.

Of course it's not only new sign ups, guessing more than half that number is from recurring customers that blown their accounts and want to try again (I've seen discord screenshots where some people are up to their 300th Apex account based on the numbering.)

So I think all the numbers do add up and is believable.

Thanked by:

DowDaddy 
Las Vegas

Experience: Master
Platform: Ninja
Broker: Ninja Trader Brokerage
Trading: Dow Futures
Thanks Given: 752
Thanks Received: 391

planetkill View Post
Apex says they paid out $25million in March, across 10,872 payout requests. Apex has a public page here showing the payouts: https://atf.com/payouts.html?p=1

So if they paid out $25million, how much did they collect in fees?

They've been doing the straight to PA accounts recently, so let's estimate 20 Apex 50k accounts eval + PA fee is about 4k per user. So they would have needed over 6000 new signs maxing the 20 accounts to breakeven.

Of course it's not only new sign ups, guessing more than half that number is from recurring customers that blown their accounts and want to try again (I've seen discord screenshots where some people are up to their 300th Apex account based on the numbering.)

So I think all the numbers do add up and is believable.

I think the 1 day to pass has created a surge of income for them... and doesn't really increase the risk on the companies side as just a fraction of people who get funded will ever get a payout let alone multiple payouts

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 planetkill 

ES Jedi View Post
I think the 1 day to pass has created a surge of income for them... and doesn't really increase the risk on the companies side as just a fraction of people who get funded will ever get a payout let alone multiple payouts

Apex really did revolutionize the industry

Thanked by:
 jlabtrades 
San Diego, CA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader / Tradovate
Broker: Tradovate
Trading: Futures / 0dte
Frequency: Many times daily
Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 54

Howard Roark View Post

I'm curious...

Thanks.

Depends on how and what you trade. In general you will need enough in the personal account for
1. Initial day margin ($50-$1000 depending on instrument and broker)
2. Risk % per trade
3. Cushion left after bad trades

So I personally use Tradovate and trade NQ. So my initial day margin is $1000. I like to risk $500-$1500 per trade. And I like to risk at most half my account (when in a small account). So for me I start personal trading with the following
1. Margin: $1000 per contract
2. Risk: $500-$1500 per contract
3. Cushion: $1000-$2000 per contract
... = $2500 - $4500 to trade 1 NQ contract

And right now I'm continuing to trade in the prop firms to hone my trading in a lower risk environment, and adding payouts to my personal account, so I have a bigger cushion and take more trades. I don't ever plan to close my funded accounts unless I'm paying some monthly fee (none of mine are, expect for payout % share) or there is a payout cap (some do have this around $50k per account)

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on April 5, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts