NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

MultiCharts, MultiCharts, MultiCharts...

Discussion in MultiCharts

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 195 posts (166 thanks)
    2. looks_two TonyB with 56 posts (20 thanks)
    3. looks_3 MultiCharts with 46 posts (41 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Snoop with 27 posts (14 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one FulcrumTrader with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 MultiCharts with 0.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 TonyB with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 341,642 views
    2. thumb_up 510 thanks given
    3. group 93 followers
    1. forum 827 posts
    2. attach_file 71 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

MultiCharts, MultiCharts, MultiCharts...

sharp2be 
Canada

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NT, TS
Broker: Amp
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 69

Mike/MC users, have a question for you regarding backfill with Zen-Fire... I have Mirus as broker and when I plug MC it doesn't backfill... how are you guys getting around that? Or are you not using Zen-Fire for backfill?

Thanks in advance.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,246
Thanks Received: 101,669

sharp2be View Post
Mike/MC users, have a question for you regarding backfill with Zen-Fire... I have Mirus as broker and when I plug MC it doesn't backfill... how are you guys getting around that? Or are you not using Zen-Fire for backfill?

Thanks in advance.

Zen Fire has no historical backfill. NinjaTrader compensates by providing historical backfill for NT customers.

A few months ago, MultiCharts and Zen worked something out for 3-days of historical backfill, but it isn't much obviously.

I did two things to get around it:
a) Export all tick data I had out of NT7 and into MC. Was a simple and painless process. You can use the ExportData tool that MXASJ wrote.

b) Use IQFeed which has something like 2 weeks of tick data and 2 years of minute data for backfill.

You really can't fault MultiCharts here, the problem is Zen Fire. I'm fine with the above work arounds, especially since MultiCharts lets you build a single chart from more than one data source just for this very purpose (historical + live).

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread
Richard
Dallas TX/USA

Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 284

Ranger View Post
Agreed - for that particular strategy using multidata is easier.

I'm converting common indicators into global variables and taking only their outputs to be used in signals. Doing this, I can keep the code simple in my entry signals and for debugging.

I'm trying to think of something that I can't do with "data2'... but as long as we're allowed to convert things to make them work... I can't think of anything. Many functions will work correctly "out of the box" on Data2, so that's another plus, the way I score things anyway. So, I may be dense but I still don't see the need to bring ADE into it.

That's not to say what you're doing isn't right, I just wanted to offer a different perspective. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Henrik
Berlin, Germany

Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 6

Pity that MC does not support MBT

Ranger
Port St Lucie, FL

Thanks Given: 9
Thanks Received: 48

Hi Richard ....

It's a good perspective and thanks for sharing it.

ADE has a purpose - I copied the introduction from the installation instruction in case you wanted more information. I also attached the txt file below.

//////////

The “All Data Everywhere” library (or ADE for short) is a set of EasyLanguage functions and indicators that allow you to store any kind of data for any symbol and bar interval. You can then access that data from any study or strategy, regardless of the symbol or bar interval.

One powerful use for ADE is to store higher timeframe data for a symbol and then access that data from a lower timeframe. For example, you can calculate and store ADX and RSI for a 30 minute chart, and then you can access that data from a 5 minute chart.

Another powerful use for ADE is to look at data for other symbols. You can use ADE to store data (OHLC, volume, indicators, etc) for an entire portfolio of symbols, and then you can access the data for any symbol from any other symbol. This makes it possible to perform analyses that depend on the relationships between different symbols in your portfolio.

ADE includes the ability to save data to text files and load it back. This means that you can pre-calculate and store data for any symbols and timeframes you want, and you can retrieve that data whenever you want. For example, you can store five years of data for a 30 minute MSFT chart. If you open a 30 minute MSFT chart with only one month of data, your study or strategy can load the five years of historical data and append only the new data. It is not necessary to recalculate the entire five years every time.

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: All Data Everywhere.doc
Thanked by:

sharp2be 
Canada

Platform: NT, TS
Broker: Amp
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 69

Hi, have a questions for the MC users out there. Although I own a lifetime license of NT I like Multicharts for the simplicity, workspaces, similarity to TS and ability to use multiple data sources... but, always a but, here are some of the things that are concerns and would like to hear opinions on it:

- I worry about the fact that MC pigs back on Tradestation, especially when comes to EasyLanguage. Although I find it very 'easy' as Mike correctly pointed out in this thread I also believe Tradestation is fully aware that both the language and their development environment is outdated ... Not suggesting it will die but when compared to other modern languages it leaves a lot of be desired. It is also clear to me that Tradestation will start making their platform a lot more proprietary going forward, their first step is the newer version which sports a completely redesigned dev environment and from what I hear they've made changes to their ELD import process. Thinking from their pespective for a moment, I would do everything I can to close any doors to external tools, except for their development partners which by the way are extremely concerned about their ability to 'lock' their intellectual property.

- My second concern is regarding the TSSUPPORT.com and their ability to stay in business, I honestly don't know anything about them and I'm only speculating but I'm reading in their recent pricing actions... I've read in their board that they were offering 2nd licenses of their product at very reduced rates... I'm guessing it's an attempt to fix their DRM issues (still unresolved by the way) and also another concern of mine.

- Lastly, as much as I think the NT team did and continue to do a very poor development job they have the right business model in place, they appeal to the brokers which are looking for something sexy (such as trade from the charts) that will make their customers overtrade ... I get that... I think NT will be in business a long time, I like their development environment/C#, their charts but completely dislike their quality... when looking at the overall NT7 package I think it's one ugly machine.. not to mention slow, buggy and with no concept of user interface design...

One more point, sorry for the long post... One way or the other there are some serious competitors such as eSignal and Tradestation coming up with fairly advanced version of their platform and they are ahead because they own the feeds... eSignal is opening up to all the brokers out there and are flooding the market with brands that will cater to every trader out there..

Last guess... Last I spoke to my Mirus broker I've got the impression they are sick and tired of all the NinjaTrader complaints and how people sometimes associate NT problems with their services (I would)... Zen-Fire came up with a very slick web trader / DOM interface which is in beta now but it just shows their are concerned and I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with their own trading platform... after all, they have a good feed and possibly quite a bit of cash in hand...

Again, sorry for the long post, would like to hear opinions and comments on some of my points.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:
 philloo 
Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Multichart
Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 27

I'm pretty sure that multichart are coming with C# language programmation in the future it will be nice to have a conversion tool with to past from c# to easylanguage and the inverse will be nice too.

Richard
Dallas TX/USA

Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 284

sharp2be View Post
Not suggesting it will die but when compared to other modern languages it leaves a lot of be desired.

You don't have to look around too hard to see that most people fumbling their way through C# programming have no idea those "modern" features are even there, much less how to use them. They would be far better off using a domain-specific language like EL IMO. Yeah, it would be nice if it were extended a bit, true enough. For everyday use though, I'm much faster on EL than ninjascript just because of the conciseness. When more is necessary, you can fall back on a DLL.

sharp2be View Post
One more point, sorry for the long post... One way or the other there are some serious competitors such as eSignal and Tradestation coming up with fairly advanced version of their platform and they are ahead because they own the feeds...

I don't know what to say.. except neither of those are "ahead" in most respects right now. If I always held back on technology purchases because something better might come out in the future, I'd never buy anything. Instead, I see a platform as a pretty cheap business expense (trading is the cheapest venture I've ever been in, except maybe for blogging). If a better platform appears later, I'll buy it too.

aslan 
Madison, WI

Platform: ALT
Thanks Given: 356
Thanks Received: 1,127

I am still using the demo, so can not use forums yet, and have not been able to figure out if I can create a custom data connection for MC QuoteManager. Wondering if anyone here knows?

What I want to be able to do, is monitor a datafeed and do some massaging of the data into my own custom symbol which I could then be feed into QuoteManager for use in a chart. The reason for massaging the data is that I can not access all of the data I need from within easylanguage, and not all of it is stored by MC in the database, making historical data unavailable.

I can do this outside of QuoteManager using my own database and using DLL code to access it, but I really want to use the data as a symbol within MC.

Any ideas?

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,246
Thanks Received: 101,669

aslan View Post
I am still using the demo, so can not use forums yet, and have not been able to figure out if I can create a custom data connection for MC QuoteManager. Wondering if anyone here knows?

What I want to be able to do, is monitor a datafeed and do some massaging of the data into my own custom symbol which I could then be feed into QuoteManager for use in a chart. The reason for massaging the data is that I can not access all of the data I need from within easylanguage, and not all of it is stored by MC in the database, making historical data unavailable.

I can do this outside of QuoteManager using my own database and using DLL code to access it, but I really want to use the data as a symbol within MC.

Any ideas?

Not 100% sure I understand, but if I think I do then you are wanting to do the same thing I did.

I had years worth of tick data in Ninja, and I wanted to export that to MC so I could use it.

So, I wrote a quick and dirty export "strategy" to just create a text file with date/time, last, volume etc and dump the data. You can use MXASJ's "ExportData" function from the Downloads area for this.

Then I used QuoteManager, created a new instrument. I told it ASCII source.

Then I imported the data. You can also "map" the data, where it looks for the file for new data as it happens too (per my understanding) but that isn't what I needed.

If this isn't what you meant let me know

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on July 24, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts