NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

VWAP for stock index futures trading?

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one JonnyBoy with 126 posts (973 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 32 posts (152 thanks)
    3. looks_3 jakobe with 23 posts (20 thanks)
    4. looks_4 joe s with 21 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one JonnyBoy with 7.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two wldman with 6.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 4.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Silvester17 with 4.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 204,785 views
    2. thumb_up 1,930 thanks given
    3. group 928 followers
    1. forum 528 posts
    2. attach_file 174 attachments

Search this Thread

VWAP for stock index futures trading?

JonnyBoy 
Montreal, Quebec

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Kinetick
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 706
Thanks Received: 3,858

Yan Vas View Post
Thank you Jonny Boy! Either I don't see the differrence, or we have different VWAP.

Sorry, I am not seeing your point here? Can you expand please?

--------------------------------------------------------
- Trade what you see. Invest in what you believe -
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Yan Vas 
Anapa, Russia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TigerTrade
Trading: Emini ES, Curde CL
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 6

JonnyBoy View Post
Sorry, I am not seeing your point here? Can you expand please?

I did not understand correctly. I thought that you have a building
VWAP and SD depends on the selected Tick value, namely 987. But after reading your message in more detail, I realized that this is not so.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 yoyotrader1 
COLUMBIA, SC USA

Platform: Tradestation
Trading: emini
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 17

Can you elaborate what you mean by the next level? I am kind of on the same path .

I don't have ninja trader. Any resources for the relative beginner how to maximize use of VWAP (I know what it is, not THAT beginner).

Maizietrader View Post
@JonnyBoy, I am always around reading and learning here –thank you @Big Mike. VWAP is big part of my trading and I was trying to articulate it more (e.g dividing the day and targets into VWAP units) and you have just took it to a different level and opened my eye to a truly amazing way of looking at all that. Thank you for sharing your hard earned knowledge.

Thanked by:

JonnyBoy 
Montreal, Quebec

Experience: Advanced
Broker: Kinetick
Thanks Given: 706
Thanks Received: 3,858

yoyotrader1 View Post
Can you elaborate what you mean by the next level? I am kind of on the same path .

I don't have ninja trader. Any resources for the relative beginner how to maximize use of VWAP (I know what it is, not THAT beginner).

There is plenty of information within this thread. NinjaTrader isn't a pre-requisite to be able to learn VWAP setups. You just need to put in the inordinate amount time it takes to recognise them live, know when NOT to take them and learn when to leave profits to run. This thread is a BIG step in that direction already.

- Trade what you see. Invest in what you believe -
Thanked by:

drinkurmilkshake 
VA/USA

Experience: Intermediate
Trading: NQ, YM, RTY, ES
Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Received: 68

(pasted screenshot)

I took the liberty of modifying the relevant template VWAPs from RTH to ETH. My screenshot juxtaposes an NQ RTH VWAP chart on top and an ETH VWAP chart of NQ on the bottom.

I'm going to play around with trading these two to look for additional entries and potential confirmation. The screenshot covers roughly 6:45 AM EST to 12:45 EST, and you can see there are TONS of valid VWAP-related entries on the ETH chart (many with little draw down.

The problem with trading the VWAP based off RTH is the limited time frame. It takes hours for the bands to develop to the point where there is a significant gulf between different SD values. I think in the context of a series, this makes the ETH bands more statistically actionable since they started building @ 1700 EST (5:00 PM EST) the previous day. By 6:45 AM EST, I have almost 9 hours worth of data. That's more than the entire RTH trading period.

I'm going to dig into this more, but my hypothesis is that the VWAP setups on the ETH chart have a higher success rate than RTH, along with more opportunities. I'm using the same parameters, entries, SLs and TPs as the RTH setups. If both charts VWAPs are valid, there's no reason in my mind not to trade them both to potentially hit daily goal or nut faster.

Thanked by:
 eminiestrader 
Taguig City, Metro Manila, Philippines

Experience: Master
Platform: Ninja Trader
Trading: Emini ES, Micro Emini ES
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 1

JonnyBoy, thank you much for the meticulous and informative post! I incorporated your template with the strat that I currently trade and it works wonders! I also use it on MES during the overnight session (ETH) to swing trade the MES. Here is the chart I use for ES during the RTH.
Thank you again!

(pasted screenshot)

Thanked by:

Maizietrader 
New York, NY/USA

Platform: Sierra Chart
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 19

yoyotrader1 View Post

I use Sierra Charts which I love. Tried many platforms and this one stands out for me.

What I mean by next level is how @JonnyBoy explained in details action around the bands. I came across a VWAP band by chance. I wanted to make the VWAP big so I added 0.2 band around it to just see it and to remind myself how the day is moving. I then noticed that this band has some interesting dynamics. I never thought that these bands should also be considered around 1VWAP and 2VAWP which I use. I also use VWAP unites as initial target/stop and adjust from there (a VWAP unit is the value of 1STD)

What @JonnyBoy explained here is such a gift. As he said you need to put in the hours , it takes long time to recognize the move when it is happening (not after it happened)

Sent from my iPhone using NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:
 yoyotrader1 
COLUMBIA, SC USA

Platform: Tradestation
Trading: emini
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 17

Maizietrader View Post
I use Sierra Charts which I love. Tried many platforms and this one stands out for me.

What I mean by next level is how @JonnyBoy explained in details action around the bands. I came across a VWAP band by chance. I wanted to make the VWAP big so I added 0.2 band around it to just see it and to remind myself how the day is moving. I then noticed that this band has some interesting dynamics. I never thought that these bands should also be considered around 1VWAP and 2VAWP which I use. I also use VWAP unites as initial target/stop and adjust from there (a VWAP unit is the value of 1STD)

What @JonnyBoy explained here is such a gift. As he said you need to put in the hours , it takes long time to recognize the move when it is happening (not after it happened)

I am absolutely in it full time, and am putting a LOT of hours in it. The reason I was asking - is that I did not want to put in those hours in the wrong direction.
I am a big fan of 10,000 hours book and approach, but if you beat it against the wrong wall - no good for anyway.
You are correct, seemingly simple, but @JonnyBoy advice is indeed priceless. P.S. Already bought the Ninja trader too as seems like many people use and refer to examples from it here...

Thanked by:

Oriole 
Naples FLA

Platform: Ninja Trader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader
Trading: Currency Futures, RTY, ES, NQ
Thanks Given: 202
Thanks Received: 72

Kris and Harry (Fat Tails) have Lizard which has a great standard VWAP and a kick-ass premium VWAP. You have to pay a nominal fee for all their library indicators but they keep them updated and they offer so much value. These gentlemen are amongst the most stand up folks that I've come across in my trading career.

https://www.lizardindicators.com/indicator-library-2/session-tools/

https://www.lizardindicators.com/

Thanked by:

Maizietrader 
New York, NY/USA

Platform: Sierra Chart
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 19

yoyotrader1 View Post
I am absolutely in it full time, and am putting a LOT of hours in it. The reason I was asking - is that I did not want to put in those hours in the wrong direction.

I am a big fan of 10,000 hours book and approach, but if you beat it against the wrong wall - no good for anyway.

You are correct, seemingly simple, but @JonnyBoy advice is indeed priceless. P.S. Already bought the Ninja trader too as seems like many people use and refer to examples from it here...

I really wish that it was easy. The right direction is never clear. Depends on personality, type of trading , — etc). I have been down too many wrong paths and I still stumble a lot to find the “right way”. BigMike advised (not sure when) that it might be a good idea to really focus on one market. Even if you change directions, you will develop a sense for that market. Good Luck

Last Updated on June 27, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts