NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Sierra vs. Ninja : why I chose .....

Discussion in Sierra Chart

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 33 posts (73 thanks)
    2. looks_two Futures Operator with 24 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SierraChart with 16 posts (29 thanks)
    4. looks_4 LaissezFaire with 16 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Rrrracer with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 josh with 2.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SierraChart with 1.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 105,295 views
    2. thumb_up 314 thanks given
    3. group 60 followers
    1. forum 213 posts
    2. attach_file 18 attachments

Search this Thread

Sierra vs. Ninja : why I chose .....

itrade2win 
New York

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Charts, TOS
Trading: E-mini S&P 500
Thanks Given: 447
Thanks Received: 437

@josh, can you have the MP values added on any TF or chart type and keep the correct 30m values. As it is right now I have to draw horizontal lines on my tick chart for my MP values which can be a pain.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Futures Operator 
New York, NY

Platform: Sierra Chart, thinkorswim
Broker: Amp-Rithmic/TT, IB
Trading: CL, GC, NQ
Thanks Given: 2,039
Thanks Received: 258

josh View Post
Yes, I have, and they have. I've only been trying SC for 11 days, and they have fixed many issues that I identified. Not all, as some of them were not important enough to them. But, quite a few, and compared to the 6 or so releases NT has had in the last 1.5 years which have contained zero fixes or implementations of ideas.

@josh, sounds like they implemented or were open to implementing most of your suggestions. Just curious, what did they feel was not important?

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,784
Thanks Received: 18,260

Futures Operator View Post
josh, sounds like they implemented or were open to implementing most of your suggestions. Just curious, what did they feel was not important?

I don't recall at the moment, I found a few bugs which they fixed as well.

itrade2win View Post
josh, can you have the MP values added on any TF or chart type and keep the correct 30m values. As it is right now I have to draw horizontal lines on my tick chart for my MP values which can be a pain.

I think I know what you are asking, but I have not tried it. I do not use their MP implementation though I have and it was okay.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Futures Operator 
New York, NY

Platform: Sierra Chart, thinkorswim
Broker: Amp-Rithmic/TT, IB
Trading: CL, GC, NQ
Thanks Given: 2,039
Thanks Received: 258

arnie View Post
So when I talk about stability I'm referring to how SC behaves on my computer since no other customer of theirs ever reported such a problem similar to mine.

@arnie,

Thank you for clarifying, as it seems the stability problem may have been a rare issue related to your specific hardware and not SC itself. So you haven't experienced any stability issues with SC since you changed the RAM, but just aren't confident in it anymore?

What don't you like about SC's chart DOM or DOM? Is it missing any usability or features compared to MC, or is it just the looks of it and user preference?

The issues I've read from user feedback of SC so far are that it's not intuitive, has a steep learning curve, and is not pleasing to the eyes. It seems they have focused development of the platform to more important areas (which is great), but neglected its appearance, as its look is somewhat reminiscent of the Windows 3.1 era from 20 years ago.

Has anyone officially requested SC to update the look/feel/interface of the program to be easier to use/more intuitive, better looking, and with overall improved/updated aesthetics? With such quick development updates, one would think this could be done by them rather quickly/easily too. I would be interested to see their response to these complaints.

arnie 
Europe

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Jigsaw
Broker: Tradovate
Trading: Equities
Thanks Given: 763
Thanks Received: 1,048

Thank you for clarifying, as it seems the stability problem may have been a rare issue related to your specific hardware and not SC itself. So you haven't experienced any stability issues with SC since you changed the RAM, but just aren't confident in it anymore?

Everytime I open SC I'm always waiting for a crash
But for the past 2 months SC has performing seamlessly. Not a single issue.
Well, there's that weird reaction almost everytime I open the chart value window, it opens a very small window, where is only visible to "X" button on the top right to close it. I need to expand it so I can see the data on it. According to SC staff this is a Windows issue, not a SC issue.
Apart from this little thing, all working fine.

What don't you like about SC's chart DOM or DOM? Is it missing any usability or features compared to MC, or is it just the looks of it and user preference?

The issues I've read from user feedback of SC so far are that it's not intuitive, has a steep learning curve, and is not pleasing to the eyes. It seems they have focused development of the platform to more important areas (which is great), but neglected its appearance, as its look is somewhat reminiscent of the Windows 3.1 era from 20 years ago.

It's just the look of it.
I'm a very visual guy.
My background is interior design. I'm very picky when it comes to the visual aspect of a software. Many consider it just a computer program. The only thing that it need to do is to be able to perform the task that was programmed to do, everything else is just baggage.
I can't function like that. For me all needs to be in the right place. I don't care if you are talking about a kitchen cabinet or a computer software. For me it's the same thing. All needs to be in the right place for us to take the most use from it.

Sierra in this aspect it's really not the best looking software around.
It's not very intuitive, specially when you are coming from other platform. I never worked with Ninja so I can't compare it but with MC it's really different. The same thing can be said about IRT. Initially it's also not a very intuitive platform.
Yes, the learning curve can be steep but then again, it depends from where are you coming from.

SC was built to deliver charts, good and stable indicators, good and stable trading platform. The visual aspect was clearly put aside but let's face it, the majority of traders only want to trade, they have no interest looking at a Picasso painting while trading

That's why I advise people looking for a chart platform and Market/Volume Profile to go to IRT instead of SC.
Visually speaking IRT made a terrific job with their profile options. Also, they allow many other options that SC lacks.

Getting back to the DOM, again it's a visual thing.
MC's DOM is a copy of Ninja's. I find it "cleaner" than SC's.
In terms of options I confess that I did not explored that much SC's DOM but the quantity of options you have there it wouldn't surprised me if SC's DOM would offer indeed more options than MC's.

Has anyone officially requested SC to update the look/feel/interface of the program to be easier to use/more intuitive, better looking, and with overall improved/updated aesthetics? With such quick development updates, one would think this could be done by them rather quickly/easily too. I would be interested to see their response to these complaints.

They clearly have their focus on tool functionality, not aesthetics.
I really can't argue with their option since, again, that is their main business, offer the best tools possible.

It's up to you to test it and see if your able to work with it.
If you're not a visual guy than you probably will get used to it quickly. Although difficult to understand initially, in a week or so you'll be able to work with it.
If you're a visual guy, well, only time will tell you if you get used to it or not.

If I started with SC first and then moved to IRT (I'm only discussing the chart platform here) maybe I would favored SC but "unfortunately" I started with IRT and you really miss many of IRT options when working with SC.

If I become half a percent smarter each year, I'll be a genius by the time I die
Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

arnie View Post
That's why I advise people looking for a chart platform and Market/Volume Profile to go to IRT instead of SC.
Visually speaking IRT made a terrific job with their profile options. Also, they allow many other options that SC lacks.

Indeed, one of these is the ability to select and resize a custom drawn profile. Requiring package 5 for the "Draw profile" tool in SC is a bit laughable.

arnie View Post
Getting back to the DOM, again it's a visual thing.
MC's DOM is a copy of Ninja's. I find it "cleaner" than SC's.

That's probably because SC's is basically just a bunch of columns of text with some lines drawn to delineate them. I have not used MC's DOM (only once), but Ninja's DOM, Xtrader, CTS, okay, pretty much every other one, has the look of a separate type of sub-application. In sierra it looks like what it is: a chart with a DOM plastered to it with some duct tape I still see no real advantage to SC's DOM over NT's, except that it has 10 levels of depth vs. NT's 5.

Thanked by:

arnie 
Europe

josh View Post
Indeed, one of these is the ability to select and resize a custom drawn profile. Requiring package 5 for the "Draw profile" tool in SC is a bit laughable.

And buttons. Don't forget the buttons.
The ability to create buttons to switch on and off any indicator, line, whatever, is something priceless.

josh View Post
That's probably because SC's is basically just a bunch of columns of text with some lines drawn to delineate them. I have not used MC's DOM (only once), but Ninja's DOM, Xtrader, CTS, okay, pretty much every other one, has the look of a separate type of sub-application. In sierra it looks like what it is: a chart with a DOM plastered to it with some duct tape I still see no real advantage to SC's DOM over NT's, except that it has 10 levels of depth vs. NT's 5.

Really strange NT's DOM only showing 5 levels...

I saw a NT's DOM image and was the same as MC's.
Does NT's DOM have built in strategies like MC's? MC's developed built in strategies but I don't know if NT's also has this built in.

If I become half a percent smarter each year, I'll be a genius by the time I die
Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

arnie View Post
And buttons. Don't forget the buttons.
The ability to create buttons to switch on and off any indicator, line, whatever, is something priceless.

Indeed, though if I may say, as much as I loved IRT, charts never did duplicate correctly, and I was always running into deleting one button from one chart, and it disappears from another, and this kind of thing. But yes, buttons were cool.

arnie View Post
Really strange NT's DOM only showing 5 levels...

I saw a NT's DOM image and was the same as MC's.
Does NT's DOM have built in strategies like MC's? MC's developed built in strategies but I don't know if NT's also has this built in.

Yes, NT has strategies, though you cannot add a strategy to an open position, only modify one that is already running.

Thanked by:

arnie 
Europe

josh View Post
Indeed, though if I may say, as much as I loved IRT, charts never did duplicate correctly, and I was always running into deleting one button from one chart, and it disappears from another, and this kind of thing. But yes, buttons were cool.

I never had such a problem.
Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember a very similar episode where the duplication wasn't perfect but that was resolved. All charts have been correctly duplicated.
Again, never had that problem with buttons.

Probably some bug that has been cleared.

But IRT has its own issues.
I just can't understand why some preferences windows continues to be allowed to go behind a chart. It drives me nuts when I want to do something on a chart and it doesn't respond because some preferences window that I opened without noticing got behind it and as a result I can't see to close it. This is probably the only thing that stresses me over IRT.

josh View Post
Yes, NT has strategies, though you cannot add a strategy to an open position, only modify one that is already running.

You can't add a strategy while the position is open?
Although having a simple stop loss strategy to be automatically attached when the position is opened on the DOM at the moment, many times I delete it and add another strategy.
If I understood you correctly, at least with MC I'm able to add a strategy to an open position.

kamicrazy
New Zealand

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 32

My favourite SC feature?

It runs on Wine.

I have tested it using crossover on OS X and it runs fairly well.

Last Updated on May 23, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts