NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

All you need

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 696 posts (740 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 305 posts (117 thanks)
    3. looks_3 TheRumpledOne with 184 posts (93 thanks)
    4. looks_4 sharky with 71 posts (76 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 1.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two sharky with 1.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 TheRumpledOne with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 1,270,581 views
    2. thumb_up 1,630 thanks given
    3. group 197 followers
    1. forum 2,477 posts
    2. attach_file 535 attachments

Search this Thread

All you need

alex123 
Toronto

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninjatrader
Thanks Given: 165
Thanks Received: 133

first trade was bad, tried to buy pullback, got stopout, will never do such guessing and predetermination trade.

2 and 3 trade is OK.

done for the day.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct. 26, ES trade.PNG
Views:	318
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	3824  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

alex123 
Toronto

just pure guessing, not good, will only trade on TRO hourly buy zone later.

alex123 
Toronto

my stop loss is 4 ticks.

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: YM and CL
Thanks Given: 1,783
Thanks Received: 3,305

traderjoel View Post
Hi Jeff,

I'm taking a breather from my CL trading so I'm looking at what the others here are doing. Are you still trading the 5 mins ORB? I really like your posting on the opening range breakout. I use to trade ORB but in a different way. I would look at a bigger range, like from 7-9am. Then trade the range breakout. I stopped after a while because the stop on the other side of the range was too much.

Thats why I like your 5 minutes range for every half hour. And I also like the idea of a scalp. The problem is, for a 10 point scalp the stop on the other side of the range is too big for a good r/r.

Do you have a fixed stop of lets say if the 5 minutes range is extremely wide?

I have been sim trading the every half hour 5 minutes range and so far so good. I just wanted to know what do you do when its a big range.

Thank you.

-Joel-

Hi Joel,

You are asking the right question.......concerning stop placement.

Ultimately, you have to ask yourself.....does this work? For example.....today I had two trades where my entries turned out to be very bad.....however, my stop placement (above the swing high) was good. Yes....I took some major heat, yes, I was almost stopped out both times. But...... both trades were winners +10 each on the YM.

You have to know how much room to give the market to "breath." You also have to know your personal risk tolerance based on your account size. All this coupled with a reasonable risk/ reward

There is no short cut on this. You have to determine what works for you. What is your risk tolerance? What is too much? What is too little. Does it make sense with market volitility? Remember....the market doesn't care about your risk tolerance.

Jeff

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

cunparis 
Paris, France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,094

Jojotrader View Post
I will stop posting now, before I get some anoying posts.

See you later, have some good trades.

Win some, lose some, just try to win more...

Jojo

Hey Jojo I like your posts and the simplicity. I don't have time to study them now but I definitely will study them later when I have time.

I'm curious how many pts you got today. I imagine you did well. I made out with 3.75 total. A very good day for me.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

cunparis 
Paris, France

Jeff Castille View Post
Hi Joel,
You are asking the right question.......concerning stop placement.

I'll add in my 2 cents.

You want to put your stop where it won't get hit by noise. I'm with Jeff, I like to put it away from a swing high/low. To keep my risk low I try to enter around these swing high/lows instead of waiting for a breakout. The risk is lower that way. I go for a 1:1 ratio and then when I'm consistent with that I will start adding a 2nd contract for maybe 1.5 target : stop ratio.

Specifically for the 5min ORB I had my stop under the 1st 5min bar. It's not a good R:R but I'm going on my testing showing this has worked over the past month. My testing showed it did not work earlier in the year so this could stop working at any time. An ORB is a valid concept, but the OR period and the target & stop are things that will change with time.

I'm considering going for 5 ticks instead of 4 (I'm trading it on ES). Today it came within 1 tick of my target and I thought "oh no I should have used a 3 tick target" but I let it ride and price blew through my target and continued higher. But I'm not greedy, I'm happy with 4 ticks. I would like to get a better R:R ratio but if this has a high win rate then it's ok.

Let me know what you think about this Jeff. It's working for me.

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: YM and CL
Thanks Given: 1,783
Thanks Received: 3,305

cunparis View Post
I'll add in my 2 cents.

You want to put your stop where it won't get hit by noise. I'm with Jeff, I like to put it away from a swing high/low. To keep my risk low I try to enter around these swing high/lows instead of waiting for a breakout. The risk is lower that way. I go for a 1:1 ratio and then when I'm consistent with that I will start adding a 2nd contract for maybe 1.5 target : stop ratio.

Specifically for the 5min ORB I had my stop under the 1st 5min bar. It's not a good R:R but I'm going on my testing showing this has worked over the past month. My testing showed it did not work earlier in the year so this could stop working at any time. An ORB is a valid concept, but the OR period and the target & stop are things that will change with time.

I'm considering going for 5 ticks instead of 4 (I'm trading it on ES). Today it came within 1 tick of my target and I thought "oh no I should have used a 3 tick target" but I let it ride and price blew through my target and continued higher. But I'm not greedy, I'm happy with 4 ticks. I would like to get a better R:R ratio but if this has a high win rate then it's ok.

Let me know what you think about this Jeff. It's working for me.

Cunparis,

Thank you for doing the research.

In the last 32 trading days (current contract) the opening 5 minute trade has worked 27 times. That's a little over 84% of the time. The other 5 times that the trade did not work.....it did work at the opposite end of the first 5 minute bar.

So even the losers were able to redeem themselves if you stopped and reversed.

So are there any characteristics that a winning day has that a losing day does not have?

What I am finding is on winning days I get a signal from the Enhanced JeffsDots on the losing days I did not. So.....I am considering adding the Enhanced JeffsDots as a filter.

I have not released the Enhanced JeffsDots publicly. But I have described how it works previously for you ambitious programmers.

Jeff

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

cunparis 
Paris, France

Jeff Castille View Post
So are there any characteristics that a winning day has that a losing day does not have?

What I am finding is on winning days I get a signal from the Enhanced JeffsDots on the losing days I did not. So.....I am considering adding the Enhanced JeffsDots as a filter.

I have not released the Enhanced JeffsDots publicly. But I have described how it works previously for you ambitious programmers.

Great post Jeff. In the past I've always tried to find ways to prevent losers but I must admit than in many cases I end up like the Yale students.

Since I don't have JeffsDotsEnhanced, I will see if I can find some price or volume clues. If you're getting a dot, that means price is moving to that direction. Should be able to see it in the chart right? Let's take a look at the last 6 days and then look at a few failures before that. My analysis is written on the images.

My findings:

- If we look for additional confirmations we can potentially increase the win rate at the expense of possibly missing some good trades
- Volume Stop is not useful for the ORB. The reason is the open bar is higher volume and that will always trigger a VStop signal in the direction of the close of the 1st bar
- Volume Spike is not reliable by itself
- HVC is not reliable near the open
- PSO could possibly give an hint as to the direction
- the price movement leading up to the open could give a hint as well
- The direction of CL could give a hint
- The win rate is already 87%, do we really need to do better?

My conclusion: Works fine as is - trade like a rat. Now that I'm trading this I'll be studying it more clearly, especially the relation with Euro & CL which are all correlated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20091026 ES ORB Analysis.png
Views:	263
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	3846   Click image for larger version

Name:	20091023 ES ORB Analysis.png
Views:	221
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	3847   Click image for larger version

Name:	20091022 ES ORB Analysis.png
Views:	216
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	3848   Click image for larger version

Name:	20091021 ES ORB Analysis.png
Views:	203
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	3849   Click image for larger version

Name:	20091019 ES ORB Analysis.png
Views:	182
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	3851   Click image for larger version

Name:	20091013 ES ORB Analysis.png
Views:	178
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	3852   Click image for larger version

Name:	20091012 ES ORB Analysis.png
Views:	191
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	3853  
Thanked by:

Alinghy 
Monaco - Montecarlo

Platform: NT8
Trading: ES 6E ZB YM
Thanks Given: 263
Thanks Received: 59

Hi CUNPARIS,

really appreciate your analysis. May I ask you, please, for the future, to drive your comments in the charts with some arrows to the specific subjects involved ?
Your comments are clear and substantial but for people like me, beginners, could be very useful can exactly focus any subject involved in the analyzed part of the chart.

The point, after giving a look to all pages of this valuable thread, and also to the other threads, is the most difficult, as I can understand, to avoid the remaing part of wrong signals,
but this could signify to reach the excellence (giving as consolidated the very best manual operation capability buy / sell / cancelling an order buy / selling the same price entered and so on, with extreme good and professional picking of time, etc ....): this could be a very hard challenge or the Holy Grail ?

Thanks so much for your efforts and of all the people here involved, I am sure that all this brain-storming will generate success, as normally happens
when the human brains are involved together for a good target.

regards
Alinghy

cunparis 
Paris, France

Alinghy View Post
Hi CUNPARIS,

really appreciate your analysis. May I ask you, please, to drive your comments in the charts with some arrows to the specific subject ?
Your comments are clear and substantial but for people like me, beginners, could be very useful can exactly focus any subject involved in the analyzed part of the chart.

Thanks so much
regards
Alinghy

Alinghy,

I'm glad you found that useful, it was fun doing it.

I usually do put arrows but in this case every comment was focused on the breakout of the 9:35 bar, so I felt arrows weren't needed. The 9:35 bar is the one with the vertical line.

I hope that helps.

Last Updated on April 24, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts