NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Is anyone actually making money?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one goodoboy with 53 posts (40 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 25 posts (98 thanks)
    3. looks_3 KyronC with 24 posts (61 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Joseph Connors with 19 posts (29 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 10.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Blash with 9.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 3.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 KyronC with 2.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 115,609 views
    2. thumb_up 1,294 thanks given
    3. group 812 followers
    1. forum 398 posts
    2. attach_file 19 attachments

Search this Thread

Is anyone actually making money?

Joseph Connors 
Colorado Springs, CO USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninjatrade
Trading: Futures
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 93
Thanks Received: 106

thw333333 View Post
I can count on something north of $400k from futures trading and that does not include income from long-term positions in stocks or any other investments. Not sure if that is of any worth to your question, but I did enjoy reading this thread. I will not be showing statements, lol. I stop trading in mid June and then resume after Labor Day. My secret weapon (besides experience) is capitalization. My comfort zone is having a HUGE cushion. I trade daily at the open. Some days done in 5 minutes, some days nursing a drawdown till 10pm. I bought a vacation home on the south shore of Nova Scotia (and then Canada wouldn't let me in without vax, which I refused). I also have a home in S. Florida and one in Highlands, NC. Futures gave us the capital to go big in BTC in 2015, even though I was not nearly as consistent in my trading back then. Futures took me a LONG time to learn, but has been very good to me and my family. I love trading, but I would not love it if money were tight or I was trading to pay rent or something like that.

I cannot imagine trading on a mobile app. That would be impossible for me and very risky / foolish.

Biggest challenge: lower back pain from sitting too long.

I agree with you on capitalization being the key.

I know you don't want to get specific, but can you tell us what range is your capitalization? Just an idea of what you need to generate that income. Thanks!

Persistence! Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not ... nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not ... Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not ... The world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent!
Calvin Coolidge

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

goodoboy
Houston

Thanks Given: 344
Thanks Received: 246

Joseph Connors View Post

I know you don't want to get specific, but can you tell us what range is your capitalization? Just an idea of what you need to generate that income. Thanks!

Hello Joseph Connors,

Can I charm here on capitalization?

Trading the futures market, I would say about $100K to $500K needed for trading rather discretionary trading or systematic trading. There is no way around it, it takes alot of money in the future market to make alot money in the futures market.

Having a large capital allows me to take great risk/gamble at right times where I feel I can make alot of money on just this one bet. Then I can decrease my risk amount on certain times per plan.

If we try to trade Micros, the reward is too small for the effort. Unless aiming at big profits.

IMO, growing the account to big money is the most hardest part of trading, it is not the actual trading.

Thanked by:
 thw333333 
Jupiter Island, FL

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TOS
Broker: TOS
Thanks Given: 67
Thanks Received: 77

Joseph Connors View Post

Hi Joseph. I use way more capital than I need. That said, there is a point even in my mind when enough is enough and every single cent over that point is withdrawn to be deployed elsewhere. I have enough capital at all times to trade comfortably at least twice as many contracts as I intend to trade and for those to enter some kind of black swan draw-down event (zombie apocalypse) where I am down 50 handles or more. That has never happened. I day trade and almost never hold anything past the close. Something has gone way wrong if I am in overnight. So I am split between two brokers and keep about 300K in each one.

I'm enslaved to my comfort zones, a big one is being flat at close. I have started to get interested in trading the daily or weekly chart, but I really struggle with stress. I can put on a ton of risk intraday, but hold for a week and I become like a newbie wetting his pants.

Joseph Connors 
Colorado Springs, CO USA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninjatrade
Trading: Futures
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 93
Thanks Received: 106

thw333333 View Post
Hi Joseph. I use way more capital than I need. That said, there is a point even in my mind when enough is enough and every single cent over that point is withdrawn to be deployed elsewhere. I have enough capital at all times to trade comfortably at least twice as many contracts as I intend to trade and for those to enter some kind of black swan draw-down event (zombie apocalypse) where I am down 50 handles or more. That has never happened. I day trade and almost never hold anything past the close. Something has gone way wrong if I am in overnight. So I am split between two brokers and keep about 300K in each one.

I'm enslaved to my comfort zones, a big one is being flat at close. I have started to get interested in trading the daily or weekly chart, but I really struggle with stress. I can put on a ton of risk intraday, but hold for a week and I become like a newbie wetting his pants.

Thanks a lot for the candid response. I really appreciate it!

Persistence! Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not ... nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not ... Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not ... The world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent!
Calvin Coolidge
Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,360

kevinkdog View Post
Is that 400K annual? Curious, what kind of % return and % max drawdown do you normally have?

Hey @thw333333 not sure if you saw this post, but can you answer? It might be nice for people to calibrate themselves to some real world experience...

THANKS

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 thw333333 
Jupiter Island, FL

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TOS
Broker: TOS
Thanks Given: 67
Thanks Received: 77

Haven't tracked either one of those for a long time, though of course they are tracked by my brokers. DD varies wildly, but usually is not more than $1K per contract in any given month. There are times it has been much higher. I sometimes stay in against my rules if I have a strong belief that a better exit will present itself. Mean reversion is a factor in day trading and that affects how much DD I can tolerate. This is the reason for being well capitalized. About once a year I will find myself down 30 handles per contract. Hate those days, but know that is part of it. I am prepared for at least 50, but it hasn't come to that. The way I trade is discretionary and it works for me and my situation. It is not something others should emulate as everyone's situation is different.

At least 400K annual is what I need to keep my world afloat. Varies a lot depending on mkts, my needs, how much I am trading, scaling etc. 2020 was much higher-- covid crash and I was buying / furnishing a house. I probably shouldn't have mentioned income levels. On a whim I just responded to the guy's post who seemed frustrated.

Cloudy 
desert CA

Platform: NT7, various
Broker: various, TDA
Trading: NQ,ES
Thanks Given: 2,396
Thanks Received: 1,748

KyronC View Post
Can anyone actually prove to me that they have been consistently growing their account with futures? (ES,RTY,NQ,GC,CL) So far I'm yet to meet someone who is making money who isn't trying to sell me something :/

I've come to think it's very very few. While that chatGPT answer post some pages back said "95%" have losses , I think of that remaining 5% most of them manage to maybe break-even in their entire trading lifetimes, so that leaves so very few who are able to make actual profits over time. It's like individual sports perhaps at the highest level , possibly only a few thousand or ten thousand at best in the entire world of retail trading , maybe as low as 0.01% of the entire retail trading population any given year are able to make decent enough profits for a year, and that's not guaranteed for each year similar to a top tier individual pro sportsman career. Anything can happen in that sports career which is precarious for any given year or period, with possible injuries , or loss of confidence, loss of maintained discipline, or loss of edge, in performance, so retail trading to me seems so similar in some of those respects.

For myself I once had a 100k+ year in trading profits before covid. I haven't been able to repeat that level. There's always losers, and having to deal with being wrong and plenty of losing trades, any given day, any given week, something that the snakeoil vendors never bother to mention to the newbies that are snared every year or month into their selling dreams bogus trading teaching "businesses".

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
goodoboy
Houston

Thanks Given: 344
Thanks Received: 246

kevinkdog View Post
Hey @thw333333 not sure if you saw this post, but can you answer? It might be nice for people to calibrate themselves to some real world experience...

THANKS

Good Morning kevinkdog,

I agree Kevin. That is one thing I learned from you, Yearly Profits and Yearly Drawdown to get those profits are brothers and sisters, can not talk about one without the other.

Thanked by:
 SoonPeso7 

Profit and lost is what you accept or make excuses for in ones trading system.

Last Updated on June 20, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts