NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

What time frame do YOU use and WHY?

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one redbarntrades with 17 posts (20 thanks)
    2. looks_two SunTrader with 10 posts (9 thanks)
    3. looks_3 67belvedere with 9 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 glennts with 6 posts (40 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one glennts with 6.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Rrrracer with 5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 3.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 redbarntrades with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 45,118 views
    2. thumb_up 209 thanks given
    3. group 244 followers
    1. forum 140 posts
    2. attach_file 20 attachments

Search this Thread

What time frame do YOU use and WHY?

Matthew2158
Salisbury, NC

Thanks Given: 9
Thanks Received: 5

This is an interesting thread and I've tinkered with many chart types and settings in my journey day trading the ES. Ultimately, I discovered that discretionary trading does not fit my personality, so I took some time off and worked to develop an automated strategy that I manually back tested and trust. Am currently backtesting and forward testing my strat in the ES.

So, the strategy works very well on the ES with 2400 tick chart in back/forward testing and decently on the ES 3M regular bar chart. However, the 3M chart doesn't give me the number of trades or profitability level as the 2400T chart. I am trying to adapt it to the Micro ES (to build up a scratch account) and having difficulty dialing in the best tick setting, since both instruments trade different volumes an appeal to different groups of traders.

Has anyone found a general rule of thumb to "scale" an ES tick chart to the Micro ES? An earlier post mentioned 900t chart on the Micro but that doesn't quite work in my scenario.

TIA,

Matthew

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
22 thanks
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
19 thanks
ApexTraderFunding.com experience and review
15 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
15 thanks
EG Indicators
11 thanks
 tr8er 
Europe
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TradeNavigator, BookMap
Trading: ES, CL, 6E, 6B
Thanks Given: 220
Thanks Received: 709

Matthew2158 View Post
This is an interesting thread and I've tinkered with many chart types and settings in my journey day trading the ES. Ultimately, I discovered that discretionary trading does not fit my personality, so I took some time off and worked to develop an automated strategy that I manually back tested and trust. Am currently backtesting and forward testing my strat in the ES.

So, the strategy works very well on the ES with 2400 tick chart in back/forward testing and decently on the ES 3M regular bar chart. However, the 3M chart doesn't give me the number of trades or profitability level as the 2400T chart. I am trying to adapt it to the Micro ES (to build up a scratch account) and having difficulty dialing in the best tick setting, since both instruments trade different volumes an appeal to different groups of traders.

Has anyone found a general rule of thumb to "scale" an ES tick chart to the Micro ES? An earlier post mentioned 900t chart on the Micro but that doesn't quite work in my scenario.

TIA,

Matthew

If I would trade micros, I always would chart the "main" instrument (in your case, I would chart the ES and trade the MES)

Thanked by:
Matthew2158
Salisbury, NC

tr8er View Post
If I would trade micros, I always would chart the "main" instrument (in your case, I would chart the ES and trade the MES)

I would like to do this, but I am not sure if that is possible using an automated strategy as it only trades on the Level 1 market (in this case Micro ES). I'm new to auto trading, so I may need to ask this elsewhere. I am using Mulitcharts.net.

WoodyFox 
Columbus, Ohio

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 196
Thanks Received: 876

Matthew2158 View Post
I would like to do this, but I am not sure if that is possible using an automated strategy as it only trades on the Level 1 market (in this case Micro ES). I'm new to auto trading, so I may need to ask this elsewhere. I am using Mulitcharts.net.

Try using a trade copier.

It will copy your ES trades (run them in Sim for your strategy) and enter them on a MES live chart.

This is also a great way to increase contracts with live ES trades on a micro scale. I have been doing this for awhile and had no issues.

I would suggest one, but I use Repikanto for Ninjatrader 8. I am Not familiar with Multicharts.

Thanked by:

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,177
Thanks Received: 6,021

Matthew2158 View Post

TIA,

Matthew

You could create a chart with 2 instruments. First, you add the MES symbol then the ES. The MES is set to use the daily, transparent and for ES you set the desired bar type and period you want to watch and set the panel to 1. This way when you open a trade, it will target the MES.

Thanked by:
Matthew2158
Salisbury, NC

trendisyourfriend View Post
You could create a chart with 2 instruments. First, you add the MES symbol then the ES. The MES is set to use the daily, transparent and for ES you set the desired bar type and period you want to watch and set the panel to 1. This way when you open a trade, it will target the MES.

@trendisyourfriend, that is a good suggestion, actually one I've tinkered with in theory when manually trading in the past. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Multicharts won't let me reassign data series numbers and the way my strategy is setup it only trades off of #1 layer data series which would be the MES "hidden" chart, although I could visually see the ES on the chart. I've asked my coder if this is something that can be programmed in MC.net, awaiting response.

Thanked by:
 striveforwisdom 
Washington D.C., United States of America

Platform: Tradovate
Broker: Tradovate
Trading: CL, MCL
Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 31

Before 9:30AM EST, I analyze the NQ 5min chart but zoomed out to see where price is relative to the past week/month and how it has acted at key levels (short-term support and resistance).

Right before/at open, I pull up the 5min chart but zoomed in to focus on price action near a key support/resistance level.

I only trade NQ and only from 9:30-10 sometimes 10:30AM max.

Bubba1
Wichita Kansas USA

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 77

I dominantly use a 5-minute chart. And, I have an additional 15-second chart for fine-tuning.

This thread question asks WHY. My reason is there are patterns in the market and I have found them in the small puzzle.

Matthew2158
Salisbury, NC

Matthew2158 View Post
@trendisyourfriend, that is a good suggestion, actually one I've tinkered with in theory when manually trading in the past. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Multicharts won't let me reassign data series numbers and the way my strategy is setup it only trades off of #1 layer data series which would be the MES "hidden" chart, although I could visually see the ES on the chart. I've asked my coder if this is something that can be programmed in MC.net, awaiting response.

I was able to map chart vs. broker symbols to the ES and MES, respectively, for the given trading account. That perfectly achieved what I was after!

MT

Thanked by:

MNSTrading 
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Experience: None
Trading: Commodities and Russell
Thanks Given: 59
Thanks Received: 336

half hour suits my needs best. My goal is to be in one trade maybe two each day. I trade four markets; Russell, gold, oil and coffee (weird i know). The way I trade, whipsaw is my number one enemy, closing times are number two. 30m is to my mind is the best compromise to overcome the 2 difficulties and maintain my sanity. Did I mention I dont like whipsaw? Here's a song about it (if you dont know)

whipsaw

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on August 14, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts