NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Selling Options on Futures?

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one ron99 with 2,221 posts (4,489 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 346 posts (733 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 341 posts (400 thanks)
    4. looks_4 myrrdin with 288 posts (408 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 2.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ron99 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 2,006,768 views
    2. thumb_up 9,259 thanks given
    3. group 458 followers
    1. forum 7,370 posts
    2. attach_file 794 attachments

Search this Thread

Selling Options on Futures?

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Experience: Advanced
Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

MJ888 View Post
Yes, I noticed it too. That's great that OX finally realized that their commission for options on futures were way too high at $12.99 per. This works out great for me too since they started me at $3.99 per so this new rate is even better for my bottom line.

So far since Charles Schwab has purchased OX, they have lowered commissions and fees but they have dropped European customers and dropped new futures trading in IRAs accounts.

Some good, some bad.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,360

ron99 View Post
What are the commissions and fees at TS and do they charge you the overnight fee? Platform cost?

For the Futures 4.0 platform, which is pretty basic, no fees, free quotes. I am not charged overnight fees in that account.

For the main TS platform, I think it is $99/month, which is waived if you trade a low minimum amount. Real time quotes are extra. They charge me overnight fees on that one.

If you are looking at IRA acct there, I remember a few years ago they said I could trade futures through Millenium, but I could only use 1/2 my equity for margin, or something like that. Maybe they have changed tha.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Raven
Huntsville AL/USA

Thanks Given: 80
Thanks Received: 26

ron99 View Post
So far since Charles Schwab has purchased OX, they have lowered commissions and fees but they have dropped European customers and dropped new futures trading in IRAs accounts.

Some good, some bad.

I am SO thankful that I got in under the wire with my IRA. Do you think there is a chance of losing the capability to sell naked futures options with OX?

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,360

ron99 View Post

Some good, some bad.

I encourage all OX acct holders to use the suggestion feature on their site, and ask for IRA futures ability. I did. If enough people do, maybe they will change their minds, and allow it. Money and commissons talk!

empty 
Louisville, Kentucky

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart, TastyTrade
Broker: Various
Trading: Futures, Options
Thanks Given: 1,938
Thanks Received: 195

kevinkdog View Post
If you are looking at IRA acct there, I remember a few years ago they said I could trade futures through Millenium, but I could only use 1/2 my equity for margin, or something like that. Maybe they have changed tha.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread but I'll just mention that I have my IRA with Midland and my account with Tradestation and as far as I can tell there is no restriction on margin. I would double-check that though since it may just be that I have not run into it yet. I'm very conservative with that account.

Thanked by:

opts 
NW Florida

Platform: OX and TOS
Trading: Futures Options, Stocks
Thanks Given: 29
Thanks Received: 115

Nice up move in CL today for put holders...Kevin, MJ,.. in with you guys.

Wheat: big move down. Was watching to sell calls but sold the CL puts last week instead.

Still have silver on the radar. The tight range the last few days might be broken to the downside. Watching the 20, 21, or 22 puts.

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Experience: Advanced
Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

Raven View Post
I am SO thankful that I got in under the wire with my IRA. Do you think there is a chance of losing the capability to sell naked futures options with OX?

They don't allow any futures or options on futures trading in IRAs at OX for new IRA accounts.

Who knows with these large corporations. That's why I was worried when OX was sold.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
MJ888
Houston, Texas

Thanks Given: 37
Thanks Received: 150

opts View Post
Nice up move in CL today for put holders...Kevin, MJ,.. in with you guys.

Wheat: big move down. Was watching to sell calls but sold the CL puts last week instead.

Still have silver on the radar. The tight range the last few days might be broken to the downside. Watching the 20, 21, or 22 puts.

Yes, CL was lower this morning and then reversed very nicely. Great for the puts!

I too was looking to sell some W calls but did not bother to enter an order when I saw it was off by 10.00, will watch and wait.

I haven't traded SI in awhile but will look at the charts....

opts 
NW Florida

I've been looking for some reasoning for the breakout move in the metals and the feeling is that since more public money is moving into stocks with a feeling of the US economy is strengthening = metals losing their luster. There may be more of a move to the downside so I'm on the sidelines. If the move continues down any economic jitters could push metals right back up. The metals will be a safe haven for a while and if silver does put in a significant move down in the next few weeks I will still consider selling puts and/or a strangle.

I may reload some CL puts this week. Today's move up may be the signal for the continued bullish trend.

Cheers

opts 
NW Florida

opts View Post
I've been looking for some reasoning for the breakout move in the metals and the feeling is that since more public money is moving into stocks with a feeling of the US economy is strengthening = metals losing their luster. There may be more of a move to the downside so I'm on the sidelines. If the move continues down any economic jitters could push metals right back up. The metals will be a safe haven for a while and if silver does put in a significant move down in the next few weeks I will still consider selling puts and/or a strangle.

I may reload some CL puts this week. Today's move up may be the signal for the continued bullish trend.

Cheers

OPEC announced global demand for oil is up 80,000 barrels a day

Last Updated on July 28, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts