NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Risk and Position Sizing Strategies


Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
    1. trending_up 1,402 views
    2. thumb_up 1 thanks given
    3. group 1 followers
    1. forum 1 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
 Dave83K 
Ridgewood, NJ
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Thinkorswim,Ninjatrader
Trading: Options and Futures
Posts: 1 since Mar 2017
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 1

Hello Futures IO,

This is my first post. I have a trading system I am evaluating against different position sizing strategies using Monte Carlo simulation. In this system I have a stop loss as a worst case get me out of the trade, however, it is hit only 3% of the time within the given data set. Most of the exits are a technical trigger or a take profit trigger. In terms of risk for position sizing, would you(NexusFi community) utilize the stop loss (most conservative) or the Max adverse excursion of a trade as the risk of a trade for position sizing strategies. I lean towards a combination of looking at both, and thinking somewhere in the middle position sizing wise would be my target. I.e. if stop loss risk method says 2 contracts, and max adverse risk method says 5, I would split the difference and round up to 3.

Thanks,
-Dave


Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
  #2 (permalink)
 Symple 
Zuerich / Switzerland
Legendary Market Wizard
 
Experience: Master
Platform: TastyTrade
Broker: TastyTrade
Trading: Hedges with Options on Stocks, ETF's and Futures
Frequency: Every few weeks
Duration: Weeks
Posts: 1,282 since Sep 2021
Thanks Given: 1,720
Thanks Received: 2,579


Dave83K View Post
Hello Futures IO,

This is my first post. I have a trading system I am evaluating against different position sizing strategies using Monte Carlo simulation. In this system I have a stop loss as a worst case get me out of the trade, however, it is hit only 3% of the time within the given data set. Most of the exits are a technical trigger or a take profit trigger. In terms of risk for position sizing, would you(NexusFi community) utilize the stop loss (most conservative) or the Max adverse excursion of a trade as the risk of a trade for position sizing strategies. I lean towards a combination of looking at both, and thinking somewhere in the middle position sizing wise would be my target. I.e. if stop loss risk method says 2 contracts, and max adverse risk method says 5, I would split the difference and round up to 3.

Thanks,
-Dave

@Dave83K

About what kind of amount of money you talk here? as there is in general no rule regarding exponential growth in your account and the risk you after woods should or can take.

You may give us some more information about this to get an answer which fits you.

Symple


Reply With Quote




Last Updated on December 18, 2021


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts