NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Deetee’s DAX Trading Journal (time based)

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Deetee with 421 posts (590 thanks)
    2. looks_two GFIs1 with 13 posts (23 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Schnook with 9 posts (23 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Miesto with 7 posts (14 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Schnook with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Miesto with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 GFIs1 with 1.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Deetee with 1.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 55,969 views
    2. thumb_up 702 thanks given
    3. group 30 followers
    1. forum 474 posts
    2. attach_file 194 attachments

Search this Thread

Deetee’s DAX Trading Journal (time based)

Deetee 
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader / IB /Rithmic
Broker: EdgeClear / InteractiveBrokers / Rithmic
Trading: DAX / (M)NQ / (M)ES
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,832
Thanks Received: 788

Thursday

Today my system doesn’t give a good trade.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
ApexTraderFunding.com experience and review
13 thanks
Trading with Intuition
12 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
9 thanks
EG Indicators
8 thanks
 Deetee 
Market Wizard

Friday

Monday Labor day in the US.
Today no gap. IB is short and inside prior day range.

DAX Short trade
Entry 9:30 @ 15815
Exit 11:00 @ 15842
SL 27 pts
Result -27 pts

Historical results with this setup:
284 pts (9 trades/win% 89%)

Let’s see

Deetee 
Market Wizard

Results

This week there were 2 trades in this journal, 16 points loss.

Total results for this journal:

Have a good weekend

Thanked by:
 Deetee 
Market Wizard

Monday

Labor day in the US. Only once a year, so not a good sample size (11x).
When I treat all the US holidays that always fall on a Monday the same (Martin Luther King day, Presidents’ day, Memorial day, Labor day), then the sample size is 41 (when I exclude the days that are German IFO or German holidays). Still small, but better.

As the statistics don’t look good, no trade today.

Thanked by:

Schnook 
Munich, Germany

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: liquid products
Thanks Given: 1,166
Thanks Received: 1,917

I've been reading Martin Zweig's Winning on Wall Street, where, in his chapter on Seasonal Indicators he mentions holiday trading. At the time of writing (first edition came out 1986) he had observed a strong tendency for equity markets to rally on the day before a holiday.

From page 157: "covering a twenty-three year period which I have tabulated, there were a total of 223 pre-holiday trading days. Of these, the market rose in 193 cases, or 83% of the time. Only 28 times, or in 12% of the cases, did the market fall; the market was even 12 times, which is 5% of the cases."

He also writes that "the holidays with the most bullish tendencies are Labor Day and New Years. Labor Day produced the best percentage gains..."

I took a look at some more recent data around Monday holidays last week and found that over the last 11 years or so the tendency to rally on a pre-holiday Friday (my sample size was 57 observations in the ES) was a bit lower than it was in Zweig's sample, rising just 65% of the time, but that's still a decent 2:1 ratio.

Also, in Zweig's book he describes a strategy where, if the market is flat or goes down on the day before a holiday, we would reverse and go short for the post-holiday session. This strategy, according to his observations from 1952 to 1985, would have produced 223 winners and just 8 losers.

Again, Zweig's observations may be rather dated at this point, but I still found it very interesting reading. I highly recommend the book.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,541
Thanks Received: 26,292

Schnook View Post
I've been reading Martin Zweig's Winning on Wall Street, where, in his chapter on Seasonal Indicators he mentions holiday trading. At the time of writing (first edition came out 1986) he had observed a strong tendency for equity markets to rally on the day before a holiday.

From page 157: "covering a twenty-three year period which I have tabulated, there were a total of 223 pre-holiday trading days. Of these, the market rose in 193 cases, or 83% of the time. Only 28 times, or in 12% of the cases, did the market fall; the market was even 12 times, which is 5% of the cases."

He also writes that "the holidays with the most bullish tendencies are Labor Day and New Years. Labor Day produced the best percentage gains..."

I took a look at some more recent data around Monday holidays last week and found that over the last 11 years or so the tendency to rally on a pre-holiday Friday (my sample size was 57 observations in the ES) was a bit lower than it was in Zweig's sample, rising just 65% of the time, but that's still a decent 2:1 ratio.

Also, in Zweig's book he describes a strategy where, if the market is flat or goes down on the day before a holiday, we would reverse and go short for the post-holiday session. This strategy, according to his observations from 1952 to 1985, would have produced 223 winners and just 8 losers.

Again, Zweig's observations may be rather dated at this point, but I still found it very interesting reading. I highly recommend the book.

I read this book when it came out, which dates me. I agree it's a good book, and some things don't change. I have observed since approximately the beginning of time (a slight exaggeration) that on the day before traders get time off markets tend to go up, and the day they have to come back to work, markets don't. I don't think this is a coincidence.

(Also, not all "trading" is by professional or dedicated traders. A lot of stock buying/selling is by regular people who are putting money into their investments for their own reasons, and the ebb and flow of the general public mood before and after a long weekend may be a factor.)

I have a book on my shelf, which I'm not going to dig out right now, published before Zweig's, that, if I recall correctly, found this to hold up back into the early 1950's or possibly earlier. For a long time, anyway.

It also tends to work for normal Fridays (traders happy) and Mondays (not so happy), although not with the same reliability.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

Schnook 
Munich, Germany

Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: liquid products
Thanks Given: 1,166
Thanks Received: 1,917

bobwest View Post
I read this book when it came out, which dates me. I agree it's a good book, and some things don't change. I have observed since approximately the beginning of time (a slight exaggeration) that on the day before traders get time off markets tend to go up, and the day they have to come back to work, markets don't. I don't think this is a coincidence.

(Also, not all "trading" is by professional or dedicated traders. A lot of stock buying/selling is by regular people who are putting money into their investments for their own reasons, and the ebb and flow of the general public mood before and after a long weekend may be a factor.)

I have a book on my shelf, which I'm not going to dig out right now, published before Zweig's, that, if I recall correctly, found this to hold up back into the early 1950's or possibly earlier. For a long time, anyway.

It also tends to work for normal Fridays (traders happy) and Mondays (not so happy), although not with the same reliability.

Bob.

You're absolutely right, Bob. There might also be some mild tendencies for stocks to rise just after employees receive their 401(k) contributions each month, and fresh cash gets put to work in the index and mutual funds on the first business day of the new month. Such mechanical, non-economic supply and demand events can and do impact markets in ways seldom captured by simple price-action or chart analysis.

Many of these tendencies and calendar events are insufficient to produce a profitable stand-alone trading strategy, but when combined with other factors, filters, or conditions, can produce reliable statistical edges, as @Deetee and @GFIs1 have ably demonstrated in their journals. This type of work has certainly helped me improve my own results and inspires me to continue my research, hence my interest in these journals.

Thanks guys

Thanked by:
 Deetee 
Market Wizard

Thanks!! Happy to see people supporting.

I thought the day that I am being mentioned in the same sentence as @GFIs1, must be the day that I'm filty rich. But appearantly not yet hahaha

Thanked by:
 Jaap8242 
Netherlands Amsterdam

Platform: Sierra Charts
Broker: Infinity Futures
Trading: FGBL
Frequency: Every few months
Thanks Given: 142
Thanks Received: 104

If you are daytrading, then this statement might be more useful :"3 Day Cycle has a 91% probability of fulfilling Positive Cycle Statistics covering 12 years of recorded tracking history."This data has been confirmed by Richard Boisvert of Taylor Trading Technique during a webinar of Polaris Trading Group. Apr. 8th, 2016, Module 16 (min 38).
Now, more then 5 years later this is still valid.

Thanked by:
 Deetee 
Market Wizard

Tuesday

Day after Labor day in the US.

This Tuesday considered as first trading day of the week. This would give a good opportunity in case the IB is long.

DAX Long trade
Entry 9:30 @ 15910
Exit 10:00 @ 15904
SL 27 pts
Result -6 pts

Historical results with this setup:
243 pts (27 trades/win% 74%)

Let's see

edit: this trade was based on no IB filter at all considering the IB to be flat

Last Updated on December 17, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts