NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

anadailypivots v39

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 22 posts (60 thanks)
    2. looks_two wldman with 9 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 ManuAdam with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 dragutin with 2 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silvester17 with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 2.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Prtester with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Daytrader999 with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 20,850 views
    2. thumb_up 72 thanks given
    3. group 18 followers
    1. forum 50 posts
    2. attach_file 15 attachments

Search this Thread

anadailypivots v39

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,103

wldman View Post
Technically correct is good enough for government work. When you refer to values that are different and a range that is different....could that be due to the heiken ashi price bars...or is the discrepancy larger than that?

Different a tick or two will not make much difference in what I do. Thanks so much for all the help with this. Dan

The HeikinAshi bars are technically an indicator. It is not a bar type. The default bars are maintained and simply set to transparent. Therefore HeikinAshi have no impact on other indicators, as all other indicators are calculated from the hidden, transparent bars.

The main pivot on our charts is identical. S2 is about 3 ticks lower on my chart compared to yours. This is data related, as we use different data providers for $EURUSD, and the daily highs and lows are 1-2 ticks off. Nothing exiting, the pivots are good enough, and on your chart you can clearly see that the main pivot PP acted as resistance and the support pivot S2 acted as support today.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Devil Man 
Fort Lauderdale
Legendary / Stochastic Calculus is not your friend

Experience: None
Platform: Ninjatrader, Python API
Broker: CQG
Trading: S&P, Crude, Gold
Thanks Given: 3,466
Thanks Received: 1,548

Just curious if there are any pivots that work better than others for CL, ES and 6E?....floor vs jackson vs camarilla, etc?

I am using Fat Tails multi session templates, thanks Harry!

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Devil Man View Post
Just curious if there are any pivots that work better than others for CL, ES and 6E?....floor vs jackson vs camarilla, etc?

@Devil Man: This is a good question. All pivots are more or less arbitrary lines that serve as meeting points for flocks of traders. This means that they rely on a self-fulfilling prophecy. Pivots only work if traders have them in their heads. Different populations of traders may use different types of pivots.

Floor pivots: They are based on the main pivot and the prior day's volatility, a fraction of which is added or subtracted. Work best, where there is a strong tradition of floor traders. This would be the case for physical commodities, in particular Agriculturals, Metals and Oil, but also index and interest rate futures. The question for floor pivots would be, whether you use full session or regular session pivots. Originally only regular session pivots were used, but with markets now being mostly open 24/5, there is a strong trend to full session pivots. Traders are lazy, so they just use the high, low and close(settlement) as published by the exchange, and this leads to full session pivots. To my knowledge Mark Fisher, a long time follower of regular pivots has switched to full session pivots a few years ago. The best thing to do is to add both full session (ETH) and regular session (RTH) pivots to your chart and look whether price reacts to them or not. For many days they are identical, a difference only occurs for those days where either the high or the low was made off-session.

Jackson Zones: The Jackson Zones display levels identical to the floor pivots for the main pivot PP (it is sometimes called balance point) and for the levels R2 and S2 (resistance band 2 and support band 2). The levels R1 and S1 are symmetrical for the Jackson Zones while they are asymmetrical for the floor pivots. A further difference is that the Jackson Zones replace the resistance & support lines with resistance & support zones. You may consider JacksonZones just as a symmetrical variation of floor pivots. The most important levels are identical. I personally use JacksonZones or floor pivots for all instruments.

Camarilla Pivots: Camarilla pivots are not built from a main pivot PP (prior high + prior low + prior close)/3, but they are symmetrically built around the prior day's close. I do not pay attention to the lower levels, as they are too close to the prior day's close. The higher levels are more relevant. Camarilla pivots can be used, where there is no strong tradition of floor pivots, for example for FOREX or currency futures, which follow the larger FOREX markets.

Fibonacci Pivots: These pivots are also symmetrical pivots built around the main floor pivot PP. Insofar they can be compared to the Jackson Zones. For both a multiple of the prior day's range is added to or subtracted from the main floor pivot PP.

Jackson levels: first zone 0.5 * range to 0.618 * range, second zone 1.0 * range to 1.382 * range
Fibonacci levels: first level 0.382 * range, second level 0.618 * range, third level 1.0 * range, fourth level 1.382 * range

Of those four levels three are identical. You may consider Fibonacci pivots as another variation of floor pivots.

In the end floor pivots, Jackson Zones and Fibonacci pivots are quite similar. The most important levels PP, R2 and S2 are shown by all three of them. Maybe it is a question of taste, which of them you prefer. I think it is more important to make a choice between the full and regular session pivots. Camarilla and Woodies pivots are pretty exotic ones. I have never used them and do not believe that they are useful, but there are traders who love to use them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 12-12 (5 Min)  02_11_2012 Floor Pivots ETH.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	94013   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 12-12 (5 Min)  02_11_2012 Floor Pivots RTH.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	94014   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 12-12 (5 Min)  02_11_2012 Jackson Zones ETH.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	94015   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 12-12 (5 Min)  02_11_2012 Camarilla Pivots ETH.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	94016   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 12-12 (5 Min)  02_11_2012 Fibonacci Pivots ETH.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	94017  

Devil Man 
Fort Lauderdale
Legendary / Stochastic Calculus is not your friend

Platform: Ninjatrader, Python API
Broker: CQG
Trading: S&P, Crude, Gold
Thanks Given: 3,466
Thanks Received: 1,548

Fat Tails View Post
@Devil Man: This is a good question. All pivots are more or less arbitrary lines that serve as meeting points for flocks of traders. This means that they rely on a self-fulfilling prophecy. Pivots only work if traders have them in their heads. Different populations of traders may use different types of pivots.....

@Fat Tails fantastic explanation! thank you Harry I really appreciate it!

Thanked by:
 rickr 
Waynesville, NC USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT8 & Jigsaw
Broker: NT Clearing
Trading: NQ, ES
Thanks Given: 4,120
Thanks Received: 73

@Fat Tails

Harry is there some way to display monthly pivots on a weekly bar/candle chart ?

I have tried different settings without any success and suspect the current indicator needs daily charts ?

If so, would it be possible to change the monthly pivots so they would also work on a weekly chart ?

Thx, rick

rickr
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 turkmay 
New Orleans

Platform: Ninja
Broker: IB
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 51
Thanks Received: 138

Devil Man View Post

I can tell you this...the pivot range (blue) keeps me out of trouble on a daily basis. Nothing long below it and nothing short above it. Good for the first hour. Don't know about anything else. But a real money saver.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

rickr View Post
@Fat Tails

Harry is there some way to display monthly pivots on a weekly bar/candle chart ?

I have tried different settings without any success and suspect the current indicator needs daily charts ?

If so, would it be possible to change the monthly pivots so they would also work on a weekly chart ?

Thx, rick

@rickr: The indicator does not display monthly pivots on a weekly chart. The reason is quite simple. You cannot calculate monthly pivots from weekly data. The end of the month does not always fall on a Friday. Therefore daily data is needed to calculate monthly pivots.

Of course it is possible to load a secondary bar series of daily data in order to calculate monthly pivots and display them on a weekly chart. This would require a modification of the indicator. You are the first person ever to have asked for this feature, so I do not think that it is necessary to include it with the default version of the indicators. If you badly need it, you can contact me via private message. I am personally fine with displaying monthly pivots on daily charts.

Thanked by:

madLyfe 
Des Moines, Iowa

Platform: Ninja, TOS
Broker: AMP/CQG, TOS
Trading: CL, TF, GC
Thanks Given: 9,220
Thanks Received: 1,020

i noticed on this that the prior vwap styling isnt being applied like the others(previous HLC). in this its the dash styling thats not being passed on:

dont believe anything you hear and only half of what you see

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Platform: NT 8, TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5,139
Thanks Received: 11,527

madLyfe View Post
i noticed on this that the prior vwap styling isnt being applied like the others(previous HLC). in this its the dash styling thats not being passed on:

I thought @Fat Tails already fixed this little bug.

anyway it's my understanding that the prior vwap is linked (for width and dash style) to the pivots and not to the high, low or mid pivots.

I prefer not to publish any modifications, but you can easily fix it yourself. just replace #26 with #27 in row 363 of the code.

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Silvester17 View Post
I thought @Fat Tails already fixed this little bug.

anyway it's my understanding that the prior vwap is linked (for width and dash style) to the pivots and not to the high, low or mid pivots.

I prefer not to publish any modifications, but you can easily fix it yourself. just replace #26 with #27 in row 363 of the code.

@Silvester17, @madLyfe:

I confirm that there is a little bug, which can be fixed by replacing "26" with "27" as shown above. I have also updated the indicator files for the daily, weekly, monthly and rolling pivots in the download section.

Thank you again for your diligence!

Last Updated on February 9, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts