NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading journal ES system trading.

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kanepa with 150 posts (316 thanks)
    2. looks_two tihfa with 12 posts (12 thanks)
    3. looks_3 TraderEX with 6 posts (9 thanks)
    4. looks_4 MarkB with 5 posts (7 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Sazon with 3.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kanepa with 2.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 TraderEX with 1.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tihfa with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 54,560 views
    2. thumb_up 400 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 215 posts
    2. attach_file 149 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading journal ES system trading.

kanepa 
philadelphia pa

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 348
Thanks Received: 409

MarkB View Post
I could be wrong about this but I don't think ninjatrader is capable of more than one strategy per instrument per account, otherwise there would be a conflict with synchronizing with the account, no?

Hi MarkB.

I think they used to have those problems in past. But what I have found out was even conflicting strategies(buy and sell at same time) gets reconcile in account position. So if one is long 1 and other is short 2, they both are active in stops and profit target placed but account will show net short 1.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

MarkB
Ontario, Canada

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 64

kanepa View Post
Hi MarkB.

I think they used to have those problems in past. But what I have found out was even conflicting strategies(buy and sell at same time) gets reconcile in account position. So if one is long 1 and other is short 2, they both are active in stops and profit target placed but account will show net short 1.

While that may be true, I think that one of those positions is an account position and one is a strategy position - account positions are real, strategy positions are not. I would check the actual executions to ensure that the 'net short 1' is not a false report.

Thanked by:
MarkB
Ontario, Canada

kanepa View Post
Not sure if Ninjatrader fixed the issue but I have had strategies not firing and firing at wrong time when I started last year.

This is the behavior that I am referring to in my posts - historical positions that are triggered at strategy startup become strategy positions that can and will actually trigger a real trade in the account, which would result in the appearance of your strategy firing at the wrong time or not firing at all.

More than one strategy running on one instrument would *I think* conjure the strategy and the account to work in conflict.

I'll check my facts and let you know if ninjatrader has improved this but I don't think they have.

Good system trading though, great thread, really enjoying your progress.

Thanked by:
 kanepa 
philadelphia pa

MarkB View Post
While that may be true, I think that one of those positions is an account position and one is a strategy position - account positions are real, strategy positions are not. I would check the actual executions to ensure that the 'net short 1' is not a false report.

Yes. Indeed. I can not sit in front of computer all day but I intend to check in frequently to monitor the status.

kanepa 
philadelphia pa

MarkB View Post
This is the behavior that I am referring to in my posts - historical positions that are triggered at strategy startup become strategy positions that can and will actually trigger a real trade in the account, which would result in the appearance of your strategy firing at the wrong time or not firing at all.

More than one strategy running on one instrument would *I think* conjure the strategy and the account to work in conflict.

I'll check my facts and let you know if ninjatrader has improved this but I don't think they have.

Good system trading though, great thread, really enjoying your progress.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes. Look forward to hear back from you about ninjatrader.

And not only I broke down strategies into pieces, I have two ES chart going on at same time. One trading original system and the other trading new one. Just being cautious.

Thanked by:
MarkB
Ontario, Canada

kanepa View Post
Thank you for your kind words. Yes. Look forward to hear back from you about ninjatrader.

And not only I broke down strategies into pieces, I have two ES chart going on at same time. One trading original system and the other trading new one. Just being cautious.

Okay so here's what I could dig up. Yes you can run two strategies on one instrument, the strategies are unaware of each other. HOWEVER, since each strategy synchronizes with your account position, this is where things get tricky. When I use the term 'account position', I am referring to trades that are actually executed on the server and affect your account balance. Strategies in ninjatrader can also execute historically, these are referred to as 'strategy positions' and although they appear to be having an impact on p&l, they actually don't, they're just simulated trades that are not actually executed on the server. I still don't know why ninjatrader bothered to include strategy positions but there you have it.

Let me preface this by saying that in ninjatrader, from what I understand, you can only be net long or net short - you cannot hold both a long and short position simultaneously in the same account on the same instrument.

Moving on. Let's say for example that one strategy signals a long position, so your account executes a long position and you are now net long. A few minutes later, the other strategy signals a short position - ideally, you would expect to have one contract long and one short, which would act as a bit of a hedge until one of the stops gets hit. But what actually happens, is that the account, which was originally net long, activates a short position which flattens the account, since you cannot be both long and short on the same instrument. So now you are net flat. To make matters worse, when the stops get hit, the strategy triggers buy/sell orders to 'close' the position (not realizing that you're already flat), which puts you back into the market in the very place you were hoping to get out of your original trades.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense. The only way that I can imagine more than one strategy working on one instrument is if the strategies run parallel to each other, so they are either always net long or always net short.

I'm interested to hear if you're able to make it work.

Thanked by:
 kanepa 
philadelphia pa

Hey MarkB.

That is how I understood ninjatrader. If system A is short at 2700 and system B is at long at 2701, account is flat but both strategy has virtual live position. Being A's stop order is at 2705 and B's profit order is at 2705, It will create no live order to exchange since real account position is flat. But in virtual system
A: short at 2700. stoped at 2705 = -5
B Long at 2701. exit at 2705 = +4

-5+4=-1

Real account.
short at 2700 and exit at 2701 = -1

Above concept seems to be fine with me as long as the end result in the same AND no new position is open due to other system's stops or profit target orders. So I am looking for a confirmation from ninjatrader. Will let you know as soon as I hear back.

kanepa 
philadelphia pa

Here is exchange from Ninjatrader.

https://forum.ninjatrader.com/showthread.php?p=542718

While it would be the best to open up another account, I will go ahead and try it with ninjatrader for now.

Thanked by:
 kanepa 
philadelphia pa

First, Thank you @MarkB . To raise a concerns on ninjatrader's capability to trade multiple strategies on same contract. Glad I got official respond from them. I will continue to trade with ninja and if there is any issues, Will report here as well.

May 2018. 8 trades. 3 profit, 5 stopped out. Net $2300.00 Account is at 61k level.
Current target 8: account at 80k.

First system is more of cut and run. No runners. If it hits target, it's out. Second system I just added is fallowing and stay on with the trend. It hits home runs every now and then but showing lower probability than the first. Very interested in finding out these system's performances in real market.

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture78.PNG
Views:	237
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	250299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture79.PNG
Views:	257
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	250300  
Thanked by:
 kanepa 
philadelphia pa

I had two buys triggered today. No conflicts. Ninjatrader did enter and exit with correct amount of contract at right level.

System started out with losing trades. 4 in a row. resulting 4k loss. Today, made it close to 5 k to offset the loss and brought account back to 65k level.

Some doubts coming in to my mind ever since I added a new strategy. Wanting to reduce or re-balance risk ratio between two strategies. It sorta feels like when I first started real time system trading. Nervous yet exciting. I am going to ignore those thoughts and will follow the original plan. Adding new strategy was already in my plan but could not come up with good enough one to try in real time until late last month.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_08 Jun. 06 21.39.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	250521  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 15, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts