NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Ninjatrader 8 not ready for prime time?

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bobc635 with 39 posts (66 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 30 posts (58 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Blash with 26 posts (24 thanks)
    4. looks_4 NinjaTrader with 22 posts (43 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one NinjaTrader with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 1.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobc635 with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Blash with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 93,636 views
    2. thumb_up 437 thanks given
    3. group 68 followers
    1. forum 310 posts
    2. attach_file 16 attachments

Search this Thread

Ninjatrader 8 not ready for prime time?

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: NT 8, TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5,139
Thanks Received: 11,527

ignacio90 View Post
Rename your NinjaTrader 8 folder (NinjaTrader Old). Remove your version of NinjaTrader and install the 13.1 version. You will not lose any of your indicators or workspaces and only you will need to copy them to the new folder created for NinjaTrader.

thanks @ignacio90 it will certainly work this way. but it should also work the way I described a couple posts above. just delete the app (not the folder). I did it yesterday this way and didn't lose any custom indicators, templates or workspaces.

Silvester17 View Post
if you decide to go back to version 8.0.13.1:

- the download link for version 8.0.13.1 is still available on the nt download site
- you need to uninstall version 8.0.14.1 first
- your settings (indicators, templates, workspaces etc) will still be there

good luck

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Kaimu 
Madrid - Spain

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninja
Trading: ES,NQ
Thanks Given: 883
Thanks Received: 346

Silvester17 View Post
thanks @ignacio90 it will certainly work this way. but it should also work the way I described a couple posts above. just delete the app (not the folder). I did it yesterday this way and didn't lose any custom indicators, templates or workspaces.

Miss this part, good job helping, like always...

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,526
Thanks Received: 26,292

Silvester17 View Post
if you decide to go back to version 8.0.13.1:

- the download link for version 8.0.13.1 is still available on the nt download site
- you need to uninstall version 8.0.14.1 first
- your settings (indicators, templates, workspaces etc) will still be there

good luck

This procedure works fine.

The indicators, templates, charts, etc. are kept in a NinjaTrader 8 folder in the Documents folder, completely different from the program files, which are in C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8 (or wherever you specified when you installed it), and the uninstall only takes out the program files.

So you're safe to just uninstall. (Settings > Apps & features, select NinjaTrader 8 and click uninstall.)

I just ran it and it worked fine. (Being a little chicken, I did back up the NT8 folder in Documents first anyway, but it was not necessary. )

Then do the new install from the download. Everything is there, as expected. Easy.

Thanks for the tips. I wasn't totally sure until it all came back, but it did. No one should worry.

Bob.

Thanked by:

mmaker 
Toronto Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninjatrader
Trading: es
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 1,178
Thanks Received: 508

Thanks Bob - I will give it a go.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,426

@Fat Tails, @Silvester17, @bobwest

In this case I have to say that the evaluation of the 13 -> 14 change is incorrect. Just because releases have so far behaved in the same manner up until 13 does not mean that 14 is wrong. In fact the documentation is very clear on the way Brushes and similar resources should be allocated in OnRender or managed in OnRenderTargetChanged.:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/en-us/?onrendertargetchanged.htm

Additionally, as NT8 has a static 250ms minimum refresh time for plot updates there will be effectively zero overhead from allocating and freeing brushes, as the code is effectively running at user rate, not any sort of maximum compute rate. Hence pre-allocating of Brushes is both wrong and unnecessary.

It may be possible to persuade them to change this aspect of the code from an assumed order to a guaranteed order but as it stands the application is correct as per specification, other reliability issues notwithstanding.

Travel Well
 bobc635 
Tucson

Broker: Stage5
Trading: CL, YM
Thanks Given: 137
Thanks Received: 233

Thanks Bob and Silvester...Some of my friends lost ACME indies with the V 14 release....

I am OK so far, but watching...
Bob

bobwest View Post
NT 8.0.14.1 issues.

I'm putting this post here because I think a number of NT 8 users will see it.

A post by @Silvester17 today ( ), directs us to a post by Harry ( @Fat Tails ) on the NT Support Forum regarding issues in NT 8.0.14.1, the newest release, that cause problems with his "ama" NT8 indicators, and, of course, potentially many more.

See link to the NinjaTrader site here: https://forum.ninjatrader.com/showthread.php?p=543768

Probably most users should wait to download the current version until the issues are addressed, as of course they will be. You can also always to back to NT 8.0.13.1 if you already have installed 14.1, and you probably should if you have any issues.

Thanks to @Fat Tails and @Silvester17 for the heads up.

Bob.

Thanked by:

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

bobwest View Post
NT 8.0.14.1 issues.

I'm putting this post here because I think a number of NT 8 users will see it.

A post by @Silvester17 today ( ), directs us to a post by Harry ( @Fat Tails ) on the NT Support Forum regarding issues in NT 8.0.14.1, the newest release, that cause problems with his "ama" NT8 indicators, and, of course, potentially many more.

See link to the NinjaTrader site here: https://forum.ninjatrader.com/showthread.php?p=543768

Probably most users should wait to download the current version until the issues are addressed, as of course they will be. You can also always to back to NT 8.0.13.1 if you already have installed 14.1, and you probably should if you have any issues.

Thanks to @Fat Tails and @Silvester17 for the heads up.

Bob.

release 14.2 should resolve this issue

Quoting 

An update:

* We've been in communication with Harry to resolve the issue.
* Harry's indicators depend on the order of operations between state management and OnRenderTargetChanged.
* We did not document or expect internally that this order of operations is guaranteed.
* We fixed a bug in R14 which caused the sequence of operations to change. Which we did not believe to be an error condition due to the point prior.
* That bug fix is valid and should be maintained.

As a result, release 14.2 will add a concept to NinjaTrader whereby guaranteeing order of operations on indicators and strategies in regards to State.Configure being prior to the first OnRenderTargetChanged, which should resolve the issue posted here. We will also add documentation noting that this sequence is now guaranteed.

Thanks everyone for reporting the issue and sorry for the inconvenience.

https://forum.ninjatrader.com/showpost.php?p=543988&postcount=13

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,103

ratfink View Post
@Fat Tails, @Silvester17, @bobwest

In this case I have to say that the evaluation of the 13 -> 14 change is incorrect. Just because releases have so far behaved in the same manner up until 13 does not mean that 14 is wrong. In fact the documentation is very clear on the way Brushes and similar resources should be allocated in OnRender or managed in OnRenderTargetChanged.:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/en-us/?onrendertargetchanged.htm

Additionally, as NT8 has a static 250ms minimum refresh time for plot updates there will be effectively zero overhead from allocating and freeing brushes, as the code is effectively running at user rate, not any sort of maximum compute rate. Hence pre-allocating of Brushes is both wrong and unnecessary.

It may be possible to persuade them to change this aspect of the code from an assumed order to a guaranteed order but as it stands the application is correct as per specification, other reliability issues notwithstanding.

I agree with what you have written, and that we are not talking about a bug, but an undocumented behavior

- which is expected (first configure an indicator and then access the configured objects)
- which all prior releases shared
- and which several NinjaTrader developers had taken for granted (although it was not granted)

Meanwhile NinjaTrader support and development have been very helpful to find a fix for the issue, which will be available with the release NT 8.0.14.2.

I guess that I owe a big "Thank you" to Brett and his team.

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,426

Fat Tails View Post
Meanwhile NinjaTrader support and development have been very helpful to find a fix for the issue, which will be available with the release NT 8.0.14.2.

I guess that I owe a big "Thank you" to Brett and his team.

Yes, good news.

It is a shame that the current architecture and implementation will always be prone to this kind of situation - methinks we need to move from NT8 to NT10... In the meantime thanks to all who face the coalface head-on and help to improve things a little at a time.

Travel Well
Thanked by:

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

version 8.0.14.2 is available for download

Quoting 
NinjaTrader Version 8.0.14.2 is available for download.

Release Notes

Download

https://forum.ninjatrader.com/showthread.php?t=109853

edit: everything seems to work fine now. good job, thank you!!

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 17, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts