NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Attack of the Robots - An Algo Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one vmodus with 357 posts (859 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 38 posts (84 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 27 posts (70 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 13 posts (53 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 4.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 vmodus with 2.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 2.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 94,307 views
    2. thumb_up 1,141 thanks given
    3. group 61 followers
    1. forum 478 posts
    2. attach_file 181 attachments

Search this Thread

Attack of the Robots - An Algo Journal

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

jburke75 View Post
that was my first thought as well being a small time player I need low contract size for the time being. KJD is a heavy hitter so he cares more about liquidity and tradability.

For me, it makes sense to work with contracts with lower margin requirements, particularly if they are working well with my strategies. The benefit here is in the ability to have diversification in my portfolio. Example, this week on a strategy that I'm incubating:
  • FX: +133
  • Metal: -1044
  • Energy: +6609

Last week, same strategy with same instruments and parameters:
  • FX: +1396
  • Metal: +1638
  • Energy: +2739
Just trading the metals contract (in this case Copper HG), would have been discouraging, but with a balanced portfolio and $11,800 in margin, the past two weeks were okay. Compare that margin to $12,000 for a single ES contract, and it's a pretty easy choice for me. My equity curve gets smoothed in a big way.

~vmodus

Enjoy everything!
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

I have been mulling this journal for the past week and I think I am going to put it to rest soon. It occurred to me that my journals were starting to look more and more like blog entries, and if I'm doing that, I might as well blog. Generally this journal has been my brain dump, but it is usually incomplete due to the fact that I won't share some of the finer details (e.g. proprietary code, etc.). I have a measure of time in every day and in this life, and I need more time to do some of the other things. Mainly, I have a ton of trading ideas to try to code and I am really behind on those, plus other stuff.

I have at least one more entry before I close this out, specifically with the strategies I have been incubating and how they performed over election week until today. After that, a blog is a real possibility, as I really enjoy writing about these algo adventures. Anyhow, there are one or two more entries that I will post, and I will be around FIO daily as I enjoy being in an online community of peers.

~vmodus

Enjoy everything!
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

I purposely stayed out of the market during election week, but I kept incubating the strategy that I've been journaling about these past few weeks. I wanted to see what 6 trading days would look like, had I traded it (Monday before US Election Day to Monday after US Election Day).

Below are the totals for the past three weeks, with Week 3 being Election Week+1 day:

Analysis:
Profit factor for my energy contract (RB) took a beating in week 3, just due to the volatility. Yesterday was a $2k+ day, so it definitely boosted a torrid week for this strategy and instrument. My metal contract (HG) continued to struggle, though I suspected as much based on my backtest data. FX (EC) did well with this strategy. Out of the three, FX was easiest to trade, as I used 60 minute charts and ended up with 26 trades over 16 trading days.

My main objective, aside from purely incubating the strategies, was to see how well these three would work together as a diversified group. I will be doing some longer time horizons to see how well they would work over an extended period. As with week 2's analysis, my takeaway is that some diversification, even on a smaller scale, could prove to be important.

Which brings me to a counterpoint argument against diversification. I was listening to Jack Schwager last night on the Top Traders Unplugged podcast (https://www.toptradersunplugged.com/113-the-systematic-investor-series-ft-jack-schwager-november-9th-2020/), of Market Wizards book series fame, and he was asked about how market wizards view diversification. He cited one market wizard who believes diversification is a bad thing. There are a lot of opinions on diversification, over-diversification, and no diversification. For me, I think a moderate amount of diversification will be ideal to help smooth my portfolio's equity curve.

But then again....I'm no market wizard. Yet.

Anyhow, I'll have one more post to shut down this journal. Until then, stay safe and trade well!

~vmodus

Enjoy everything!
Thanked by:

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

So here is my last entry to this journal, at least for now and maybe forever. It has been a good run, almost 19 months and I don't know how many entries. I started this journey with VX futures and made my way from there. The algo journey continues, but I just need more time and I realize how much time journaling takes. I would much rather answer the occasional question and join other discussions around here. I still have kids who are home 3 days a week for schooling and other responsibilities, so time is becoming a very precious commodity.

I am strongly considering starting a blog, since I enjoy the writing part of the process and I can probably get myself into a rhythm and schedule required for such an endeavor. Loving futures trading helps a lot. I have domains and I have enough blogging experience to where this would be easy. I will decide if and when I do this, over the next couple weeks, as I start to align my other priorities and get organized.

Anyhow, I will be here daily, just check out other's journals. I give a shout-out to everyone who has read my journal and helped me in so many ways, including: @bobwest , @kevinkdog , @SMCJB , @snax , @Big Mike (for making FIO possible), my wife who lurks here on occasion and shall remain nameless (love you sweetie!) and all the rest. Thanks a million!

vmodus . . . out.

~vmodus

Enjoy everything!
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,360

It has been great to watch your progress!!!

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,526
Thanks Received: 26,292

vmodus View Post
So here is my last entry to this journal, at least for now and maybe forever.
vmodus . . . out.

Sorry to read this, as I, and many others, have enjoyed and profited from your journal.

I do understand journal fatigue. Frankly, I understand general forum posting fatigue , although it does have its good points.

Whatever you decide to do in the future, I will look forward to it.

Good luck, and good trading.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote

snax 
Chicago, IL
Legendary Price Action Student

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Edge Clear
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 9,626
Thanks Received: 9,633

@vmodus, sounds like you plan on sticking around which is terrific news, please don't be a stranger! I've gotten a great deal of enjoyment from reading this journal, and I understand the desire to switch things up. If you start a blog, please share the link with us! I wish you great fortune on your journey, friend.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

Good luck to you @vmodus, it was a nice journal.

If you do start a blog you could always cross post it to here as long as you don't make it an advertisement/linked to your blog/self promotion.

Why aren't you going to Cleveland in April?

Thanked by:

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

SMCJB View Post
Good luck to you @vmodus, it was a nice journal.

If you do start a blog you could always cross post it to here as long as you don't make it an advertisement/linked to your blog/self promotion.

Why aren't you going to Cleveland in April?

Yeah, I won't want to sound like a shill promoting my own thing.

I still need to decide on Cleveland. My April schedule is in flux right now, but I hope to have some clarity in the next couple weeks. Which weekend are you attending? I'd like a chance to meet you in person.

~vmodus

Enjoy everything!
Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

I can do either weekend

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 31, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts