NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Automating 'Market Making Scalping Manual" by Gary Norden or "NoBSDayTrading"

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one matthew28 with 13 posts (27 thanks)
    2. looks_two swisstrader321 with 8 posts (16 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SpeculatorSeth with 7 posts (11 thanks)
    4. looks_4 MichaelFlowTrader with 6 posts (10 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one GinTrader with 12 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Rupkali with 2.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 matthew28 with 2.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 swisstrader321 with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 35,778 views
    2. thumb_up 138 thanks given
    3. group 43 followers
    1. forum 71 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Automating 'Market Making Scalping Manual" by Gary Norden or "NoBSDayTrading"

Analytic 
New York NY/United States

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Multicharts, TS, TOS
Trading: Futures, Options, Stocks
Thanks Given: 73
Thanks Received: 223

Rupkali View Post
I have read this thread and it is uncomfortable. Certainly has me wondering whether or not we have been given enough to make this market making method viable; if indeed in 2020 it is viable.

I do think Gary could give some real market examples of what he is looking for regards the tools used which make for the more likely winning trades.

Gary talks about a client who only takes the strongest potential trades in the same way as only playing the strongest few hands in poker. And that client is profitable.

Showing real examples in the manual, giving more help isn't about a student trader being lazy. It is about providing a reference point, a benchmark for what is the better practice. Copying good practice is a very accepted method of learning: 'watch one, do one, teach one'.

I am not looking for a short cut; I am certainly not lazy. I know there are many hours of purposeful practice ahead. Yet I am not sure I have been given quite enough to succeed.

Gary does not show a 3rd party verified trading track record and he also doesn't do any trading in a public livestream so there is no way to know if his system is good or not.

Food for thought:

1) If it is a good trading system why is he selling it?

2) If many traders bought his system and trade with it, will it still work or has its edge been arbitraged away?

My guess is that it's not a full trading system but just some innovative non-specific Dom trading tactics and strategies

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
22 thanks
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
19 thanks
ApexTraderFunding.com experience and review
15 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
15 thanks
EG Indicators
11 thanks
Local
Toronto

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

IMO the Norden Method is more challenging to implement in modern markets. It is very much trading in the now without any bias or use of technical analaysis (including charts) and making use of a DOM/price ladder to scalp in and out of the market in seconds. The premise is to capture the randomness of markets by quickly trying to capture a couple of ticks, otherwise out instantly for a scratch or small loss (-1 tick) and leaning on 2 way price action and volatility. The math works as long as your strike rate or winning % is around 70% or higher and your R multiple is 1 or greater (the higher the better). It is very much more an art then a science and takes the proper mindset as well as lots of practise executing on a DOM. The Norden Method is an intense form of trading so works better in short bursts and the optimal number of hours in the market would not exceed a couple of hours per day before ones performance begins to suffer.

Norden recommends markets where there are more Retail Traders such as Equity indices- the main ones traded are NQ, ES and the Dax. Naz is one of the markets most suited for scalping as long as you can manage the risk and many pros are currently having success there on an intraday time frame. Spoos I find one of the tougher markets to trade as it is very efficient with too many eyes on it and much of its flows come from options and hedging activities. However, if volatility is present Spoos can be a good choice to trading in non domicile hours such as the Globex session in Asia or Europe. Dax used to be Norden's main market but the contract has not been the same since volume is now split between the big contract, the mini and the micro diluting the flows.

Norden says there are too many Pro traders in bonds and that they should generally be avoided though he says some students have had success in the long end ZB/UB due to the large tick size and higher daily range. Crude oil and gold are mentioned as 2 markets which are particularly difficult to trade using his style. Norden mentions maybe some commodity markets such as Softs could be decent but he has not personally traded them nor have any of his students had success there either. IMO Softs not a great fit as they are costly on ICE and in general do not have the necessary 2 way price action to quickly flip in and out. Ags such as the soybean complex could be a much more suited then say sugar and have consistently higher volatility.

I have had success using a similar scalping/market making approach on energy crack spreads but they are quite cost intensive and not really a market for retail- but meet some of the ideal characteristics for me which are blippy price action and wide bid ask spread. I have asked on this thread before but have not gotten much feedback regarding others currently trading his method successfully nor can much be found online of any of his students who are now very successful. I would be keen to hear any further feedback people here have on the Norden Method and ways it can be slightly tweaked for today's market conditions.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 4, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts