NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Oil price negative?

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 71 posts (168 thanks)
    2. looks_two GFIs1 with 33 posts (98 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SunTrader with 25 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 NotKenGriffin with 15 posts (10 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one GFIs1 with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 2.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bassa with 2.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 56,208 views
    2. thumb_up 501 thanks given
    3. group 246 followers
    1. forum 260 posts
    2. attach_file 16 attachments

Search this Thread

Oil price negative?

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,249
Thanks Received: 101,669

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Option : Call and Put increase at same time ?
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Pa Dax 
Netherlands
Price Action Scientist

Platform: NinjaTrader, IB TWS
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, CQG
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 2,008
Thanks Received: 6,318

Big Mike View Post

Fact that it plunged so quick to -20 makes me wonder.
I'd be laughing my pants off if it turns out that some algo's and HFT were not adapted to negative rates and traded this as if it were positive numbers.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

Pa Dax View Post
This might be a tough fight. From what I saw yesterday using IB TWS was that the charts weren't working but I still had bid and ask prices (negative). I still have them now. Their contracts and agreements on futures trading are pretty solid.
I get an e-mail from IB every time I trade a new contract that the contract description is misleading and that May expires in April. I also get a notification if I hold positions close to expiry and that IB does not support physical delivery and will close out automatically.
However, most importantly, IB wants to see that you tried everything you could to get out of this position and the audit trail of TWS will be required (does the mobile app have audit trail btw?) to see if you tried market orders, whether or not you tried calling their order desk, if you filed a mistrade request, all that. The simple fact that their application didn't work is not enough - I've seen if many times before where the app does something strange and you're not sure if you're in our out of a trade - doesn't matter.

Great points @Pa Dax and even if he is 100% in the right it will be a tough fight. This doesn't appear to be a software glitch, or a problem with an order not being handled right, this appears to be an issue where there software was intentionally* programmed not to be able to handle certain market conditions. That is negligence surely?

* Well at least they intentionally ignored messages from CME that this product had changed and would now be allowed to trade negative.

Thanked by:

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView & ZerodhaKite
Trading: NIFTY, BANKNIFTY
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 5,249
Thanks Received: 5,014

Pa Dax View Post
Fact that it plunged so quick to -20 makes me wonder.
I'd be laughing my pants off if it turns out that some algo's and HFT were not adapted to negative rates and traded this as if it were positive numbers.

Damn!

I wish I could give more than one likes for this. Just thinking about it is making me laugh like crazy

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,360

One lesson here is that retail traders run significantly more risk when they try to trade in the "after rollover, before expiration" time period. Most brokers automatically exit any such positions, not sure what IB's policy is.

Of course, dramatic moves can happen before rollover, but REALLY dramatic moves can happen right before expiration.

Edit: Just got this from Tradestation, they want people out of June too!

Valued Futures Clients:

Due to certain anomalies affecting Crude Oil Futures, trading in the front month futures for Crude Oil and Mini-Crude, CLM20 and QMM20, have been set to Liquidating Trades Only. Any positions in CLM20 and QMM20, both long and short, are subject to liquidation. Options in Crude Oil are also set to Liquidating Trading Only on the Futures Plus platform. Trading is still available in the further out months for Crude Oil and Mini-Crude outright futures contracts, but may be subject to change. We will advise when conditions change.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

So @kevinkdog is Tradestation doing a good job of being proactive or does this make them look bad?

My vote is bad. If your concerned about the risk raise margins. Say effective tonight you are going to charge 150% of exchange margins on CLM0 and QMM0 positions.

Interesting expiration day
CLK0 +4302
CLM0 -725
The Spread that dropped $51.30 yesterday is up $50.27 today! Get that wrong and it was a quick way to lose $100/barrel!

Thanked by:

Pa Dax 
Netherlands
Price Action Scientist

Platform: NinjaTrader, IB TWS
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, CQG
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 2,008
Thanks Received: 6,318

From what I read, the charting of TradeStation also didn't support negative prices?

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

SMCJB View Post
So @kevinkdog is Tradestation doing a good job of being proactive or does this make them look bad?

My vote is bad. If your concerned about the risk raise margins. Say effective tonight you are going to charge 150% of exchange margins on CLM0 and QMM0 positions.

Interesting expiration day
CLK0 +4302
CLM0 -725
The Spread that dropped $51.30 yesterday is up $50.27 today! Get that wrong and it was a quick way to lose $100/barrel!

I think they already were at 200% margin. They must have had some accounts with big exposure, and TS decided they did not want to be left holding the bag in case something really bad happens. Crazy times

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Pa Dax View Post
From what I read, the charting of TradeStation also didn't support negative prices?

I saw someone said TradingView had that issue, but Tradestation charts handled negative prices just fine...

Thanked by:
 GFIs1 
who cares
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: nobody interested
Broker: none
Trading: forget about it
Thanks Given: 6,196
Thanks Received: 15,620

kevinkdog View Post
Edit: Just got this from Tradestation, they want people out of June too!

Valued Futures Clients:

Due to certain anomalies affecting Crude Oil Futures, trading in the front month futures for Crude Oil and Mini-Crude, CLM20 and QMM20, have been set to Liquidating Trades Only. Any positions in CLM20 and QMM20, both long and short, are subject to liquidation. Options in Crude Oil are also set to Liquidating Trading Only on the Futures Plus platform. Trading is still available in the further out months for Crude Oil and Mini-Crude outright futures contracts, but may be subject to change. We will advise when conditions change.

Seems clear: the nearer to the 0-line - the less interest by the broker.
Taking money aka making money - no problem. Stuff over some lines - forget it. As always
GFIs1

PS: after the June contract is in minus it will certainly be followed by July etc.: as the musician reads
"da capo al fine" which means from the beginning again to the end - lol -

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 23, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts