NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The HSI Index Futures Scalping Experiment

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Godzilla with 192 posts (326 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 39 posts (70 thanks)
    3. looks_3 emmett with 20 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 steve2222 with 15 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Godzilla with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 steve2222 with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 amoeba with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 62,641 views
    2. thumb_up 460 thanks given
    3. group 56 followers
    1. forum 319 posts
    2. attach_file 135 attachments

Search this Thread

The HSI Index Futures Scalping Experiment

Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Given: 43
Thanks Received: 353

amoeba View Post
Please do continue sharing your work with the other models, very interesting. It's also high on my list to do, actually my list looks very similar but I have had to put day-trading lower as business keeps me tied down (but pays the bills haha).

No worries - I know its my HSI thread but thought other traders might get some benefit from what I'm doing in the trading space outside of HSI intraday trading...I've morphed into a hybrid trader as I trade models for the retirement account and discretionary with PATS (HSI)

FYI...I've taken a lot of inspiration from Nick Radge (based at Noosa) with his approach as he has essentially automated his trading over a portfolio of models and I'm doing something similar......have a look at his website (thechartist) as you can "reverse"-engineer what he is doing from his "knowledge centre" interviews etc....good solid strategies that should last a long time. Highly recommend his book "Unholy Grails".. my LT models are replications of his best stuff, with fully disclosed back tested 20+years results. Shit I wish I was doing this 10 years earlier..would have multiples of my RE returns..Harry Hindsight as they say.

Best day of the year....kids are back to school on MONDAY!!! -

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart, Python, C#
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: MJNK, ASX, SPI
Thanks Given: 98
Thanks Received: 284

Godzilla View Post
FYI...I've taken a lot of inspiration from Nick Radge (based at Noosa)

Thanks for the link, i will check his work out. I have been building ideas around some of John Netto's stuff (https://theproteantrader.com/) his book is a good read to, The Global Macro Edge: Maximizing Return Per Unit-of-Risk.

Given business demands i will probably be putting most of my efforts towards building diversified short/mid time frame strategies as I can work on these in the evenings. Longer term, automation will be a goal too, but not as pressing when these strategies only require a few entries/exit per a week.

Keep up the discussion around that stuff, i think it is good to talk about as it is where most people would realistically benefit the most for building wealth. I view day trading as an extra opportunity to smooth out and (hopefully) expand on returns from micro-term events.

Thanked by:
Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

amoeba View Post
Thanks for the link, i will check his work out. I have been building ideas around some of John Netto's stuff (https://theproteantrader.com/) his book is a good read to, The Global Macro Edge: Maximizing Return Per Unit-of-Risk.

Given business demands i will probably be putting most of my efforts towards building diversified short/mid time frame strategies as I can work on these in the evenings. Longer term, automation will be a goal too, but not as pressing when these strategies only require a few entries/exit per a week.

Keep up the discussion around that stuff, i think it is good to talk about as it is where most people would realistically benefit the most for building wealth. I view day trading as an extra opportunity to smooth out and (hopefully) expand on returns from micro-term events.

Completely agree on the DT philosophy....its the icing but not the cake....I'd hate to be doing it for a living. 2 hours a day is about my max for screen time before I get burnt out. I think most DT's would benefit from less screen time versus more.

Global Macro...thanks for the link.

With your coding skills you should be able to automate just about anything?

emmett
New Zealand

Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Received: 21

Godzilla View Post
Completely agree on the DT philosophy....its the icing but not the cake....I'd hate to be doing it for a living. 2 hours a day is about my max for screen time before I get burnt out. I think most DT's would benefit from less screen time versus more.

Global Macro...thanks for the link.

With your coding skills you should be able to automate just about anything?

I like the idea of building up to daytrading full time, and buy "full time" I mean for a couple of hours a day. Like you, I don't think I could handle hour upon hour, day after day...

Thanked by:
 Teduardo 
Melbourne, Australia

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Phillip Nova SG, IBKR
Trading: Asian markets (HSI/MHI, N225M, K200/M)
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 3

Godzilla View Post
Trading results for May 18-22

Fri - (5/6) +60tics Very fast market today not sure why everything is moving so fast given it's a Friday which is normally slower? 1 error - late entry - if you miss it -move on for the next set-up...got greedy and paid the price.

I noticed the same. From a news perspective, on Fri China held their National People’s Congress where they announced new national security laws impacting HK hence the demonstrations you may have seen. This seems to be the catalyst for the trend day down all day Friday.

Thanked by:
Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

Teduardo View Post
I noticed the same. From a news perspective, on Fri China held their National People’s Congress where they announced new national security laws impacting HK hence the demonstrations you may have seen. This seems to be the catalyst for the trend day down all day Friday.

Yep - the news certainly drove the HSI on Friday and today actually.....almost like shooting fish-in-a-barrel as I got lucky with PATS and collected 69tics in 45minutes then turned it off....I would not want to be holding physical assets like RE in HK these days as China has moved the goal posts with the proposed security laws...imagine having China secret police watching over you living in HK...that suxs. Looks like the 50yrs of 1 country 2 systems is changing 27 years early? WTF?

So I managed to get 2000 days (8+yrs) of 5 minute intraday data for testing on the ND100 constituents as my internal BS detector didn't believe the rough (approx) results I was getting on the daily bars and after testing 20 markets the results are miserable and back to the drawing board...I honestly dont think opening range breakouts actually work anymore...the internal noise/whipsaws is a LOT bigger than you can imagine. In fact I might even reverse the signals and see what the results look like as fading the opening direction could have a lot more promise? For this model my aim is utilise the IB BasketTrader -> Bracket orders (Entry,Stoploss,Target) once the open is known with zero intraday monitoring required..

Thanked by:
 Teduardo 
Melbourne, Australia

Has anyone else noticed theres been no overnight trading on HSI or is it just me? I've checked 3 data sources and no overnight data...Double checked the exchange and no events today and contract expriy is on Thur so we're still on May contract. No news that I could find (thought maybe riots or virus went outta control?). What am I missing?

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,784
Thanks Received: 18,257

Teduardo View Post
Has anyone else noticed theres been no overnight trading on HSI or is it just me? I've checked 3 data sources and no overnight data...Double checked the exchange and no events today and contract expriy is on Thur so we're still on May contract. No news that I could find (thought maybe riots or virus went outta control?). What am I missing?

Buried at the bottom of this page:

Quoting 
On the following business day, there will be no after-hours trading session for Hang Seng Index Futures and Options, Weekly Hang Seng Index Options, Mini Hang Seng Index Futures and Options, Hang Seng China Enterprises Index Futures and Options, Weekly Hang Seng China Enterprises Index Options, Mini Hang Seng China Enterprises Index Futures and Options, Hang Seng Index (Gross Total Return Index) Futures, Hang Seng Index (Net Total Return Index) Futures, Hang Seng China Enterprises Index (Gross Total Return Index) Futures, Hang Seng China Enterprises Index (Net Total Return Index) Futures and MSCI AC Asia ex Japan Net Total Return Index Futures while the after-hours trading session for Currency Futures, USD and CNH Gold Futures, London Metal Mini Futures and Iron Ore Futures will continue as normal:
27 May 2019 (Monday) - Bank holiday in both the United Kingdom and the United States
25 May 2020 (Monday) - Bank holiday in both the United Kingdom and the United States

Teduardo 
Melbourne, Australia

Buried alright...Thanks Josh, much appreciated. Learned something new.

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,784
Thanks Received: 18,257

Godzilla View Post
as I got lucky with PATS and collected 69tics in 45minutes then turned it off

Last night I had my single best trade ever on HSI. The premise was shorts in the hole covering and profit taking from Friday's monster selloff -- I bought 22534, looking for potentially a multi-day move up, set a stop below 22500, walked away, and came back a little over 10 minutes later to a monster move. Maybe I should have left it as-is, but when I get a 400 point move in just over 15 minutes, I'm out -- I sold 22909 for almost 400 points. For the evening I wasn't really "trading" since US/EU markets were closed Monday, so it was my only trade - 10 ticks of heat, no stress, wasn't even at the screen. Unfortunately it was mini HSI and was only 1 lot, but I have never had a 400 pointer on a single contract R/T until last night. I thought we'd see a squeeze, but was expecting it to take at least the whole session, not 15 minutes.

I didn't want to share as I didn't want to sound like I was bragging but we all know a 400 point move in 15 minutes, even on HSI, falls into the "lucky" territory, even if the premise of the trade was spot on. This was on IBKR, not CQG, as it was a different account.

Last Updated on December 15, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts