NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Need Help: Urgent Broker Problem (Phillip Capital: NT Brokerage, Edge Clear)

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 22 posts (61 thanks)
    2. looks_two AvgTraderJoe with 21 posts (20 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 20 posts (45 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Salao with 17 posts (32 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one NinjaTrader with 3.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two NT Brokerage with 3.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 2.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 2.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 49,379 views
    2. thumb_up 505 thanks given
    3. group 467 followers
    1. forum 309 posts
    2. attach_file 6 attachments

Search this Thread

Need Help: Urgent Broker Problem (Phillip Capital: NT Brokerage, Edge Clear)

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

I know it can be ambiguous at times, but people need to understand there are
  • data providers (eg CQG, Continuum, Rithmic, TT)
  • software providers (eg CQG, TT, Ninja, Sierra Chart, Brokers proprietary front ends)
  • Introducing brokers (eg Ninja, Edge etc)
  • FCMs (eg Phillips) and
  • Exchanges (eg CME & ICE).
A problem in any one of those categories can but not always effect the other categories, but that doesn't mean the others are responsible. For example if the CME matching engine goes down, everybody in every category is effected. It doesn't matter who your broker, data provider or software provider is. Even within these categories, things can happen that only effect a subset of people. A data provider may lose connectivity from a provider that impacts say their Hong Kong data center. In that case only people dependent upon that data center might be effected. Blanket statements about your broker often misses the issue at hand.

The Phliips issue was an (FCM) clearing issue. Hence it effected clients of Phillips and their IBs such as Ninja. I suspect but do not know for sure, that all customers, regardless of software, data, order routing were effected.
The TT issue was a CME order routing issue, and hence effects anybody using software that uses TT for routing CME orders no matter who your broker was. Orders for other exchanges were unaffected.
The CQG issue again appears to be an order routing issue, and hence probably effects anybody using software that uses CGQ for routing CME orders no matter who your broker is.

Hence while the end result may be the same, the cause, and hence the responsible party, can be very different.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

larrynq
Dallas

Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 3

Thanks for the details. So, CQG does Order routing – is it standard for all brokers to use some routing engine or some brokers does directly to the exchange? Do you know whether Thinkorswim or Tradovate or any broker routes directly to the exchange or they go thru some providers like CQG always?

SMCJB View Post
  • software providers (eg CQG, TT, Ninja, Sierra Chart, Brokers proprietary front ends)
  • FCMs (eg Phillips) and
A problem in any one of those categories can but not always effect the other categories, but that doesn't mean the others are responsible. For example if the CME matching engine goes down, everybody in every category is effected. It doesn't matter who your broker, data provider or software provider is. Even within these categories, things can happen that only effect a subset of people. A data provider may lose connectivity from a provider that impacts say their Hong Kong data center. In that case only people dependent upon that data center might be effected. Blanket statements about your broker often misses the issue at hand.

The Phliips issue was an (FCM) clearing issue. Hence it effected clients of Phillips and their IBs such as Ninja. I suspect but do not know for sure, that all customers, regardless of software, data, order routing were effected.
The TT issue was a CME order routing issue, and hence effects anybody using software that uses TT for routing CME orders no matter who your broker was. Orders for other exchanges were unaffected.
The CQG issue again appears to be an order routing issue, and hence probably effects anybody using software that uses CGQ for routing CME orders no matter who your broker is.

Hence while the end result may be the same, the cause, and hence the responsible party, can be very different.

Schnook 
Munich, Germany

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: liquid products
Thanks Given: 1,166
Thanks Received: 1,917

I received emails about the CQG issue from AMP, where I have an account. They just sent out the following:

Quoting 
CQG - Order Routing Problems - Resolved

CQG says their Order Routing issues is Resolved - now working.

What this means:
If you see Open Position on your trading platform, you CAN assume this was NOT affected CQG issue today and you can manage it as you desire.
We are continuing to maintain 100% Exchange margin requirements until fully resolved.

We will continue to provide you updates as they develop.

I did not trade or have any open positions in this account so I was not affected. But it's a very good reminder to have at least one backup account.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.

larrynq View Post
Thanks for the details. So, CQG does Order routing – is it standard for all brokers to use some routing engine or some brokers does directly to the exchange? Do you know whether Thinkorswim or Tradovate or any broker routes directly to the exchange or they go thru some providers like CQG always?

The reason I used ambiguous in my previous reply is that some companies provide multiple services. CQG (and TT) are both data providers, order routers and also have their own software, but they also provide data services and order routing, and even software as a commercial service to others (for example Tradestations Futures+ software is just a white labeled reduced functionality version of the TT software).

A perfect example of what I am saying is (edit) this thread. Ninja's issue was caused by a Phillips back end issue, not anything to do with NT. Also (/edit) many AMP Sierra Chart users seemed to have a problem a few weeks back, but the real cause was TT's order routing, not AMP or Sierra Chart! Hence as @bobwest said, saying saying "My broker XYZ sucks because I can't cancel my order" doesn't really help. We really need to know who your broker is, what software you are using, and who the data provider/order router is. They are probably 3 different people and only 1 of the 3 is to blame!

Note that an extension of this is that it should also be noted that the data provider/order router can vary by broker and software!

Thanked by:

NT Brokerage  NT Brokerage is an official Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Web: NT Brokerage
AMA: Ask Me Anything
Webinars: NT Brokerage Webinars
Elite offer: Click here

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 249

Hi Everyone,

We wanted to provide an update on the CQG server issue on Tuesday, March 16th, which interrupted their order routing system.

The technical issue has since been resolved however orders and positions for a limited number of clients were impacted. Included below is the latest information we have as of 10:30 PM CT on Tuesday, March 16th:
  • Positions should reflect accurately in the trading platform following Phillip Capital’s March 16th statement run later this evening. If you see a discrepancy or do not recognize a position, do not take any action on the position. Alternatively, please email us at [email protected].
  • If you have a “stuck” order in your trading platform and are unable to cancel, please email us at [email protected] with the applicable details (buy or sell, # of contracts, etc). As a reminder, never take any action on orders or positions you feel may be incorrect.
To verify any questions you may have regarding an order status or position discrepancies, please submit your inquiry and the applicable details to [email protected]. This will allow for the most efficient processing and a timely resolution.

Thanks for your patience as this issue is resolved.

Thank you,
NinjaTrader Brokerage

Risk Disclosure: Futures and forex trading involves significant risk of loss and is not appropriate for everyone.
larrynq
Dallas

Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 3

Thanks a lot. This is very helpful and one final question – Do you know any broker/ charting where they are less dependent on 3rd party providers? Or is there a place to find out by broker and what 3rd party firms they use? Lately I’ve been affected by too many issues and trying to understand if there is any platform/Charting software out there where it is fully integrated or less dependent where they provide data and routing directly. Thanks again for detailed response

SMCJB View Post
The reason I used ambiguous in my previous reply is that some companies provide multiple services. CQG (and TT) are both data providers, order routers and also have their own software, but they also provide data services and order routing, and even software as a commercial service to others (for example Tradestations Futures+ software is just a white labeled reduced functionality version of the TT software).

A perfect example of what I am saying is (edit) this thread. Ninja's issue was caused by a Phillips back end issue, not anything to do with NT. Also (/edit) many AMP Sierra Chart users seemed to have a problem a few weeks back, but the real cause was TT's order routing, not AMP or Sierra Chart! Hence as @bobwest said, saying saying "My broker XYZ sucks because I can't cancel my order" doesn't really help. We really need to know who your broker is, what software you are using, and who the data provider/order router is. They are probably 3 different people and only 1 of the 3 is to blame!

Note that an extension of this is that it should also be noted that the data provider/order router can vary by broker and software!

TraderMich 
Copenhagen + Denmark

Broker: Broker: Trade Future 4 Less. Data Feed/Order routing: CQG
Trading: DAX; ES; Bund Futures
Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Received: 57

SMCJB View Post
  • FCMs (eg Phillips) and

Thank you very much SMCJB.

What SMCJB are providing here is a very good, clear and precise explanation of the infrastructure of the futures trading set-up, and it is important for everybody to be aware of that.

Of course many will and correctly turn to their broker (Introduction Broker - IB) as many will see the IB as the central spot, but still it important to bear the infrastructure in mind.

Regarding the CQG problem yesterday I did not having any problem, but this might be due to that I am trading out of Europe and hence trough CQG Europe server which might just prove SMCJB point that even if the data provider (in this case) CQG has problem it might not be with all servers ( not all data providers has placed servers global)

In other messages it is quoted from CQG that they went on Exchange required margins for all trades, (this was communicated in the forum late yesterday evening US time) - As of writing this approx. 9:30 AM European time I am able to trade on the normal CQG intraday trading margins, but CQG might overnight have issued more information that I am not aware of as of writing.

For the sake of clarification I am trading on Sierra Chart platform and using Trade Future 4 Less as IB and FCM is Dorman.

Investigating the CQG problem mentioned here in the forum I checked Sierra Charts Support Forum and it appears that Sierra Charts are aware of many CQG issues, please see:

https://www.sierrachart.com/SupportBoard.php?ThreadID=46231

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

larrynq View Post
Do you know any broker/ charting where they are less dependent on 3rd party providers? Or is there a place to find out by broker and what 3rd party firms they use?

Everybody is dependent upon somebody for data! In the old XTrader TT model, FCM's had their own data gateways, so in that sense they were dependent upon themselves for data. I believe most brokers have multiple platform and multiple data providers. Not sure there is a universal list.

TraderMich View Post
In other messages it is quoted from CQG that they went on Exchange required margins for all trades, (this was communicated in the forum late yesterday evening US time) - As of writing this approx. 9:30 AM European time I am able to trade on the normal CQG intraday trading margins, but CQG might overnight have issued more information that I am not aware of as of writing.

For the sake of clarification I am trading on Sierra Chart platform and using Trade Future 4 Less as IB and FCM is Dorman.

CQG are a data and software provider they are not a broker or FCM. Hence CQG do not set margin requirements. While the messaging may be coming to you through CQG in this case the margin requirement is being set by 'Trade Future 4 Less' or more likely Dorman. Somebody else using CQG through different brokers will have different margin requirements.

Thanked by:

TraderMich 
Copenhagen + Denmark

Broker: Broker: Trade Future 4 Less. Data Feed/Order routing: CQG
Trading: DAX; ES; Bund Futures
Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Received: 57

SMCJB View Post
Everybody is dependent upon somebody for data! In the old XTrader TT model, FCM's had their own data gateways, so in that sense they were dependent upon themselves for data. I believe most brokers have multiple platform and multiple data providers. Not sure there is a universal list.

CQG are a data and software provider they are not a broker or FCM. Hence CQG do not set margin requirements. While the messaging may be coming to you through CQG in this case the margin requirement is being set by 'Trade Future 4 Less' or more likely Dorman. Somebody else using CQG through different brokers will have different margin requirements.

Appreciate you comment SMCJB, but CQG are setting the margins - Please refer to the Sierra Charts link from this it can also be seen - SC is pointing out CQG mistage in risk calculations based on margins.

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

TraderMich View Post
Appreciate you comment SMCJB, but CQG are setting the margins - Please refer to the Sierra Charts link from this it can also be seen - SC is pointing out CQG mistage in risk calculations based on margins.

The software performs the margin calculation (as discussed in the Sierra Chart Thread, Post 10) but Exchanges and Brokers set the margin rates, not software or data providers. So the calculation could be wrong, but CQG are not setting the margin rates. Also the issue of Software charging two margins for Bracket Orders is a long standing problem and is not specific to CQG.

Last Updated on March 18, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts