NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

WallStreetBets reddit (GME GameStop)

Discussion in Stocks and ETFs

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 28 posts (54 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 21 posts (76 thanks)
    3. looks_3 BertV with 20 posts (21 thanks)
    4. looks_4 forrestang with 16 posts (24 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one TheShrike with 4.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 3.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Silver Dragon with 3.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 39,299 views
    2. thumb_up 507 thanks given
    3. group 648 followers
    1. forum 243 posts
    2. attach_file 28 attachments

Search this Thread

WallStreetBets reddit (GME GameStop)

lightsun47
Toronto, Canada

Thanks Given: 492
Thanks Received: 296

^And adding to what you just explained correctly:

https://www.rt.com/business/514798-gamestop-institutional-investors-jp-morgan/

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
19 thanks
ApexTraderFunding.com experience and review
17 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
13 thanks
EG Indicators
11 thanks
 futs 
Clearwater FL US

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Etrade, Tradovate and TOS
Trading: SPX, /ES, /MES, Options
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 20

cmacdon View Post
For what it is worth I analyzed Gamestock using my new indicators to identify changes in buyer and seller behaviors over time rather than in the 10 days of very high volatility when GME became top of mind for some traders. the different time frames were chosen so volatility did not distort the scaling so much.

Some initial interpretations suggest the buying activity occurred over the previous 10 days before prices peaked.

The first chart below shows selling pressure as indicated by my Six Paths accumulating marginal change in net buying and selling volume per bar recounted with 30-day periodicities over two years that reflects the main selling or shorting activities, Shorting probably started about February 2019 and finished about early August 2019. Thereafter there was a period of absorption where prices did not rise or fall too much. Dow Theory might have suggested it was a Line Pattern. The absorption finished about mid-August 2020 when the supposed small trader (or hidden counter-trend Smart Money traders) created buying activity which took off with a four or five-fold increase in price. Your indicators if you were following GME, which I wasn't) should have been fluttering the flags (something was amiss). Much earlier than 10-days before the eventual astronomical peak was achieved.
The second chart shows the next few days and the problem of scaling the indicators over the last 6 months. That is where I believe some pundits (who may not have a clue) suggest the buying activity started.

Yes, the roaring kitten group was buying into GME 6 months ago.

maxiepro
LA+Washington

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

I joined this forum only because of that incident xD

justtrader 
San Francisco, CA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader, TOS
Trading: es, rty, cl, gc, nq, ym
Thanks Given: 104
Thanks Received: 173

cmacdon View Post
For what it is worth I analyzed Gamestock using my new indicators to identify changes in buyer and seller behaviors over time rather than in the 10 days of very high volatility when GME became top of mind for some traders. the different time frames were chosen so volatility did not distort the scaling so much.

Some initial interpretations suggest the buying activity occurred over the previous 10 days before prices peaked.

I was lucky to some extent playing this GME. I played it based on price action only. I had no idea of what was happening underneath. I did zero research.

Schnook View Post
People did their research, ID'd a huge positioning imbalance in GME, recognized a hugely asymmetrical r/r setup, and positioned accordingly. Good for them. Well played.

I have a couple of indicators I built which I use for my trading entries and exits (see TOS chart below). Someone, in one of TOS trading groups pointed out that GME was about to do a double bottom, around the end of March 2020. I kept an eye on GME for nearly 2 weeks using my indicators, (a cyan colored bar above or crossing the solid line is a fairly good signal). Hence, I bought 100 shares at $4.55, to test the waters, on April 10, 2020. My stop is usually below the solid colored line.

On August 18, 2020 the solid line had become yellow and the bar was cyan. So I added 200 shares to the account at $5.12.

I took profits (sold 200 shares at $16.06) on November 23, 2020 because I noticed it was hitting some resistance area.

My indicators insisted that I should continue LONG, so I purchased the 200 share again on December 14 at $14.08. I then trailed 200 shares below the solid colored line.

On January 27, 2021, on the huge gap up, I sold 200 shares at $343.09. The next day I sold 75 shares at 250. On February 1st I sold 20 shares at $223.00.

I still have 5 shares for fun of it. Lesson: short squeezes do not last long.

Again, the luck part was someone pointing out the price action and then the huge eventual move up.

(In retrospect, there was an inverted head and shoulders where I entered the first 200 shares. https://nexusfi.com/images/smilies/animated/faint.gif)

GME_TradeHistory

TWYS NWYT (Price Advertises Opportunity; Time Regulates it; Volume Measures its Success/Failure ---- Dalton)
Thanked by:
 SpeculatorSeth   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 1,018

Last night the short interest numbers from last week were made public, and it was quite the mess. Not only did the numbers come out late, but they weren't provided in the same format that everyone had been watching. So people started reporting 78% short, and I saw a ton of activity on Twitter of people saying it's not over.

However, when you really get into it they are reporting about 20m shares short which is in line with the decline reported in the S3 and Ortex numbers that started the decline in GME. The only reason the percentage number is high because they are using a new much lower number for the float.

This morning I see GME mostly treading water as the rest of the market takes a nasty hit following TSLA lower. It seems to me that there's a number of retail traders buying it because they misread the short interest numbers. As far as I'm concerned the squeeze is over, and I don't think this will go well for the people still hanging on.

geistflow
Toronto Canada

Thanks Given: 23
Thanks Received: 33

I searched the thread for the domain and didn't see it in the results, so some people may still be interested in this website, isthesqueezesquoze dot com. It seems to have updates on the last short interest numbers, however, the last update was Feb 8.

Also, perhaps for those interested in a similar type of short squeeze play, I came across this "What Might Be the Next GME?" page s3partners dot com/thenextgme.html (no relation to either website)

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,250
Thanks Received: 101,677

CNBC: Interactive Brokers chair says financial system came ‘dangerously close’ to failure during GameStop mania.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/17/interactive-brokers-chairman-thomas-peterffy-on-gamestop-frenzy.html

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Sant 
United States + World

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB TWS
Broker: IB
Trading: Bonds, Stocks, Futures, Options
Thanks Given: 184
Thanks Received: 23

Big Mike View Post
CNBC: Interactive Brokers chair says financial system came ‘dangerously close’ to failure during GameStop mania.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/17/interactive-brokers-chairman-thomas-peterffy-on-gamestop-frenzy.html

Big Mike... Do You Think What the CEO of Interactive Brokers said is even close to the truth or more like he is trying to distract the many critics of his company, and those of RobinHood, from the 'FACT' Interactive Brokers changed the rules, in the middle of the game, for many small retail traders trading GME during the critical days of the successful short squeeze of GME in Late Jan 2021 ?

Like... The US Multi Trillion Dollar Equity System can survive 2008/2009 crash and the Feb/March 2020 crash... But somehow a Small Cap stock war between Hedges and Retailers can 'Take The System Down' ?

Not Buying It

Thanked by:
 Cloudy 
desert CA

Platform: NT7, various
Broker: various, TDA
Trading: NQ,ES
Thanks Given: 2,396
Thanks Received: 1,748

It's kind of sad to me. Along with this GME incident, and past covid year, there's been that surge of new retailer interest in the markets and new aspiring traders. Unfortunately I think many of them may get caught up in some of the modern vendor scammery , where too many will miss tradingschools.org and this forum and being informed. And only few of them seemingly will ever consider futures other than trying to scalp the stock market or hit it big with the wsb farce. I'm glad at least OTA and RagingBull were taken down by the FTC (and tradingschools) since last year, but there are still many many other snakeoil pits.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

cory 
virginia

Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

it's back!

LWRAwQBXhU

Last Updated on March 3, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts