NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

VWAP for stock index futures trading?

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one JonnyBoy with 126 posts (973 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 32 posts (152 thanks)
    3. looks_3 jakobe with 23 posts (20 thanks)
    4. looks_4 joe s with 21 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one JonnyBoy with 7.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two wldman with 6.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 4.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Silvester17 with 4.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 204,288 views
    2. thumb_up 1,930 thanks given
    3. group 928 followers
    1. forum 528 posts
    2. attach_file 174 attachments

Search this Thread

VWAP for stock index futures trading?

Tuglife 
Escondido CA USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: YM
Thanks Given: 88
Thanks Received: 174

The VWAP line itself gave a couple of solid long oportunities today. If my chart is set up correctly at 1:15 and 1:25 EST the ES bounced off of main VWAP to the tick.

Unfortunately I had already ruined my day and *missed* these opportunities.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

JonnyBoy 
Montreal, Quebec

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Kinetick
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 706
Thanks Received: 3,858

Tuglife View Post
The VWAP line itself gave a couple of solid long oportunities today. If my chart is set up correctly at 1:15 and 1:25 EST the ES bounced off of main VWAP to the tick.

Unfortunately I had already ruined my day and *missed* these opportunities.

You are correct, although I was actually out of the market by that point because I had met my daily goal, ironically enough cashing in at VWAP. However, there were picture perfect VWAP TEST LONG SETUPS with virtually no heat shortly after that.

As for any missed opportunities in the market, don't sweat it. There will be lots more opportunities. The key is to ensure you stay in the game so you have a chance to play tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------
- Trade what you see. Invest in what you believe -

Tuglife 
Escondido CA USA

@JonnyBoy Do you think the VWAP has significance in the ES ETH session? I am watching it and it looks like (for tonight's session anyways) the +1SD -1SD and VWAP are predictive for quite a few swings. Again, to the tick.

Why does it always look so easy on the left side of the chart?

Thanked by:

JonnyBoy 
Montreal, Quebec

Tuglife View Post
@JonnyBoy Do you think the VWAP has significance in the ES ETH session? I am watching it and it looks like (for tonight's session anyways) the +1SD -1SD and VWAP are predictive for quite a few swings. Again, to the tick.

Why does it always look so easy on the left side of the chart?

I start my ETH VWAP at the beginning of the CME Globex session, but I only very occasionally (less than 1% of the time) put any trades on during that session regardless of how good the VWAP setups may look. The Globex session data trades based on correlated spreads and does not have the 500 stocks trading for the ES at that time.

However, I do let the OVN VWAP roll into RTH and use it as a reference point. And really that is where it ends for me. Historically, going back 5 years or so I sucked at trading the OVN session, so one of my rules was to never trade it again. The OVN ES is notoriously thin and can catch you off guard very easily as it sweeps through price levels like butter. It should be noted though, I never traded VWAP back then. So, as for the validity of the ETH VWAP and accompanying SD bands I couldn't tell you with any level of confidence as I haven't studied it.

But, when you spot reoccurring things like this, you just have to exhaust the bejesus out of it until you have looked at every possible scenario. I would start off by collecting as much data as you can and go from there.

Tuglife 
Escondido CA USA

How would I start gathering VWAP probabilities for different market conditions?

JonnyBoy 
Montreal, Quebec

Tuglife View Post
How would I start gathering VWAP probabilities for different market conditions?

Did you see my post here?

The approach below are the metrics I wanted to measure, but it may not be the same for you. Anyway, I started collecting data on:

Once you have this information, you can start to develop the probabilities of a particular VWAP setup working in your favour.

So, on an RTH open that has a gap down opening out of range with an open drive down, the probability that a VWAP TEST LONG setup reaching T1 is 23.7%* and the probability that a VWAP TEST SHORT setup reaching T1 is 84.7%* and so on.

* I completely made those percentages up, but gives you the idea of some framework in which to build around.

EDIT: If you go take a look @mtzimmer1 journal, you can see how he approaches the market. I haven't read his entire journal but he has a sound approach and is starting to incorporate some VWAP setups.

faithdefender 
Salem VA USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Oanda, NT8, TradingView
Broker: Oanda, TorS
Trading: Stocks, Currency Futures
Thanks Given: 131
Thanks Received: 119

Fascinating to read, and I mean that sincerely. I just wish I could use it for Forex. I have the VWAP you mentioned and I played around with it, but I think it looks better on the ES chart.

yoyotrader1 
COLUMBIA, SC USA

Platform: Tradestation
Trading: emini
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 17

Agree, it was amazingly spot on minus a few blips up, as at was coming down.
Any idea why it was so near-perfect? Large institutions getting on the train or what?

JonnyBoy 
Montreal, Quebec

I have been getting a ton of PM requests about this so I thought I would try to cover all bases in this post.

The XML file I attached in a previous post was an NT8 Chart Template. It isn't the VWAP indicator! However, if you are a NinjaTrader Lifetime License holder you will be able to replicate my chart exactly by loading this chart template. How does this load the actual indicator? When the chart template is loaded, it will automatically call for the Order Flow VWAP indicator, but again only if you are a NinjaTrader Lifetime License holder.

You can follow this link https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/?order_flow_plus.htm for more details.

Step 1 - download and save the XML file to the following directory. This should be the default directory where you installed NinjaTrader.

\Documents\NinjaTrader 8\templates\Chart

Step 2 - right click on your chart and select Templates > Load and select "@JonnyBoy VWAP Chart Template V2 987 Tick" from the list.

If for some reason it doesn't load and you are a NinjaTrader Lifetime License holder (perhaps you can't transfer templates with an "@" in front of them for some reason), I will gladly post the settings here. Just let me know...

EDIT: One user suggested removing the @ from the file name helped them load the chart template.

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: @JonnyBoy VWAP Chart Template V2 987 Tick.xml

lynmark1 
SoFla

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Broker: Ninja Trader/CQG
Trading: e-mini equities
Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 5

works great, I look to contributing to this forum.

JonnyBoy View Post
I have been getting a ton of PM requests about this so I thought I would try to cover all bases in this post.

The XML file I attached in a previous post was an NT8 Chart Template. It isn't the VWAP indicator! However, if you are a NinjaTrader Lifetime License holder you will be able to replicate my chart exactly by loading this chart template. How does this load the actual indicator? When the chart template is loaded, it will automatically call for the Order Flow VWAP indicator, but again only if you are a NinjaTrader Lifetime License holder.

You can follow this link https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/?order_flow_plus.htm for more details.

Step 1 - download and save the XML file to the following directory. This should be the default directory where you installed NinjaTrader.

\Documents\NinjaTrader 8\templates\Chart

Step 2 - right click on your chart and select Templates > Load and select "@JonnyBoy VWAP Chart Template V2 987 Tick" from the list.

If for some reason it doesn't load and you are a NinjaTrader Lifetime License holder (perhaps you can't transfer templates with an "@" in front of them for some reason), I will gladly post the settings here. Just let me know...

Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 27, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts