NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Custom Stock Indices; Python/Excel/R; stats


Discussion in Stocks and ETFs

Updated
    1. trending_up 1,743 views
    2. thumb_up 0 thanks given
    3. group 1 followers
    1. forum 1 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
burton1995
Kansas City, KS
 
Posts: 4 since Jan 2013
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

Hi there folks - I'm interested in making a two custom indices from IBD's top 200 and bottom 200 stocks using a geometric average. I would like to conduct volume to range analysis on the individual issues, correlations between stocks in the other index, build/monitor pairs trades. In the beginning I would only need EOD data. Can I just pick an arbitrary number such as 5,000 or do I have to get a baseline number from the issues themselves? I'm not interested in a Market Cap index and obviously the stocks are rotated through these lists on a fairly regular basis.

Eventually I would like to add swing trading futures and do some statistical testing such as CL above 20 sma, two down days and close in lower 25% of range, how often is the low of day(0) violated, etc.

Can this be done in Excel? Should it be? If either Python or R are the better tool, which one and why? Thanks very much and I look forward to your answers.


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
EA
Platforms and Indicators
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks




Last Updated on March 23, 2015


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts