NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Pro's and Con's: Adding to losers / Dollar Cost Averaging

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Rrrracer with 10 posts (35 thanks)
    2. looks_two MiniP with 8 posts (12 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 7 posts (46 thanks)
    4. looks_4 phantomtrader with 5 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 6.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two xplorer with 5.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 3.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 phantomtrader with 3.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 11,869 views
    2. thumb_up 239 thanks given
    3. group 24 followers
    1. forum 66 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Pro's and Con's: Adding to losers / Dollar Cost Averaging

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,511
Thanks Received: 15,436

silver99 View Post

Beneficial lessons that I have learned from my time in TSJ and FIO:

1.) If it fits your strategy, take the trade, don't hesitate.
2.) Never be afraid to learn something new, or at a minimum to give it a look-see/try.
3.) Life and trading is a journey, enjoy the ride.

Newt

Some great and very wise points Newt, good to see you posting!

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Strategy stop orders partially filled
EasyLanguage Programming
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,527
Thanks Received: 26,292

phantomtrader View Post
I agree. Even if you're an experienced trader, you can't know when the market is just going to blast you out of your position. And as TWDsje said, if it rapidly turns into a trend day, how much are you willing to lose before you believe what your eyes are telling you? Simple motto: Trust no one. Trust nothing. In, out, get it done, shut it down.

This is my preference as well. But that's just me.

One thing to add here is that scaling in is not only done in range or non-trending days. In the spoos thread I referred to above, the ES was in a crazy-strong bull market for much of that time, and most days were large (up)-trend days. The guys who were successfully trading in this thread at that time basically would just assume an uptrend was more likely, and if price went down they figured it was a good opportunity to get into the trend at a lower point.

I have always thought that part of their success was not (only) being good traders, but also that ES was giving the same type of opportunity most days, and they were observant enough to see it and pile on. They piled on if it advanced, by scaling in as it rose, and they piled on if it dropped by scaling in on the decline. They just wanted to be long and hold on, basically, and the scaling-in part, whether with or against the trend, was just about making sure they got their positions laid on at a good price.

I don't know how well this strategy would work as an all-the-time thing (yes I do, and we know it wouldn't do well at all ).... but that was then, and it fit the action of the market at the time, which is what you want to do.

There were other threads, at the same time, where traders would be fading the advance, because they just knew "It can't go any farther...." and they were the ones who got creamed.

This is not to say that @Big Mike and the others didn't change their style and adapt to more rangy conditions when the market changed. They did, which is what good traders do. They generally still scaled in and out, but without the assumption of a continual bull market. They became more range traders, and still scaled.

So we have these and other examples of successful scaling in both ranging and trending conditions, but only by a very few traders. This is why I would not say that it "is" or "is not" a good strategy in an absolute sense, for everyone in all conditions. Some can do it, some can't. Some don't adapt to changing conditions, some do. Some just prefer less complication in their trading. But I believe that experience has shown that scaling in, especially in a losing trade, is very hard to do well in most circumstances, for most traders.

Bob.

silver99 
Mineola, TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Dorman
Trading: CL & ES
Thanks Given: 3,649
Thanks Received: 4,206

bobwest View Post
But I believe that experience has shown that scaling in, especially in a losing trade, is very hard to do well in most circumstances, for most traders. Bob.

Absolutely true Bob, well said.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Grantx 
Reading UK
Legendary no drama Llama

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 2,826
Thanks Received: 5,059

phantomtrader View Post
I agree. Even if you're an experienced trader, you can't know when the market is just going to blast you out of your position. And as TWDsje said, if it rapidly turns into a trend day, how much are you willing to lose before you believe what your eyes are telling you? Simple motto: Trust no one. Trust nothing. In, out, get it done, shut it down.

Thats fear talk. The market tends to be relatively consistent and if you cannot handle the average daily range then something is wrong.
I think at the very least you should anticipate possible extremes for the day based on prior days movements. You do get outliers but those tend to coincide with major news events and if you are not aware of these, you will get blindsided a lot and so sad for you but you only have yourself to blame.

I also dont understand why you have to believe something before you make the decision to cut a loser? I just dont get this, if you planned your trade then the decision to exit already exists in the form of a stop order. Its one thing to call yourself a discretionary trader but another beast entirely If you think you can keep it together and think rationally whilst the market tears another one for you. The answer? Plan the damn trade. Its not about belief or trust or whatever.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

Grantx View Post
Thats fear talk. The market tends to be relatively consistent and if you cannot handle the average daily range then something is wrong.
I think at the very least you should anticipate possible extremes for the day based on prior days movements. You do get outliers but those tend to coincide with major news events and if you are not aware of these, you will get blindsided a lot and so sad for you but you only have yourself to blame.

I also dont understand why you have to believe something before you make the decision to cut a loser? I just dont get this, if you planned your trade then the decision to exit already exists in the form of a stop order. Its one thing to call yourself a discretionary trader but another beast entirely If you think you can keep it together and think rationally whilst the market tears another one for you. The answer? Plan the damn trade. Its not about belief or trust or whatever.

but the plan doesn't always go to plan and if you get signaled out then get out.. you cannot plan for everything before, sometimes you need to roll with the punches a little bit.

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Thanked by:
 Grantx 
Reading UK
Legendary no drama Llama

Thanks Given: 2,826
Thanks Received: 5,059

MiniP View Post
but the plan doesn't always go to plan and if you get signaled out then get out.. you cannot plan for everything before, sometimes you need to roll with the punches a little bit.

-P

You absolutely can plan for everything prior to taking on a trade and that is what your stop and target are for. The only thing you have no control over is where Mr Market is going to go but so what, you have control of everything else that you do. Rolling with the punches means what exactly to you? Sitting agonising over what to do when your trade goes underwater is a poor strategy because that kind of stress compounds over time and you will wear yourself out and start talking, thinking, and acting scared. You know what happens when youre scared right? The market gets you. Every time.

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

Grantx View Post
You absolutely can plan for everything prior to taking on a trade and that is what your stop and target are for. The only thing you have no control over is where Mr Market is going to go but so what, you have control of everything else that you do. Rolling with the punches means what exactly to you? Sitting agonising over what to do when your trade goes underwater is a poor strategy because that kind of stress compounds over time and you will wear yourself out and start talking, thinking, and acting scared. You know what happens when youre scared right? The market gets you. Every time.

you can plan for most events ill give you that but the thing is you have no idea what the market is going to do BUT lets say trump stain tweets about jobs or something like that ... you can't plan for that , that is a random event so are you either going to ride the loss or get out with a loss of a few bucks when the tides turn. Now I believe we have different approaches to trading and If i remember from your journal yours is more of a HTF trader . Now I on the other hand am more of a short term trader so the whips and things like that are not something I normally endure... signaled out before the t/p then GTFO... now if I went back to a HTF daily/4hr charts like I use to then yes I would not pay attention as much to these events and have more of a set and forget that it sounds like you have.... if your under water who cars if you truly trust your edge you will know that over time it has shown you come out on top so you roll with the punches.

Also there and mainly different signals out.. ema changes, start making HH/HL if im short, large engulfing bars DB, DT's FBO's. you can account for some ex in a trend price moves down and DB's/ranges for 30 minutes this could be a sign to jump ship. kinda like the NQ right now we DB'd then p/b to about the 50% of the open move down we could of shorted this but after being supported 3 times it would be wise to close that short and I did .. my t/p was another 10 pts away from the bottom but signs like this normally show a trend change or at least a large p/b that isn't a part of my plan.

but to each there own I can see your system and it does work... once I start back up with HTF's I will have a similar approach to a certain degree.

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,511
Thanks Received: 15,436

bobwest View Post
I think that in this discussion we should not lose sight of the fact that, if you just automatically double down every time you have a loss, you're crazy, and soon out of business.

Nor of the fact that some traders can scale in on a loss and do it well, but not automatically and not foolishly. There are several years of posting on the spoos thread where such traders as tigertrader and @Big Mike consistently added to positions when price went against them, and also stopped and bailed out when it went far enough that they clearly were wrong on the trade, according to criteria that they were clear about when the trade started. Although this was a few years ago and the thread is now dead, it was an education at the time. (If anyone has not looked at it, it starts here: . Be warned it covers many years and is mostly just trades being posted, so it's not light reading. )

That said, I am never going to do it, having learned the lesson early and expensively.

But there is more than one way to successfully trade. Also, more than one way to lose everything.

I think we have seen examples of every conceivable strategy done poorly, and a few examples of them being done well (some of them anyway. )

Bob.

Hi Bob

I agree with all of that. In fact, I don't believe anybody would dispute any of it.

To me, it goes back to experience. What I mean by 'experience' is all of the skills that go to make up a successful trader, including mental skills, analytical skills, execution skills, and so on, including a hefty live track record. Mike, Inletcap and other experienced traders can probably count live trades under their belt in the thousands if not in the tens of thousands.

That's not to say that each and every time they averaged down they were successful, that much to me is obvious.

Is averaging down appropriate for all traders? Probably not. Nor is it something that, as you correctly pointed out, should be done blindly. But in my view, those who average down blindly do so out of... wait for it.... inexperience, that is, they have yet not (b)reached that threshold I mentioned a few posts back. Again, I want to stress, this is in the context of a trader who has determined that averaging down should be part of their trading strategy and I repeat, it is not necessarily something for everybody.

Thanked by:

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 990

Grantx View Post

I'm a trader, not a crystal ball operator. Remember the old saying: "The best laid plans of mice and men......"

The only evidence that a particular strategy/setup is viable is the history of your own trades. That is your probability function. The rest is all garbage IMO.

teamtc247 
Fairburn, Georgia

Thanks Given: 644
Thanks Received: 1,116

I only trade setups that are high probability, so no scaling in at least at this time. I can see how scaling could be good. For instance, if you felt it could get another push higher/lower and you wanted to take the trade knowing that, or if there is more risk going into the trade and you want to reduce your risk.That gets more into trade management though, and how to manage a trade. I would say you should only add to a losing trade if you know for certain that you just got it a bit early, but if you got it early you should really work on your timing. I believe the market is more certain than random, at least how I trade lol

Process oriented goals #1.
Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 17, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts