NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

CL Market Profile Analysis

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one David_R with 112 posts (123 thanks)
    2. looks_two fiki with 32 posts (49 thanks)
    3. looks_3 DeadCatBouncer with 24 posts (30 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 24 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one fiki with 1.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two DeadCatBouncer with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 David_R with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 aviat72 with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 84,603 views
    2. thumb_up 236 thanks given
    3. group 43 followers
    1. forum 280 posts
    2. attach_file 133 attachments

Search this Thread

CL Market Profile Analysis

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: Something moving
Thanks Given: 2,335
Thanks Received: 2,524

Market Profile chart for CL up to and including 5/7. I also include a chart with some past merges that show value was declining on a higher time frame. In other words, the two merges are both about 2 weeks in length, but the value area was falling from one two week period to the other. Just an interesting observation at this point in time. There is also a 60 minute bar chart that shows where the merges would be as well as possible support areas for CL.

David

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cl merge history 50710.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	13023   Click image for larger version

Name:	cl050710 merg current.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	13024   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 0507 60 min.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	13025  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

cunparis 
Paris, France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,094

David_R View Post
C,

What would be a swing set up vs. a daytrade setup? Just on a higher timeframe?

Feel free to bounce off any ideas. I think the things I mentioned above about Crude apply to ES as well. I find it difficult to gauge a swing trade because one needs to be sure the trend is with them. Even a 20 point move in the ES can be erased, so what constitutes a swing? I don't know.

For my method, swing trades are very similar to day trades just, as you say, on a higher timeframe.

As it turns out my idea for a short CL trade would have worked perfectly. I don't swing trade crude but it was a nice opportunity.

Trading with the "trend" is difficult cause I don't really believe in trend. The market is fractal and there are trends & trading ranges at all timeframes, often in opposite directions. So the trick is to find out in what timeframe is the market cycling, verify professional activity is confirming the cycles, and then trade that timeframe.

For example using ES, we can have on the monthly we can have trend down, on the weekly have trend up, on the daily have trend up, on hourly have trend down.

This is why I monitor a market on several timeframes and really it's why I trade only ES because it's time-consuming to trade several.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

cunparis View Post
For my method, swing trades are very similar to day trades just, as you say, on a higher timeframe.

As it turns out my idea for a short CL trade would have worked perfectly. I don't swing trade crude but it was a nice opportunity.

Trading with the "trend" is difficult cause I don't really believe in trend. The market is fractal and there are trends & trading ranges at all timeframes, often in opposite directions. So the trick is to find out in what timeframe is the market cycling, verify professional activity is confirming the cycles, and then trade that timeframe.

For example using ES, we can have on the monthly we can have trend down, on the weekly have trend up, on the daily have trend up, on hourly have trend down.

This is why I monitor a market on several timeframes and really it's why I trade only ES because it's time-consuming to trade several.

Yes, you certainly had it right on CL. You had the call, but there may have been a day or two more to the upside. I'm not sure how one would handle a swing on CL if you had to sit through a couple bucks of heat. I guess if one has deep pockets it wouldn't matter. I think that is where turning a day trade short into a swing would be a good idea.

cunparis 
Paris, France

Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,094

David_R View Post
Yes, you certainly had it right on CL. You had the call, but there may have been a day or two more to the upside. I'm not sure how one would handle a swing on CL if you had to sit through a couple bucks of heat. I guess if one has deep pockets it wouldn't matter. I think that is where turning a day trade short into a swing would be a good idea.

That's my problem, I don't want to take a few days of heat with CL. That could be $2000-$5000. Trading USO is one choice. QM is another. but for me it's more about practicing and testing my understanding of the market.

I've also learned that spotting a good opportunity and putting money on the line to capitalize on it are two different things. I often "know" ES is going to do something but always manage to mess up the trade by being early or getting out breakeven before the big move, etc. Very difficult. But practice makes perfect.

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

cunparis View Post
That's my problem, I don't want to take a few days of heat with CL. That could be $2000-$5000. Trading USO is one choice. QM is another. but for me it's more about practicing and testing my understanding of the market.

I've also learned that spotting a good opportunity and putting money on the line to capitalize on it are two different things. I often "know" ES is going to do something but always manage to mess up the trade by being early or getting out breakeven before the big move, etc. Very difficult. But practice makes perfect.

C,

Another thought is if you are confident in your "knowing" that ES is going to do something you could try an option play of some kind. Either options on futures or as you said USO for CL, you could do options on the SPY for ES. That would have worked out nicely as well.

D

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

Here is a 12 range bar chart chart of CL with AMT/Market Profile type trades. Yes, difficult in real time, but useful.

D

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cl050810 MP.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	13034  
Thanked by:

gtichauer 
Argentina

Experience: Intermediate
Broker: Zen Fire / IB
Trading: ES, TF, 6E, CL
Thanks Given: 807
Thanks Received: 298

David_R View Post
Here is a 12 range bar chart chart of CL with AMT/Market Profile type trades. Yes, difficult in real time, but useful.

D

David are those lines marking balance areas and VA's an indicator or u manually draw it after analyzing the chart?

GT

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

gtichauer View Post
David are those lines marking balance areas and VA's an indicator or u manually draw it after analyzing the chart?

The markings are placed by me after the fact. I do feel that is the way the market works. It is in balance aka consolidation and then it moves to imbalance aka vertical move and then back again. I also find it interesting that the areas of balance or consolidation tend to be the areas where supply and demand are. As always, trading it in real time is the tough part.

David

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,247
Thanks Received: 101,669

For swing trades I think your better off with USO unless you have a very large account, because even QM is still quite large to swing multi-day.

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

Here is a MP chart for CL. This is as of Wednesday the 12th. In a bit of a range the last 4 days after quite a sell off. Some nearby S/R marked on the chart.

David

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cl512mp.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	13302  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 28, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts