NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Swing in a Strategy

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one MXASJ with 6 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 RJay with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 hondo69 with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 8,897 views
    2. thumb_up 0 thanks given
    3. group 4 followers
    1. forum 10 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Swing in a Strategy

hondo69 
Austin, TX

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Currencies
Thanks Given: 57
Thanks Received: 248

I've played with this general idea myself but was unable to code it due to my lack of skill. But a few "easy" ideas are worth pursuing for an expert coder . . .

1] The Swing setting is critical. For example, a setting of 3 matches that of Trade Station. But you can play around with 4, 5, etc. until you see something you like.

2] One approach is to look for a breakout from consolidation. For example, "If SwingHigh - SwingLow =< 10", then you have a setup. Next, program it so the first bar that closes outside of that range tell you the direction of the breakout. It works most of the time.

3] Another approach is to somehow track the patterns of the High and Low dots. In a down trend, the High dots will remain in a straight line while the Low dots form a step-down pattern below it. So you would program the strategy to look for the step-down pattern of the Low dots, indicating a trend. Then wait for the High bars to break down and make your entry.

Both approaches, of course, will need some additional signals to verify a trade entry. By this I mean add something like MACD, RSI, CCI, etc. to your entry parameters.

Here's where it gets funky . . .

Instead of Swing High/Low you might take a look at another indicator called StepMA71 located in the Ninja forum. It's the same general idea but from a different angle.

This indicator draws a continuous line across the chart and then steps up or down based upon your settings. Using multiple StepMA's on one chart is the best. So you might have a yellow "fast" line that steps at 3. Then a blue line that steps at 4 (slower). Then try adding others that step at 6 and 10 and you'll get some interesting results.

The next thing is for a programmer to create some type of variable that monitors the relationship of the lines. When in a chop market the lines are horizontal (not stepping) and the values between the lines are:

Step 3 to Step 4 = 10
Step 4 to Step 6 = 10
Step 6 to Step 10 = 20

The trick is calculating which lines are above or below the other lines. We can visually see this easily, but I'm unable to write the code for it myself. But a programmer could come up with a simply addition/subtraction method for doing so.

For example, after a recent uptrend but currently in chop, the fast line (3) would be above all the others. You could simply subtract the (4) line from the (3) line to get a value of 10. Then do the same with the other gaps between the lines and add up the resulting values. In this case the value would be 40 (10 + 10 + 20).

In a market that has consolidated, all gaps between the lines are very narrow. So the result of adding up the gaps would be a small number, say 6. If you are playing for a breakout after consolidation, then look for a gap total of 7 or less. Then a setup has occurred.

The problem I've been having is there is an endless number of gap relationships. And since I can't program a "gap tester" then I can't do anything with these basic ideas. Might be a fun project for a programmer to get us going on this. I think it may have value.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step_lines.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	3077  

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Is there a way to simulate CONTINUOUS CONTRACT?
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
static margin on the right side of a chart
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
16 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
12 thanks
Trading with Intuition
10 thanks
Joes Trading Garage
9 thanks
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
8 thanks

Last Updated on October 3, 2009

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts