NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Any know an orderflow based momentum/strength indicator?

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one emun with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two ArkansasClint with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Tradarr with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 horacioofman with 1 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one HiLatencyTRDR HLT with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two casey44 with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 emun with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 1,676 views
    2. thumb_up 7 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 12 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

Any know an orderflow based momentum/strength indicator?

HiLatencyTRDR HLT 
Midway florida

Um...human beings cannot read order flow fast enough and neither can a computer at your house or office.

If you are colocated that is great and a machine reading the trade matches as they are matched in the pico second would help you but even that is latent.

You also are mixing up imo.. order flow and order book with time and sales possibly because you failed to mention that we have hidden iceberg orders as well which number 2 to 3x the Limit order book.

Also there are millions of orders that are sent to the market as mit etc and stops that you do not see on the CLOB. This crazy infatuation with jigsaw type crapola doesn't help anyone with their trading success.

Where are all the jigsaw millionaires. There was a time when reading the order book mattered because it was slow and orders were sometimes held as well as you knew the offering or bidding party but not anymore.

On the trading floor if a guy offered 1000 at this price then he would honor it because no one would trade with him ever again if he didn't. But now a days electronic clobs are never wysiwig!!!!

Best I can help you is take volume and range over certain time periods say 10 seconds and build on your ratio idea of the amt of volume it took to move x amount of points. I have found that low volume areas are where price moves ridiculous amounts instead of high volume battles.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
22 thanks
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
19 thanks
ApexTraderFunding.com experience and review
15 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
15 thanks
EG Indicators
11 thanks
 Tradarr 
Atlanta Ga. USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT8,ThinkorSwim,
Trading: Grains
Thanks Given: 86
Thanks Received: 88

Uh humans too slow to read a 30 minute footprint bar?

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

ArkansasClint
Little Rock, Arkansas

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 5

HiLatencyTRDR HLT View Post
Um...human beings cannot read order flow fast enough and neither can a computer at your house or office.

If you are colocated that is great and a machine reading the trade matches as they are matched in the pico second would help you but even that is latent.

You also are mixing up imo.. order flow and order book with time and sales possibly because you failed to mention that we have hidden iceberg orders as well which number 2 to 3x the Limit order book.

Also there are millions of orders that are sent to the market as mit etc and stops that you do not see on the CLOB. This crazy infatuation with jigsaw type crapola doesn't help anyone with their trading success.

Where are all the jigsaw millionaires. There was a time when reading the order book mattered because it was slow and orders were sometimes held as well as you knew the offering or bidding party but not anymore.

On the trading floor if a guy offered 1000 at this price then he would honor it because no one would trade with him ever again if he didn't. But now a days electronic clobs are never wysiwig!!!!

Best I can help you is take volume and range over certain time periods say 10 seconds and build on your ratio idea of the amt of volume it took to move x amount of points. I have found that low volume areas are where price moves ridiculous amounts instead of high volume battles.

I have a different definition of order flow than market depth. I don't even have a subscription with market depth. Don't use it at all. My theory is that the depth of market is too easily susceptible to manipulation. I also cannot beat the speed of algos.

However, what I can do is see what orders transacted at what price, because that cannot be easily hidden and/or is not remarkably affected by dark pools in a very liquid futures contract. What orders were transacted at a given price and time are part of order flow as I define it.

The OP wants to know if there is an indicator that considers a number of factors to determine if the delta is strong or weak relative to price. I think that is really subjective because what is strong on one instrument will be nothing to a different one. Also, strength or weakness will be very relative to market conditions.

For me, when skewed in the same direction as price AND price is moving with it, that's strong delta relative to price. If delta is heavily negative and price is moving up, that's a divergence that deserves watching as delta is not strong to price and there will be some information present when the delta and price match.

Last Updated on August 27, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts