NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

What C# development platform do you use?

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one sefstrat with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two piersh with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tortexal with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cashinvestor with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 11,610 views
    2. thumb_up 0 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 17 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

What C# development platform do you use?

tortexal
Panama!

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 24

i used pico actually

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Zondor 
Portland Oregon, United States

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninjatrader®
Broker: CQG, Kinetick
Trading: Gameplay Klownbine® Trading of Globex
Thanks Given: 1,246
Thanks Received: 2,731

I do all of my editing and coding in the Ninjascript editor. I do have Visual C# Express but only use it for saving files into the indicators folder. I will see if my high school enrolled son is eligible for the Dreamspark program.

In another thread I recommended that by right clicking within the Ninjatrader editor and adding a reference to System. Speech. dll. you give Ninjatrader text to speech capability that allows custom spoken alerts that are under programmatic control.

I'm also interested in making calls to a relational database from within Ninjascript. I know it can be done, but haven't done any work on that yet.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

aslan 
Madison, WI

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ALT
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 356
Thanks Received: 1,127

I have always just used the built in editor for Ninja. It can limit you a bit, but for what you need for 99% of projects, the built in editor is just fine.

kandlekid
College Point, NY (Queens)

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 20

I do most of my dev on Linux, with the vi (vim) editor (was a Unix developer in a previous life), then copy to windoze for compilation. I don't mind the NT editor for small changes, but ... well with grep, sed, awk etc, etc ...

aviat72 
San Francisco Bay Area

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT,TOS,IB
Trading: ES,CL,TF
Thanks Given: 161
Thanks Received: 273

I haven't tried this but there seems to be a way to enable JIT debugger for Visual Studio Express also.

NinjaTrader Support Forum - View Single Post - Workaround to Debug with Visual Studio Express Edition

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

cashinvestor 
Spokane, WA

Platform: ninjatrader, tradestation, esignal
Trading: Futures, Futures Options
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 10

Excellent responses. I knew about JetBrains, but not resharper. Also the post about dreamspark.com was a good one.

I went to dreamspark and found that they send an automated email to an edu account and you verify through the email. So I tried the alumni .edu account from my college and replied to the verify mail. It worked! I got a 12 month license to the dreamspark site which allows me to download
- Visual Studio 2010 Pro (no serial key reqd)
- MS Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (provides a generic key)
- SQL Server 2008 Developer
and much more.

Finally I've got a valid Visual Studio copy with the latest and greatest. I've been needing this for a long time.

If you have an alumni login to your school, try using this. Technically it is against the licensing, but it's all for the benefit of education. Lord knows we need as much help as we can get. I'm a student even though I may not be enrolled in a school at the moment. Always a student of technology.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
 NetTecture 
Szczecin

Platform: Ninja, writing own now

The full set for C# - I seriously dispise the crap Ninja has produced as editor, and I would rather prefer they would fully support Visual Studio, with custom debugging plug ins etc.

* VIsual Studio 2010.
* TFS 2010 for my source code archives now. Prior versions were "no", but that new one is nice.
* TFS for work item tracking. Yes, I do that
* * Yes, again not really for strategies.
* TFS build vor CI work (agreeable, not ninja trader). I do some more complex stuff and want to know I do not break something - so I do continuous integration and gated check ins, with unit testing etc.
* * That part is currently too slow. Need a new server here with the new AMD 6 core - should triple the performance there Old dual core there - way too slow.
* SQL Server for data, obviously

The whole thing is running on one old server (the oldest here) so far - 8gb RAM, dual core Athlon, hyper-v, then virtual machines. I will soonish (next month) replace it with a 6 core AMD (with turbo boost - should give me about three times performance), 16gb RAM and then 4 discs in a RAID 10 so I finally have more space there (I am a little space limited). THat is the server side - the Continous integration cycle so far takes around 8 minutes and that is getting on my nerves

With the new memory I can also allocate a nice 4 core / 4gb virtual machine for backtesting

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,247
Thanks Received: 101,669

NetTecture, I sent you a PM but not sure you got it. Just briefly wanted to say to look here:

If you are interested reply on that thread.

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on June 19, 2010

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts