NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Is cumulative delta tick and volume reliable when using IB data?


Discussion in Brokers

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one skilluminati with 2 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two Jigsaw Trading with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 MarpleTrading with 1 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 6,935 views
    2. thumb_up 2 thanks given
    3. group 2 followers
    1. forum 5 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
 
skilluminati's Avatar
 skilluminati 
Warszawa, Polska
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: sierra chart
Broker: IB/IQ
Trading: equities, options, futures
Posts: 32 since Nov 2012
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 19

Hi all,
I'm with IB and trying to sink my teeth into trading futures (currently focusing only on nq) using sierra charts as my platform in sim mode for the time being. From my research on various forums, the consensus regarding IB feed is that it is sampled data and so my question is whether I could consider it "good enough" for my purposes or maybe buy an IQ subscription that is regarded as high quality and tick by tick record. I'm using renko bars on my primary chart, and my strategy is to catch runners that are at least a few points, staying out of the chop zones. I'm not using any indicators besides keltner channels and cumulative tick & vol, and I'm also watching the DOM and the tape to fine tune my entries. I'd appreciate if anybody with IB and IQ could let me know if there are differences in the cumulative delta volume/tick bars between those providers that could communicate incorrect market sentiment (and maybe provide a screen shot - that would be really nice). Thanks in advance.


Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
EA
Platforms and Indicators
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
  #3 (permalink)
 
Jigsaw Trading's Avatar
 Jigsaw Trading 
Bangkok
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts.NET, S5, Ninj
Broker: AMP, S5, IB
Trading: ES
Posts: 2,989 since Nov 2010
Thanks Given: 832
Thanks Received: 10,408


Nope - totally unreliable with IB data I'm afraid.


Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)
 
Big Mike's Avatar
 Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader
 R.I.P. 1977-2026 
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Posts: 50,669 since Jun 2009
Thanks Given: 33,669
Thanks Received: 102,590

See:

Mike




We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on X Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)
 
skilluminati's Avatar
 skilluminati 
Warszawa, Polska
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: sierra chart
Broker: IB/IQ
Trading: equities, options, futures
Posts: 32 since Nov 2012
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 19

Thanks for the feedback, but I still have my doubts after finding the following snippet on the sierra charts page for IB data (sierrachart.com/index.php?l=doc/IBSymbols.html):

Bid Volume and Ask Volume data is not accurate when using the Record True Real-Time Data in Intraday Charts option. However, in the case of Interactive Brokers Bid Volume and Ask Volume is not very accurate when not using this option.

English is not my native language so please bear with me - the way it's worded makes my head spin. Either those sentences contradict each other, or only the latter applies to IB and the double negative means that bid/ask volume is very accurate with the option on. I do not want to be difficult on this, but I'm getting mixed signals and, if possible, would really like to see something conclusive before spending money. Thanks again.


Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #6 (permalink)
 MarpleTrading 
Nederland
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra charts
Broker: IB/IQFeed
Trading: Crude
Posts: 66 since Nov 2012
Thanks Given: 18
Thanks Received: 40


skilluminati View Post
Thanks for the feedback, but I still have my doubts after finding the following snippet on the sierra charts page for IB data (sierrachart.com/index.php?l=doc/IBSymbols.html):

Bid Volume and Ask Volume data is not accurate when using the Record True Real-Time Data in Intraday Charts option. However, in the case of Interactive Brokers Bid Volume and Ask Volume is not very accurate when not using this option.

English is not my native language so please bear with me - the way it's worded makes my head spin. Either those sentences contradict each other, or only the latter applies to IB and the double negative means that bid/ask volume is very accurate with the option on. I do not want to be difficult on this, but I'm getting mixed signals and, if possible, would really like to see something conclusive before spending money. Thanks again.

Hi Skilluminati,

I am also with IB and I can tell you their data feed is horrible. It really pays having a separate DF like IQ to get good data.

I read the snippet as follows.

In general when you are using the option the data is not reliable.
But when you are using IB not using the option makes your data even worse.

Cheers!


Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:




Last Updated on November 28, 2012


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts