NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 3,654 posts (2,215 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 135 posts (120 thanks)
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 123 posts (170 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 112 posts (228 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Deucalion with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 604,206 views
    2. thumb_up 3,683 thanks given
    3. group 141 followers
    1. forum 4,686 posts
    2. attach_file 1,117 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

josh View Post
Interesting, ok. My interest lies more around 37, as indicated by this picture, which was the low of the week-long trading range back in early May. Of course, these are all "areas" anyway, and not necessarily a specific price. Thanks for sharing your ES chart.

Every timeframe can offer so many "zones", you wonder why we even draw lines at all.

But here is a quote that has always stuck with me; "Every wave is a manifestation of a previous wave".

I try to look at as low as 30 minutes and as high as weekly to get a picture of where price is compared to all of those "waves", but I keep the most near term in closer view for my trading style. My preferred middle ground is 120 minute, but that zone was from a 30-60.

I was looking specifically for an agreement in value with Hedvig's 1337-41 so I could justify it in my mind. That is why I did not go beyond 1332.50 (roughly 5-6 point spread), I am only looking at the closest major pivot above. But there are zones overhead to infinity.

Keep in mind, until that pivot high breaks, we are below it.

Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Strategy stop orders partially filled
EasyLanguage Programming
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

To the right of the 6E 6-range (far left lower chart) is the weekly, to the right of that the daily, above those the 120 minute, to the far right the 30 minute...

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

If I had to condense it to only 3, I would choose the 120 minute, the 1 minute, and the 6-range. That is all that is on my "laptop" workspace. I am looking for 120 minute zones, then following the 1 minute and 6-range advice.

The DCs and MAs you may notice are only on the 6-range, and even those are sometimes faded. They are there only to put the shape into a framework that can be recognized. Obviously, a long is far better above and a short below, but not everytime... Sometimes the primary DC (yellow) is the sweet spot, but can also cause me to miss the "best" trades. When I can't get the pullback is usually when the move is outstanding.

I expect a "zone" on a 120 to hold, everytime. If I drew it and have not removed it, that is my rule. Plan for it to hold. That does not mean enter a trade, most often it means do not enter a trade. And so I might miss some trades, but I will not buy into resistance or sell into support, who cares if I am wrong about the location. And, if price makes it out of an area, I believe it has nothing to stop it until the next "zone" Does not work all the time, obviously, but those are my rules, part of my trading plan.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

If you wonder how I can ever find a trade at all, look for the black areas.

Started this thread
Paige
Gainesville, Florida, United S

Thanks Given: 30
Thanks Received: 104

TT Wrote:

"These instinctive preferences run counter to perhaps the most fundamental principle of successful trading: Cut your losses and let your profits run."

Whether or not one should take a profit "now" -- or "let it run" can only be known -- in hindsight. And unless I am sadly mistaken, most of us do not posess this unique trait?

Peace,
Paige

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,249
Thanks Received: 101,673

Oil death cross, not so much.

Bloomberg Video

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

High of the overnight action 84.80

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Paige View Post
TT Wrote:

"These instinctive preferences run counter to perhaps the most fundamental principle of successful trading: Cut your losses and let your profits run."

Whether or not one should take a profit "now" -- or "let it run" can only be known -- in hindsight. And unless I am sadly mistaken, most of us do not posess this unique trait?

Peace,
Paige

None of us will ever be able to know the future, that is not the point of trading. It is to "guess" the future, and allow yourself to be right. That could be swing trading for days, weeks, months, or intraday trading for wave tops or other targets.

I really pissed myself off the other day, if you look at the chart when I first got in before the EIA, it shows where I "guessed" it was going, but I was still afraid enough to drop that trade before the EIA. In hindsight, it went to my target. And so I was trading poorly at that moment, not allowing myself to be right.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

For this moment, I am ignoring upside resistance on the 30 (15). Trying something. IF S1 breaks, it does not matter anyway, and I have the 120 I can see just as easily.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

What surprises does the weekend hold? That is the question of the day.

Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 23, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts