NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trailer Park Capitol

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one michaelroth with 315 posts (536 thanks)
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 18 posts (54 thanks)
    3. looks_3 TheTradeSlinger with 17 posts (30 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 16 posts (60 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 5.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 3.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 michaelroth with 1.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 50,589 views
    2. thumb_up 837 thanks given
    3. group 40 followers
    1. forum 412 posts
    2. attach_file 462 attachments

Search this Thread

Trailer Park Capitol

westsider 
St Louis, MO

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader TOS Jigsaw
Broker: Ninjatrader
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 55
Thanks Received: 127

michaelroth View Post
All my friends are good losers

Got a lot out of the video on "Good Losing" Thanks for sharing, In the past I have given so much back to the market by taking on too much risk.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities

michaelroth 
Gillette Wyoming

Experience: Beginner
Platform: ninjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader
Trading: futures
Thanks Given: 739
Thanks Received: 563

Week opener

Did some looking into volume profile and order flow this weekend so I'm delving into these dark arts this week. The idea here is use volume profile to identify potential support and resistance and then use order flow to time the entries. My initial impression is that its pretty. Just look at it. Here I'm looking at the ES and NQ in 30 minutes with volume profile configured to show me profiles for the day and for New York. I marked up prior day POC's. Today has respected one and blew through another. On the right is the foot print charts. I just know the basics here, but I get the sense that I'm tight up against the right side of the chart and actually experiencing price as it happens when I look at this chart. Right now it's bringing me joy.

There's a lot more to dig into here. What I'm now looking for is a 'bread and butter' set up that I can use daily. Along the way I'm trying some things. Last night I got into a trade- or a series of trades. Some things worked, some didn't. The volume profile stuff is pretty straight forward. This week is in part seeing if there's anything to it. I can see the logic behind it- big money means big volume, big volumes are the POC. but does it work? I'm hoping to find out. The footprint chart is something else, its not so straight forward, but goodness is it PRETTY. I know the basics here, but I think I'll have to know a bit more and use it more before I can say I know how to use this, or this is useful. Over all I like what I see this morning.

Day trading, so easy a caveman could do it.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

michaelroth 
Gillette Wyoming

Footprint charts and Usability

So the trade that I took this morning was good. What makes a good trade? It was quick and big and I saw it coming. Where did I see it? Mostly on the footprint chart, but I also could see that it was banging into the 200 SMA on the 30m chart. What I saw mostly was big bear energy flow into the footprint chart which convinced me that we were now going down so I sold. It was quick- 1.72 minutes. I was going for 80ish ticks on this one, but ended up pulling out at about half that. The true R:R on this ended up being 1:1. I got out mostly because 10 points in 103 seconds is pretty awesome. Incidentally price ended up reacting with 200 SMA on the 5 minute chart, which was the 10 points. Its pretty, but is it repeatable?

Today I get the feeling that to trade well I need to be ...present with price, or, in the moment with price, not behind price or chasing price. Not wondering what price will do future. I have all the time in the world to be in the past or future with price or the whole market, but when when I'm actually trading, I have to be there AS it happens, because when I do, that's when I make good and easy trades. That's when I quickly cut my losers, but getting there is hard. Staying there, harder. This is one thing that I am working on.

Anyway, I'm done for the day. I'm looking at the charts off and on, but that's not trading, that's thinking about what price did, or where it might go. 10 point days could totally be my jam. Its not a hard number for me, rather its a kind of trade or even a trade idea- wait and find the market conditions where I know I can take 10ish points (ES) quickly. Maybe it happens no times a day or 10 times, Maybe sometimes I get it wrong and lose 10 points. Something like that. I'm getting there.

Thanked by:

michaelroth 
Gillette Wyoming

What am I trying to do here?

I took one trade today, a small winner. Here's what it looks like on the charts-

What I'm trying to do here is find where the big fish are trading using the volume profile so that I can time a great entries using the footprint chart. Today's trade wasn't really what I am trying to do. Had I got out sooner I would have liked this trade more. I'm on night shifts, so to be able to wake up and trade somewhat proficiently, that's good. The addition of Order Flow Volume Profile and the footprint chart feels right. Today I developed a position using the added information from these and managed it based on what I was seeing in the market real time. Even though the trade did not take off the way I thought it might, I was able to leave my position gracefully. So not a bad day.

Thanked by:

michaelroth 
Gillette Wyoming

Back testing 5m/50 EMA/3RSI/5ADX

10/10/21
gross win ratio: 5:1/$1575.00
wins in NY cash session: 2/$637.5

I'm attempting to test all last week against this 5 minute scalping strategy I seen on YouTube. I don't know how far I'll get. Liked what I first saw here.

michaelroth 
Gillette Wyoming

Back testing 10.11.2021

All of these trades were before the New York cash session.

michaelroth 
Gillette Wyoming

This is the strategy I'm back testing

michaelroth 
Gillette Wyoming

Back testing continues 10.21.2021

Just one trade in the cash session, this time in the afternoon.

Thanked by:

michaelroth 
Gillette Wyoming

Back testing 10.13.2021

Solid trade at the open of the cash session. Lots of trades all through the day, the losers where clustered.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,360

Do you want some advice? I hate chiming in without asking first, since most people posting in journals really don't want advice.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 31, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts