NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Hardware lust: trading PC with 6-monitors

Discussion in Tech Support

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 64 posts (64 thanks)
    2. looks_two sysot1t with 29 posts (15 thanks)
    3. looks_3 TonyB with 28 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Salsem Elliott Waves with 20 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one shodson with 7.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two rleplae with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 sysot1t with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 116,106 views
    2. thumb_up 217 thanks given
    3. group 82 followers
    1. forum 369 posts
    2. attach_file 51 attachments

Search this Thread

Hardware lust: trading PC with 6-monitors

sysot1t 

TonyB View Post
With all that I've read about attitude and mood, I think you made a wise choice!

I believe I made the right call on DDR3 type, and also ordered the PNY VCQ295NVS-X1-DVI-PB card.

Thanks again for your input.

sorry, didnt realize I did not reply to the memory question... corsair is fine... my preference would be to match all 4, but that is just my preference, nothing more... I try to get a bit of performance everywhere I can..

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

TonyB 
Bay Area, CA - US

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TOS, TS & MC
Broker: TDA & TS
Trading: Stock, Options and now Futures (ES)
Thanks Given: 227
Thanks Received: 140

TonyB View Post
sysot1t - thanks for your help. The HP Outlet was the way to go...

I think I got a good deal. Normally $849, for $599:

HP z200 W7P-64 i5 650 3.2GHz 500GB SATA 4GB DDR3 1333 DVDRW(LS) NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 256MB Rmkt WS

I also got these two 24" monitors, for $320 each:

HP 24 inch ZR24w Widescreen LCD Rmkt Monitor

These are IPS panels and 1920 x 1200.

Free shipping too... Thanks again. I'll add more RAM once I open the box to see the configuration.

I'll get another NVS 295 too. That will be an x1 though. But, as you said, it should be plenty fine for these tasks. I read that each lane (x1) can handle 500 MB. The most we'd be doing might be around 100 kb /sec... I also read that the x1 slot might have a max wattage of 10 w though. If so, that would be problematic for a video card. The HP Outlet guys didn't know that spec though...

I attach the most current availability, in case anyone is interested....

I just want to share that when I got the Z200 this Monday, it did not have the NVS 295! The backplate was removed indicating that it or something had been in that slot before though. Very frustrating, but even more so was dealing with HP this week!

I called tech support that night to get their take, but of course was told to speak with sales agent. I sent to him an email, following it up with a phone call in the morning. I did not hear that we'll get you one right away, despite knowing that they have several refurbished and many (22) new NVS 295's in stock (I'm receive that stock spreadsheet daily). I was told that he'd need to check with his mgr, who is out now. This was for approval to ship... Later, I think the next day, I was informed that the deal should not have included this video card (the offer as provided was a mistake)! So, someone removed it prior to shipping, and worse yet didn't inform me? It seemed at one point I could be given a credit of $90, the value at which HP sells these refurbished, but then if I wanted to buy one locally at a store (new), I'd be out about 50 bucks. I asked for what I ordered and paid for, and after multiple emails and voicemails (none returned), a call moments ago had the rep tell me that they would ship me one, but not until Monday and it would go ground, so I'd get it late next week. I had also left a detailed voicemail with the mgr the night before...

Ok, I got so fired-up typing the above, I called him again and now I hear that he might have mistakenly said that the offer was not appropriate or right to include that video card. The offer was indeed fine. The odd thing is that in my conversations with HP before order placement, there was much discussion on this video card, and running another one, but a PCIe x1. I asked that if it must go ground, can it at least go out today as it's still early afternoon. He said that he got approval to ship overnight, but not until Monday. So, I should have it on Tuesday...

After all of this, I hope the equipment works well.

At this point, I wish I would have just bought something at a local electronics retailer.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,249
Thanks Received: 101,669

TonyB View Post
At this point, I wish I would have just bought something at a local electronics retailer.

Sorry your having trouble, but it sounds about normal when dealing with these companies. Another reason I just build everything myself

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

TonyB 
Bay Area, CA - US

Big Mike View Post
Sorry your having trouble, but it sounds about normal when dealing with these companies. Another reason I just build everything myself

Mike

Mike, I'm with ya, believe me! I've been this way much of adult life, in many things that I do... I'm a DIY guy. I virtually re-built our home, built and re-built two kit cars, designed an intercooler for the MINI Cooper, among other things... And back in the day, 15+ years ago, I built a couple computers. I also remember and can appreciate the time investment to research components.

With a hectic job and a 22 month old baby, along with one that just arrived (3 week old), I made a decision to go HP refurbished. After many more hours of paper trading, hopefully successful ones, when I decide to go live, I think I'll then be better able to build a system from the ground-up.

I'm hoping this Z200 and 4 monitors will prove to be a worthwhile investment and serve me well over the next few years...

sysot1t 

wow, I've never had that much trouble... my advice.. escalate to a manager, dont deal with the sales guy, and then get an RMA and return the whole thing which you should be within the timeframe to do without any financial impact on their dime, since they didnt sell you what was advertised... furthermore, look at your invoice, if it shows an NVS on the description, then they need to include it...

also, keep in mind you always have as a recourse your credit card, if not satisfied, dispute the charge and go from there... people forget that their credit card covers them many times in this kind of situations..

TonyB View Post
I just want to share that when I got the Z200 this Monday, it did not have the NVS 295! The backplate was removed indicating that it or something had been in that slot before though. Very frustrating, but even more so was dealing with HP this week!

I called tech support that night to get their take, but of course was told to speak with sales agent. I sent to him an email, following it up with a phone call in the morning. I did not hear that we'll get you one right away, despite knowing that they have several refurbished and many (22) new NVS 295's in stock (I'm receive that stock spreadsheet daily). I was told that he'd need to check with his mgr, who is out now. This was for approval to ship... Later, I think the next day, I was informed that the deal should not have included this video card (the offer as provided was a mistake)! So, someone removed it prior to shipping, and worse yet didn't inform me? It seemed at one point I could be given a credit of $90, the value at which HP sells these refurbished, but then if I wanted to buy one locally at a store (new), I'd be out about 50 bucks. I asked for what I ordered and paid for, and after multiple emails and voicemails (none returned), a call moments ago had the rep tell me that they would ship me one, but not until Monday and it would go ground, so I'd get it late next week. I had also left a detailed voicemail with the mgr the night before...

Ok, I got so fired-up typing the above, I called him again and now I hear that he might have mistakenly said that the offer was not appropriate or right to include that video card. The offer was indeed fine. The odd thing is that in my conversations with HP before order placement, there was much discussion on this video card, and running another one, but a PCIe x1. I asked that if it must go ground, can it at least go out today as it's still early afternoon. He said that he got approval to ship overnight, but not until Monday. So, I should have it on Tuesday...

After all of this, I hope the equipment works well.

TonyB 
Bay Area, CA - US

Thank you. Yup, I've used the cc as a last resort before...

I got an email later in the afternoon stating that it shipped today, overnight, and I'll have it on Monday. So, I'm feeling better. But, given this experience, I'd like to make sure I got everything that I had ordered, including things not so obvious, like a missing video card. Here is my order:

HP z200 W7P-64 i5 650 3.2GHz 500GB SATA 4GB DDR3 1333 DVDRW(LS) NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 256MB Rmkt WS

First, I have not powered this up yet as I wanted some closure on this NVS 295 matter. I can confirm the presence of 4GB of RAM (2 x 2GB) - check. The HD is a Hitatchi 500GB - check. The box is a Z200 - check. How do I verify that I have a i5 650 3.2 GHz? Once I powered-up, I have an idea (my computer, I believe)...

I was led to believe that this mobo had three PCIe slots, one each: x1, x4 and x16.

This one seems to have 2 x16's though. Because I thought I didn't have another x16, the second NVS 295 I ordered (and just received) is a x1. I'll attach a photo or two of inside the box later...

EDIT / ADD: I went into Control Panel, and I think under System, and see that I have an i5, 3.2 GHz (3.33 next to it?)alright. And, the 8GB of RAM I installed is showing-up too (12 seen). So, it looks like, minus the NVS 295, I got the right computer alright.

I just have two of the monitors connected now, to the NVS 295 that I purchased separately (x1). I have them in standing vertically, portrait mode. I am reading sideways though. I'll Google later, but figured I'd ask here how to change that... Done. Also in Control Panel!

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,249
Thanks Received: 101,669

Google "cpuz" and download (free) to identify the cpu and memory specs.

I'm sure its right. The faster clock speed next to the model is because of Turbo mode, a single core can overclock itself on the Core i7 series and I assume core i5 series as well. You can google "intel turbo mode" for more.

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

TonyB 
Bay Area, CA - US

Thank you Mike. No downloading on that machine just yet, but that does sound interesting...

And I just did google "intel turbo mode", and you are correct regarding the i5. It's basically auto over-clocking, at least from what I just read.

Where can I get the specs on the mobo? I'm quite certain that it has 2 PCIe x16's. If so, I'll gladly return the x1 and order a x16...

ehlaban 
Netherlands

Platform: Ensign, Multicharts
Trading: SP500
Thanks Given: 66
Thanks Received: 57

a perfect little program is hwinfo32 to know everything about your hardware

HWiNFO, HWiNFO32 & HWiNFO64 - Hardware Information and Analysis Tools

Thanked by:
 sysot1t 

you can go to the HP support site and have it scan your PC... it will show you all it has as well..

HP Support & Drivers | United States

select product support and troubleshooting and let it do its thing..

TonyB View Post
Thank you. Yup, I've used the cc as a last resort before...

I got an email later in the afternoon stating that it shipped today, overnight, and I'll have it on Monday. So, I'm feeling better. But, given this experience, I'd like to make sure I got everything that I had ordered, including things not so obvious, like a missing video card. Here is my order:

First, I have not powered this up yet as I wanted some closure on this NVS 295 matter. I can confirm the presence of 4GB of RAM (2 x 2GB) - check. The HD is a Hitatchi 500GB - check. The box is a Z200 - check. How do I verify that I have a i5 650 3.2 GHz? Once I powered-up, I have an idea (my computer, I believe)...

I was led to believe that this mobo had three PCIe slots, one each: x1, x4 and x16.

This one seems to have 2 x16's though. Because I thought I didn't have another x16, the second NVS 295 I ordered (and just received) is a x1. I'll attach a photo or two of inside the box later...

EDIT / ADD: I went into Control Panel, and I think under System, and see that I have an i5, 3.2 GHz (3.33 next to it?)alright. And, the 8GB of RAM I installed is showing-up too (12 seen). So, it looks like, minus the NVS 295, I got the right computer alright.

I just have two of the monitors connected now, to the NVS 295 that I purchased separately (x1). I have them in standing vertically, portrait mode. I am reading sideways though. I'll Google later, but figured I'd ask here how to change that... Done. Also in Control Panel!

Last Updated on February 4, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts