NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

VWAP for stock index futures trading?

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one JonnyBoy with 126 posts (973 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 32 posts (152 thanks)
    3. looks_3 jakobe with 23 posts (20 thanks)
    4. looks_4 joe s with 21 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one JonnyBoy with 7.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two wldman with 6.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 4.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Silvester17 with 4.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 204,020 views
    2. thumb_up 1,930 thanks given
    3. group 928 followers
    1. forum 528 posts
    2. attach_file 174 attachments

Search this Thread

VWAP for stock index futures trading?

michaelleemoore 
Missoula, MT Nɫʔay(ccstm)
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL, ES
Thanks Given: 5,552
Thanks Received: 12,328

JonnyBoy View Post
Instead of writing word salad, how about you contribute constructively by actually reading the thread and posting some detailed quantitative reasoning as to why VWAP is the pipe dream you say it is.

I am always interested in opposite views to my own...that is how I slaughter sheep on a daily basis after all. However, making a post without providing a rationale to back up your statements are meaningless.

If your goal is to write disrupter posts in this thread (and others) and that is your sole reasoning to actually make any kind of post at all, then this forum probably isn't for you.

Thanks for this, Jonny. I and others have tried to stop this guy from treating pretty much everyone like crap, but thus far to no avail. Appreciate the effort.

mlm

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities

MiamiTrader 
Miami FL/US

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 35

JonnyBoy View Post
Instead of writing word salad, how about you contribute constructively by actually reading the thread and posting some detailed quantitative reasoning as to why VWAP is the pipe dream you say it is.

I am always interested in opposite views to my own...that is how I slaughter sheep on a daily basis after all. However, making a post without providing a rationale to back up your statements are meaningless.

If your goal is to write disrupter posts in this thread (and others) and that is your sole reasoning to actually make any kind of post at all, then this forum probably isn't for you.

JB, he said it himself. He didn't read the entire thread so I doubt you're going to get anything constructive out of him as he has no idea what has been discussed. He's placed judgement solely based on the title of the thread.

jamrock 
tampa florida

I said i was not bashing vwap as an indicator and i personally do not use it but if an indicator helps make you profitable then use it how you need to use it and that is all. If i was going to use vwap i would probably compare and use vwap from an index or a correlated stock and use that vwap with the other symbols swap and when both vwaps are x amount away from each other i would probably say hmmm. this seems unusual i wonder if these vwaps will get back in line with each other or I would get to know the vwap on multiple time frames for an index and watch vwap on other symbols and look to make trades that way where in the past if x happens then x should happen again. this is basic probability or you could take it a step further and use an anchored vwap and make comparisons from that and look for extremes or when they move together.

just taking a basic indicator and throwing it on a chart and saying well when it gets above here and below here i buy it and sell it see look how great it worked in the past. you need something with anticipation and thats why i dont need to read this thread from frotn to back. I read more of it than i planned to and it is already more of the same typically in the box thinking by retail traders who think it is all just overlaying an indicator.

I would be excited if once in 20 years i could someone doing somethign exciting with vwap or any of the indicators but most seem to settle for actually believing that trading is just that simple when the reality is that it takes someon who is smart very smart and willing to put dollars on the line when no one else wants too or they think it is dumb.

I never once said vwap was a bad indicator. have a nice night

jamrock 
tampa florida

jamrock View Post
I said i was not bashing vwap as an indicator and i personally do not use it but if an indicator helps make you profitable then use it how you need to use it and that is all. If i was going to use vwap i would probably compare and use vwap from an index or a correlated stock and use that vwap with the other symbols swap and when both vwaps are x amount away from each other i would probably say hmmm. this seems unusual i wonder if these vwaps will get back in line with each other or I would get to know the vwap on multiple time frames for an index and watch vwap on other symbols and look to make trades that way where in the past if x happens then x should happen again. this is basic probability or you could take it a step further and use an anchored vwap and make comparisons from that and look for extremes or when they move together.

just taking a basic indicator and throwing it on a chart and saying well when it gets above here and below here i buy it and sell it see look how great it worked in the past. you need something with anticipation and thats why i dont need to read this thread from frotn to back. I read more of it than i planned to and it is already more of the same typically in the box thinking by retail traders who think it is all just overlaying an indicator.

I would be excited if once in 20 years i could someone doing somethign exciting with vwap or any of the indicators but most seem to settle for actually believing that trading is just that simple when the reality is that it takes someon who is smart very smart and willing to put dollars on the line when no one else wants too or they think it is dumb.

I never once said vwap was a bad indicator. have a nice night

you could pick a symbol say aapl and every day at 10 am if the nadsdaq is positive and apple is positive what ahppens with price vs vwap at 10 am? if apple is negative and nq is positive what ahppens with vwap at 10 am ? use this kind of stuff in order to start to get to know the mkt and how it behaves over and over again instead of slapping some bands over price and saying why is this happening? because you have absolutely no baseline do you?

im short a 2 lot dow futures minin at 27661 now

JonnyBoy 
Montreal, Quebec

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Kinetick
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 706
Thanks Received: 3,858

MiamiTrader View Post
Did you even read the entire thread?

jamrock View Post
of course not because it is using VWAP to try and make consistent profits

jamrock View Post
you could pick a symbol say aapl and every day at 10 am if the nadsdaq is positive and apple is positive what ahppens with price vs vwap at 10 am? if apple is negative and nq is positive what ahppens with vwap at 10 am ? use this kind of stuff in order to start to get to know the mkt and how it behaves over and over again instead of slapping some bands over price and saying why is this happening? because you have absolutely no baseline do you?

im short a 2 lot dow futures minin at 27661 now

It is crystal clear that you haven’t read the thread and stated as such yourself. So, to use your terminology you have no baseline to discuss it. As I said, I am open to contrary ideas to mine. However, your understanding of VWAP and how or why positions are (or not) executed at VWAP/SDs is limited. This is being hindered by your refusal to contextualize your responses to the discussions that have already taken place.

In a prior post you stated.

“…or I would get to know the vwap on multiple time frames for an index…”

But of course the VWAP value of an index will be the same no matter the time frame. This is a clear misunderstanding of what VWAP is and how it is calculated and used.

Having read some of your posts in other threads, it is apparent that you have no real interest in having rational discussion about any topic. Your intent appears to be to provoke and not provide.

Why not start a trading journal and show us how you trade and what you look for? Truly, if everybody else has this wrong and you have it right I am open to learning something new. Failing that, tell me why I shouldn’t be using VWAP.

Tell me why using a price-volume model is incorrect. I don’t mean a few throw away statements, I mean give me something I can have some soak time on and respond accordingly. Use charts, time & sales, liquidity assumptions, volume variability assumptions, competitive ratios…literally anything that will provoke fruitful discussion as opposed to souring it.

--------------------------------------------------------
- Trade what you see. Invest in what you believe -
--------------------------------------------------------
 jamrock 
tampa florida

JonnyBoy View Post
It is crystal clear that you haven’t read the thread and stated as such yourself. So, to use your terminology you have no baseline to discuss it. As I said, I am open to contrary ideas to mine. However, your understanding of VWAP and how or why positions are (or not) executed at VWAP/SDs is limited. This is being hindered by your refusal to contextualize your responses to the discussions that have already taken place.

In a prior post you stated.

“…or I would get to know the vwap on multiple time frames for an index…”

But of course the VWAP value of an index will be the same no matter the time frame. This is a clear misunderstanding of what VWAP is and how it is calculated and used.

Having read some of your posts in other threads, it is apparent that you have no real interest in having rational discussion about any topic. Your intent appears to be to provoke and not provide.

Why not start a trading journal and show us how you trade and what you look for? Truly, if everybody else has this wrong and you have it right I am open to learning something new. Failing that, tell me why I shouldn’t be using VWAP.

Tell me why using a price-volume model is incorrect. I don’t mean a few throw away statements, I mean give me something I can have some soak time on and respond accordingly. Use charts, time & sales, liquidity assumptions, volume variability assumptions, competitive ratios…literally anything that will provoke fruitful discussion as opposed to souring it.

i dont hve anything to prove here but you are sayign a daily bar chart 24 hours has the same vwap value as a 5 minute chart? doubtful! there is a different amount fo volume and price in a 5 min chart vs a 1 minute chart vs a monthly vs a daily not sure you actually understand how indicators work.

anyway good luck out there hope you had a great day because it sure was an easy one!

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,524
Thanks Received: 26,292

jamrock View Post
i dont hve anything to prove here but you are sayign a daily bar chart 24 hours has the same vwap value as a 5 minute chart? doubtful! there is a different amount fo volume and price in a 5 min chart vs a 1 minute chart vs a monthly vs a daily not sure you actually understand how indicators work.

Actually, yes, the way VWAP is calculated, it will have the same plot on a 1-second chart, a 1-minute chart, a 1-hour chart, or any chart. It is not dependent on the size of the bars, that is, the amount of time represented by the bars. Generally, VWAP is computed over a fixed period such as a day, and resets for the next day, but it can be computed over any span of time. Whatever span is taken, a day, a week or anything else, the plot will be exactly the same no matter what the period of the bars may be.

It is computed, strictly speaking, on a trade-by-trade basis, weighting the trades by volume ("Volume Weighted Average Price"). Since it is based on the individual trades, the strict VWAP doesn't change due to the chart's bar size. In practice, generally VWAPs are computed using the price bars and the volume associated with them, which is faster to compute than using individual trades and works out to be a close approximation of the strictly-computed VWAP. You can switch from 30-second bars to 15-minute bars and the plot of the indicator is essentially the same.

Anyone who has ever put VWAP on two charts will have seen that the values are in fact the same, no matter which chart is used. It will be the same on an hour chart or a 2-minutee chart or a tick chart or a volume bar chart or a range chart, with any bar size you choose. This is why it is a useful and important indicator -- every trader sees the same levels on any chart.

I am surprised that you are unfamiliar with this yet are expressing strong views about the use and value of the indicator, when it is what this thread is about.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote

Devil Man 
Fort Lauderdale
Legendary / Stochastic Calculus is not your friend

Experience: None
Platform: Ninjatrader, Python API
Broker: CQG
Trading: S&P, Crude, Gold
Thanks Given: 3,466
Thanks Received: 1,548

bobwest View Post
Actually, yes, the way VWAP is calculated, it will have the same plot on a 1-second chart, a 1-minute chart, a 1-hour chart, or any chart. It is not dependent on the size of the bars, that is, the amount of time represented by the bars. Generally, VWAP is computed over a fixed period such as a day, and resets for the next day, but it can be computed over any span of time. Whatever span is taken, a day, a week or anything else, the plot will be exactly the same no matter what the period of the bars may be.

It is computed, strictly speaking, on a trade-by-trade basis, weighting the trades by volume ("Volume Weighted Average Price"). Since it is based on the individual trades, the strict VWAP doesn't change due to the chart's bar size. In practice, generally VWAPs are computed using the price bars and the volume associated with them, which is faster to compute than using individual trades and works out to be a close approximation of the strictly-computed VWAP. You can switch from 30-second bars to 15-minute bars and the plot of the indicator is essentially the same.

Anyone who has ever put VWAP on two charts will have seen that the values are in fact the same, no matter which chart is used. It will be the same on an hour chart or a 2-minutee chart or a tick chart or a volume bar chart or a range chart, with any bar size you choose. This is why it is a useful and important indicator -- every trader sees the same levels on any chart.

I am surprised that you are unfamiliar with this yet are expressing strong views about the use and value of the indicator, when it is what this thread is about.

Bob.

@bobwest nicely done sir!

J

jamrock 
tampa florida

im not sure why you are surprised because as i clearly stated i dont use vwap and i never have and i dont intend on using it.

well holy crap.. i am intrigued ..lol.. ok im in to learn about it more and see what it does or how many different ways it can be applied.

I will go back and look over the "entire" thread.

thanks..lol gotta keep an open mind and i was not.

have a great night

jamrock 
tampa florida

vwap
mvwap
anchored vwap

hmmm.. interesting.

if i take the vwap of a constant volume chart am i then just getting a moving average?

Last Updated on June 27, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts