NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

ApexTraderFunding.com experience and review

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one VirtualMark with 27 posts (21 thanks)
    2. looks_two ApexTraderFunding with 26 posts (25 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Baudo with 24 posts (65 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Howard Roark with 22 posts (76 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Merkd1904 with 7.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 4.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Howard Roark with 3.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Baudo with 2.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 121,292 views
    2. thumb_up 540 thanks given
    3. group 88 followers
    1. forum 318 posts
    2. attach_file 17 attachments

Search this Thread

ApexTraderFunding.com experience and review

alberteinstein7 
Boston, MA USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, Bookmap
Broker: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, MES, NQ, MNQ
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 13

ApexTraderFunding View Post
Thanks for your honest review.
I find it very interesting that you mentioned the "not understanding the live trailing drawdown" issue. As you said we try really hard to get this message out to everyone, we try to be as transparent as possible.

Could I ask what is the purpose of the trailing drawdown as this is a not real-world?

Also, why are the drawdowns so tight? $2500 on a $50.000 account. This means that if you used the standard 1-2 percent risk management loss/trade, this would only be 2-4 ticks on the emini S&P. How can you make this work?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

ApexTraderFunding   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 30
Thanks Received: 56

Baudo View Post
Hi Marion,

Thank you for this clarification.

I checked the contract again and you are right, I misconceived.

That brings up the question since when are women NOT right?

Thanked by:

alberteinstein7 View Post
Could I ask what is the purpose of the trailing drawdown as this is a not real-world?

Also, why are the drawdowns so tight? $2500 on a $50.000 account. This means that if you used the standard 1-2 percent risk management loss/trade, this would only be 2-4 ticks on the emini S&P. How can you make this work?

I did not make the rules but I will forward it to the boys in charge.

Baudo
Utrecht, Netherlands

Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 104

Lol .. The women are right and the boys are in charge.. this is something to work on as Apex

Thanked by:

That's how it goes lol

Thanked by:
 alberteinstein7 
Boston, MA USA

Thank you for that.
Is this something that you can report back on once you get an answer?

Thank you for that.
Is this something that you can report back on once you get an answer?

Yup will do

Daytrader999 
Ilsede, Germany
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Rithmic / CQG / Ninja Trader Brokerage
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 2,067
Thanks Received: 2,316

Well, it should be clear that with a $50k account you are basically trading a $2,5k account, regardless of whether it's named $50k or $1000k or whatever you like.

It always boils down to the size / limitation of the max. drawdown, so if you want to trade ONE REAL $50k account, you need to get yourself 10 $150k accounts with a max. drawdown of $5k each and trade them simultaneously with an appropriate distribution of risk parameters and contract size.

Hope this helps...

"If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much." - Jim Rohn
 alberteinstein7 
Boston, MA USA

Daytrader999 View Post
Well, it should be clear that with a $50k account you are basically trading a $2,5k account, regardless of whether it's named $50k or $1000k or whatever you like.

It always boils down to the size / limitation of the max. drawdown, so if you want to trade ONE REAL $50k account, you need to get yourself 10 $150k accounts with a max. drawdown of $5k each and trade them simultaneously with an appropriate distribution of risk parameters and contract size.

Hope this helps...

Thank you for your reply.
However, by increasing the number of accounts, does not increase the drawdown amount. Increasing the account size does, but this brings with it a higher profit goal and monthly fee. If you did as you mentioned, your monthly cost on 10 $150,000 accounts would be $2,970.
Another interesting think I noticed was, if you look closely the drawdowns do not increase proportionately.
For instance the drawdown for a $50,000 account is $2,500 and the drawdown for a $100,000 account is only $3,000.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,526
Thanks Received: 26,292

Daytrader999 View Post

Hope this helps...

I think that, without getting too far into the details of a particular company's offering, the point with all these funding companies is that the "$50,000" or "$150,000" accounts are just sim accounts with pretend "balances." To compare them to trading with a real account, they do not give you $50,000, for example, of margin. They give you the "margin" that you can lose before you have blown up the account, which differs between them, but which is going to be just a few thousand sim dollars, nothing like the advertised face value.

This is a marketing decision, and it should be understood as such, and the "50k" or "150k" number should be dismissed by the trader taking the trial. Just look to see what is the amount you can lose, and be guided accordingly. They also all have some kinds of rules like the trailing drawdown rules, which are loss-control rules. A trader in a live account should have something of the sort as well if they trade on their own. Not having something to limit loss and tell the trader to shut it down is probably one reason that very few traders actually are profitable in real trading.

And to address @alberteinstein7's point that "This means that if you used the standard 1-2 percent risk management loss/trade, this would only be 2-4 ticks on the emini S&P...." Well, there are many different recommendations about how much of your total capital to risk, so 1-2 % may not be exactly a "standard," but if all you have is $2,500 in a real account, then yes, 2% is $50, which is 4 ES ticks (1 point) per contract.

I would say that a trader attempting this test will need to be very clear about the amount of loss they can take, given the size of their "capital", and it likely will need to be well over 2%. Let's say you think that you can withstand a loss of 4 or 5 points for a stop loss, that's $250/contract, a small amount for a stop, actually, but it's 10% of the $2,500.

A person is going to have to think carefully about this risk equation.

This is not meant as a comment one way or another on Apex or its rules. I don't even quite know what they are, actually. But I felt I should add something when the nominal face values of "50,000" and "150,000" are tossed around as if they are real numbers. Look at what you actually have at risk and consider, based on your familiarity with your own trading, whether you think you can succeed with the actual numbers you will be trading with.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote

Last Updated on April 27, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts