NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Day Trading from an Ogre's Point of View

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one TradingOgre with 393 posts (1,177 thanks)
    2. looks_two MiniP with 26 posts (33 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobarian with 18 posts (25 thanks)
    4. looks_4 trendisyourfriend with 15 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two TradingOgre with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 2.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 MiniP with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 80,791 views
    2. thumb_up 1,547 thanks given
    3. group 58 followers
    1. forum 627 posts
    2. attach_file 263 attachments

Search this Thread

Day Trading from an Ogre's Point of View

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage - Philip Capital
Trading: NQ,ES,6E,CL
Thanks Given: 908
Thanks Received: 1,672

bobwest View Post
I'm glad you did this. Well worth watching.

I decided to just skip through to the good parts though -- 45 minutes is a bit long to sit through. I watched to the end, using the slider to skip along.

I did definitely like your annotations. They explained your decisions as well as audio would have.

The fact that you were recording and commenting in real time (while it was happening and not afterwards) is impressive. Your comments show how important it is to have a clear set of rules to follow. I wonder how stressful it was for you as you did it.

I'm looking forward to more, as you develop your filming and editing technique. Too bad about that cable, but you did fine for a first shot at something that's pretty difficult to do.

Bob.

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback.

I left as much as I did in the video just so people could zip forward and backward as much as they wanted to see what was going on. I am not going to monetize that YouTube account so how long people watch each video really doesn't matter. As the trading account grows and the amount of time I spend trading decreases so will the video length.

I am actually finding that annotating is actually helping me. It forces me to think about what I am doing and why I am doing it. Slows me down a bit. I think it will get even better when I do voice with it. I will probably keep some of the annotations but add them during the editing process later.

I have a new monitor coming today along with my missing XLR cable. I am adding the monitor so I can dedicate it to making the videos. My current monitors are ultra wide monitors (4k, 21:9 aspect ratio) which makes it a pain to capture and then make them usable by most people. The new monitor is a 16:9 aspect ratio which is a normal ratio. Right now I have to set one of my monitors to 1920x1080 to get it to capture correctly but I lose some screen real estate because of it. With the new dedicated monitor I can set everything up on the ultra wides and then enter trades on the new screen. Yeah, I used this as an excuse to get a new toy. Get over it. ROFL!

Once I get everything set up I will post a picture.

I haven't done any trading today. I didn't like the price movement earlier so unless I take a trade in the next few hours there won't be a video today. This will also give me time to set everything up once it gets here in a little while. Mailman is super slow on the days I am waiting for packages. LOL!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,176
Thanks Received: 6,020

Two different patterns based on different concepts but leading at the same place.

NQ today working toward the prior day VWAP while doing an harmonic measured move:

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

New Monitor...... check
XLR cable..... check
Sound........ check

Ok, we get sound for tomorrow's trading. Hope the market is kind. LOL!

Bare with me as I get used to doing this. It's a bit odd talking into a microphone with no one else around. Be prepared for corny humor and all around weirdness. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I will try to cover as much of my trading style as I can in this first video. I do plan on doing a very detailed video some time in the future but that will take some time to put together.

4tison 
PhuKet Island / Thailand

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart NT
Broker: IB / IQFeed
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 136
Thanks Received: 53

TradingOgre View Post
New Monitor...... check
XLR cable..... check
Sound........ check

Bare with me as I get used to doing this. It's a bit odd talking into a microphone with no one else around. Be prepared for corny humor and all around weirdness. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I will try to cover as much of my trading style as I can in this first video. I do plan on doing a very detailed video some time in the future but that will take some time to put together.

Thx for sharing, TradingOgre!

Great job!

Congrats!

Would like to see the right hand side
of your trading screens too, would you
oblige;

so we may see your trading charts,
as you narrate and take us along
your adventure tomorrow....?

Thx in advance.

spetscom
Niles, Michigan

Thanks Given: 83
Thanks Received: 113

TradingOgre View Post
New Monitor...... check

XLR cable..... check

Sound........ check

Really looking forward to it.

4tison 
PhuKet Island / Thailand

4tison View Post
Thx for sharing, TradingOgre!

Great job!

Congrats!

Would like to see the right hand side
of your trading screens too, would you
oblige;

so we may see your trading charts,
as you narrate and take us along
your adventure tomorrow....?

Thx in advance.

How do you plan to do your broadcast tomorrow?

And how do we follow along your narration?

blb014 
Dallas, Texas

Platform: TOS
Trading: AAPL, /ES, IWM, SPY Options
Thanks Given: 554
Thanks Received: 187

TradingOgre View Post
Good trading day overall even though I was distracted trying to get audio to work I managed to get some decent trades in along with 2 chicken trades. LOL!

Today I started a 1,000 dollar challenge as I listed in a previous post. 1 contract per 1,000 in the account with a starting balance of 1,000. Day went well with no drawdown, only 1 break even trade (so technically a $3.66 loser) and 3 trades profitable. Started with 1,000 ended with 1,340.36 after commissions. That works out to be a 34% gain. There were a ton of other opportunities to take trades but I was too distracted to take them. The returns would have been much higher. But I am not complaining about a 34% gain. In fact I am very happy with those numbers considering how unfocused I was most of the day.

I did take one trade based on the 50 tick chart early this morning. The 50 tick works really well early in the morning from about 1 am until about 8-9 am Eastern time US. I happened to be up and saw the opportunity and took it. I will be trading early in the morning tomorrow. Price is moving nicely then and it is a good opportunity to get in with tight stops which is great when trying to build a tiny account. If I can build a decent profit it will help later in the day to act as a cushion when the markets really start to move.

All the other trades today were based on the 1000 tick chart.

Now, I need to remember how to use Premier Pro. Been a while and they just updated it the other day. Time to knock off some rust. I will let everyone know when I upload the video. May take a bit, rust is tough to remove. LOL!

How did you feel being down 20% on that 1000tick trade? NQ retrace -10pts before moving up, Wouldn't that stopped you out?

Volatility is good for the market and trading.

Preservation of capital is the most important concept for those who want to stay in the trading game for the long haul. - Van Tharp

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

4tison View Post
How do you plan to do your broadcast tomorrow?

And how do we follow along your narration?

I will record it locally, then edit it down some and post to YouTube after I am done trading. I may do a live stream sometime in the future but right now I think it would be too distracting for me.

I will give as much detail as I can tomorrow as to how I trade but I do plan on doing a very detailed video in the future. I will basically be thinking out loud.

On my main screen that I will record I have all the same charts I have on the other screens just in tab form. So, if I see something on the 1000 tick chart while I am looking at the 50 tick chart, I can click the tab on the main screen and quickly show it so everyone can see what I am seeing.

I need to clean this room some before taking any pictures. Looks like a tornado hit it right now.

Thanked by:
 4tison 
PhuKet Island / Thailand

TradingOgre View Post
I will record it locally, then edit it down some and post to YouTube after I am done trading. I may do a live stream sometime in the future but right now I think it would be too distracting for me.

I will give as much detail as I can tomorrow as to how I trade but I do plan on doing a very detailed video in the future. I will basically be thinking out loud.

On my main screen that I will record I have all the same charts I have on the other screens just in tab form. So, if I see something on the 1000 tick chart while I am looking at the 50 tick chart, I can click the tab on the main screen and quickly show it so everyone can see what I am seeing.

I need to clean this room some before taking any pictures. Looks like a tornado hit it right now.

Would you also feel comfortable to show
your right hand side of your trading screen,
as we watch and listen along?

Thx for sharing.

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

blb014 View Post
How did you feel being down 20% on that 1000tick trade? NQ retrace -10pts before moving up, Wouldn't that stopped you out?

Technically I wasn't down 20%. I had a trade earlier in the morning that put me up by $170. 10 points would have only put me -30 on the initial balance. I used the early morning trade as a buffer for the more volatile time during US session. It came within about 1-2 ticks of taking me out.

As crazy as the markets are right now, you have to be prepared for some drawdown during the US session. There is more in the account than 1k. I am only trading it like there is 1k in it. If the balance drops too low I will "add" some from the reserve and make a note of it.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 12, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts