NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Doomsday senerio

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one techa with 7 posts (5 thanks)
    2. looks_two Saroj with 3 posts (6 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Grantx with 3 posts (16 thanks)
    4. looks_4 rleplae with 3 posts (9 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 12 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Grantx with 5.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 DavidHP with 4.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 addchild with 4.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 7,898 views
    2. thumb_up 109 thanks given
    3. group 31 followers
    1. forum 57 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Doomsday senerio

KillerJukeBox 
Dublin

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader, Tastytrade
Broker: Ninjatrader Brokerage, IBKR, Tastytrade,
Trading: MNQ,MES. Stocks, Stock options
Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 95

I have ninjatrader running on a VPS, and Windows Remote Desktop application installed on my phone.

Lets me manage my positions while I commute from work, and handy in emergencies , would recommend

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
use extra computer for optimisation
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

JohnKK View Post
As other traders have mentioned, I always have standing stop loss orders for a trade and for the day. In addition, I have two UPS for my two computers and an extra one for my FIOS modem which serves the whole house (available power for at least 30 minutes each). I also have a (hot spot) device that connects me with the web so that I can reach my broker over T-Mobile in case FIOS goes down in my neighborhood. Best of luck.

for your t mobile hot spot can you roll the data over every month or do you pay monthly for it. I can't seem to find a prepaid that rolls over.

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Saroj 
Arcata, CA

Trading: index futures, oil
Thanks Given: 232
Thanks Received: 415

techa View Post
That's what I was wondering. If power is out, wouldn't cell towers be down too?

Not necessarily. They aren't where I live, but NYC could be different. We get frequent outages here.

My suggestions:
1. have your cable modem and tower both plugged into your UPS
2. Have a whole house generator (mine runs off Propane and has a dedicated Propane tank). Or any generator that can be run safely outside where you can plug in your cable modem. I honestly can't see how this could be practical because the modem has to be plugged into the coax cable too, but worth exploring.
3. Have your cell phone ready to set up as a hot spot; slow, but could let you cancel out of trades.
4. Use VOIP or Cell to call broker; problem is that if NYC, their lines will be jammed.
5. Be prepared to go to a place that offers public wifi, but again, in NYC, not sure that is feasible.
6. ALWAYS HAVE DEFENSIVE STOPS IN PLACE WHEN THE TRADE IS PUT ON.

Out here maintaining an AT&T DSL line for redundancy is very expensive so not really feasible, but it might be where you live.

This risk isn't just where there is a major black out like happened earlier this month. There are many scenarios in which your trading computer could lose either a data or power connection. You have to be prepared for any of them. Like I said, defensive stops.

Thanked by:

Saroj 
Arcata, CA

DavidHP View Post
I did not keep the profits from that day but donated to a charity. It did not seem right to keep blood money.

Hi, David, long time, no speak... I always knew you were a mensch.

Thanked by:

Saroj 
Arcata, CA

TradeThatJazz View Post
I cannot believe that only a handful of replies state the obvious...

Use stops - no matter how inconvenient they may be. But, your trading software makes life easy with pre-programmed targets and stops (if you know how to use them, that is).

One click on either buy or sell is all it takes, after you program the software.

What could be easier? Good luck.

--------------------------------------------------

PS: Having a landline phone is a great idea - as long as it is not cordless. No power, no cordless phone.

some of us are just slow getting to it... of course, STOPS

Thanked by:
 cleon 
Denver, CO

Platform: TS and MD/IRT with IQFeed
Trading: ES, NQ, RUS, CL, US
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 18

backup power supply

hotspot

always have stops in place - server side

Thanked by:
dbouzas
Houston, TX

Thanks Given: 43
Thanks Received: 68

server side stop loss (stop market) is the best protection for that open position. then you have a couple of options to close it out. I recommend having 2 data feeds with at least one having a mobile app so you can access away from your desk. i think having the back up battery for your computer system and modem/router should be priority for all traders. If the problem is city wide, than the best thing you can do is protect your position when you enter it at the beginning and then you can figure out how you can manage it a little bit more comfortably later on.

Thanked by:
pstrusi
Lalin Pontevedra Spain

Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 9

techa View Post
So legit question here. In light of the NYC power outage the other day... what happens if we have positions open and something like that happens? That is an incredibly frightening thought for me as a smaller new trader (especially when I go to full contracts of ES). Also, the thought of in the future doing this full-time with the possibility of a prolonged outage causes me to shutter. Not trying to be a pessimist but it is a thought I have far too often.

Here a few suggestions that I personally follow in my automated trading system:

1. Always have your position with an emergency stoploss order in the extreme case you're not able to reach your broker

2. Have an UPS or your Notebook with batteries for a couple of hours.

3. Turn your phone as a Wifi hotspot using your data plan, and this ability might allow you to flat everything.

4. Have your trading platform placed in some VPS, or in some server that has redundancy of comms and power.

Thanked by:

Bobiz 
London,United Kingdom

Platform: NinjaTrader, TradingView
Broker: NinjaTrader/CQG
Trading: M/ES, M/NQ , SPY
Thanks Given: 39
Thanks Received: 2

Make it your policy to only trade with money that you can afford to lose,and always use protective stop (Initial Stop Loss /or Trailing Stop Loss) in all your open positions irrespective of how good you feel about your trading prowess.

Thanked by:
 4tison 
PhuKet Island / Thailand

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart NT
Broker: IB / IQFeed
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 136
Thanks Received: 53

techa View Post
So legit question here. In light of the NYC power outage the other day... what happens if we have positions open and something like that happens? That is an incredibly frightening thought for me as a smaller new trader (especially when I go to full contracts of ES). Also, the thought of in the future doing this full-time with the possibility of a prolonged outage causes me to shutter. Not trying to be a pessimist but it is a thought I have far too often.

A frightening thought nevertheless !

Traders around PacificRims face this kind of problem practically everyday.
Internet down, utilities shortage, broken optic line, heckers interruption, so on.

Whenever it happens, we use cell phone to contact brokers
in the US, Aus and UK.

But if that is not possible, then hopefully your preset stop would kick into action,
to save your positions.

If that fails, then

hopefully you are like most eschewed traders
who already have an off-set trade,
positioned to minimize loss for your initial position....;
which only few traders do....

And if that fails

who knows, you might be enormously rewarded,
or otherwise....

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 26, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts