NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Is anything better than order flow?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one RickM with 10 posts (28 thanks)
    2. looks_two trymph with 10 posts (7 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Cools81 with 6 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 HiLatencyTRDR HLT with 5 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 21.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two FuturesTrader71 with 8.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 RickM with 2.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 HiLatencyTRDR HLT with 2.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 30,342 views
    2. thumb_up 240 thanks given
    3. group 619 followers
    1. forum 113 posts
    2. attach_file 20 attachments

Search this Thread

Is anything better than order flow?

kovacs
London, UK

Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 6

El Duderino View Post
Greetings, all.

It's been nearly a year since I responded to that fateful question, "Is order flow good shit, or what?" (I paraphrase somewhat, but I believe that captures the essence of the query).

Since that time, I've spent countless hours living, breathing, and sleeping order flow. Jigsaw and I became fast friends, to the point where I can now do a passable Peter Davies impression. In my beloved Sierra Chart, I have multiple DOMs constructed. I've built and contemplated heat maps, and have viewed low time-frame swing charts next to price ladders next to variously filtered time & sales "tapes".

And then...I stumbled (as I so often do) upon the following website:

Scalping Education ? [AUTOLINK]Depth of Market[/AUTOLINK] Trading

And BAM! There it was. Or rather, there it wasn't. Because Alberto, the proprietor of the site--and YouTube channel of the same name--had discarded the guts of the conventional DOM and just used price, volume at price, volume imbalance at price, and cumulative volume delta to trade. Basically, price and a few volume variants.

For me, it's the ultimate KISS, as applied to reading the market in the moment.

Of course, that's just me.

At any rate, I pass this on to the community. Maybe it will float your boat, maybe not. I've emailed back and forth with Alberto several times and he has responded to my questions and comments with unfailing patience, courtesy and, I feel, generosity of spirit. And whereas previously I clenched my buttocks mightily when working the ES using order flow, I now sit calmly and even hazard a smile while using Alberto's approach.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Do you know if he is a successful trader? I googled his name and on his Linkedin page he says he worked for Futex as a trader between 2000 - 2016. Then here is this crowdfunding page from 2017 where he says: "After work experiences as a teacher, a trainer, a coordinator of projects for disadvantaged youth and, for many years, a stubborn and mostly unsuccessful financial trader, I would like to change my professional engagement and be involved, once again, in educational and social activities, starting a new career in development. " https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/alberto-cevese

And according to his Linkedin he is now a school teacher. He definitely knows how to read / teach the DOM as he was a trader for many years, but I'm not sure if he is a successful trader or not.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management

trymph 
chicago us

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninja
Trading: Futures
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 16
Thanks Received: 50

@ kovacs............I looked at the progression of posts/video's suggested by the dude also. IMHO it seems that upon a closer look at the trades themselves as posted in YouTube, Alberto is using the dartboard method of trade entry spots. With enough $$$ drawdown during the life of a trade's open position, one can usually profit by a few ticks......eventually. That is of course unless you blow up the account when the position never returns into profitability on a one-way blind alley.

Thanked by:
kovacs
London, UK

Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 6

trymph View Post
@ kovacs............I looked at the progression of posts/video's suggested by the dude also. IMHO it seems that upon a closer look at the trades themselves as posted in YouTube, Alberto is using the dartboard method of trade entry spots. With enough $$$ drawdown during the life of a trade's open position, one can usually profit by a few ticks......eventually. That is of course unless you blow up the account when the position never returns into profitability on a one-way blind alley.

It's quite a suicidal method in my opinion. So many youtube educators and course vendors can't make money with their own method. They teach because they often invested lots of time and probably money in learning those concepts and want to make some money out of it, one way or another. Unsuccessful traders create even more unsuccessful traders.

Thanked by:
 HiLatencyTRDR HLT 
Midway florida

Yes buy low and sell high. You don't need anything at all just look at the price from where it was yesterday. Subtract 200 points and buy then

Last Updated on September 12, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts