NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Reading Price Action

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GarryM with 15 posts (25 thanks)
    2. looks_two wh with 4 posts (9 thanks)
    3. looks_3 cunparis with 4 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 lolu with 4 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Patrick17 with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two TheRumpledOne with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 wh with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GarryM with 1.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 41,606 views
    2. thumb_up 61 thanks given
    3. group 25 followers
    1. forum 69 posts
    2. attach_file 16 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Reading Price Action

GarryM 
Tucson AZ

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 138

cunparis View Post
Hi Garry,

Very good observation about MTF. This is the only way I'll trade on a pullback, if I see that the pullback occurs at a cyclical turning point on several timeframes.

on the other hand, I am having second thoughts about MTFs. For 2 weeks now I trade 1 timeframe only. I have toggled back and forth between say 5 min and 150 tick. If you're trading the major S/R levels then the tick chart just shows noise. So far I'm feeling like I can do without them.

TRO's comments on MTF also keep me thinking about this. Good topic.

PS: You often post BMP files, I think on accident. It makes viewing the images very slow. I think the forum shouldn't accept BMP, I'm not sure how you do it.

Cunparis,

Sorry about the BMP files would jpeg, gif, tiff, or png be the best?

There are many opinions about MTFs and how or if to use them in your trading.
Al Brooks, whose book taught me a lot, uses only a 5 min chart and a 20ma.

I feel for me to not keep an eye on a longer term time frame would be foolish, by just sitting and waiting to strike when everything lines up, helped me cross the line into profitabiliy.

My best trading buddy uses only a 5 min, he has been trading successfully for over 30 years He says MTFs are a nuisance and a distraction, and they are just one more thing to complicate his trading.

Maybe someday my mind will change. I'm just not ready to stop a good thing.

Garry

Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management

cunparis 
Paris, France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,094

GarryM View Post
My best trading buddy uses only a 5 min, he has been trading successfully for over 30 years He says MTFs are a nuisance and a distraction, and they are just one more thing to complicate his trading.

This is the direction I'm currently heading. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. When I use MTF I often find myself not taking a trade due to something missing on one TF and then missing a good trade. And then taking a trade due to seeing something on MTF and getting a bad one. I prefer simple and take all the setups.

JPG is best cause it's smallest. BMP are huge.

PS: If multiple timeframes work for some people then nothing wrong with it. I don't try to convince anyone, I think there are endless ways to make money trading. No "one way".

Follow me on Twitter

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,247
Thanks Received: 101,669

My thoughts...

PNG for best image and file size combination. JPG still better than BMP

Regarding MTF, what I say is don't look to multiple time frames for signals... look for confirmation. Trade just one chart, don't trade three. So if I have three charts up, I pick one that I trade (signals) and the other two are for confirmation.

Confirmation does not mean the same setup and signal. Confirmation means it is heading with me and not against me.

Don't try to take signals from three different charts unless you are already making huge money consistently.

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: YM and CL
Thanks Given: 1,783
Thanks Received: 3,305

Here...here.... I'm with Mike. I trade my trading chart and just before I enter a trade I glance at my anchor to make sure it's with me. Done deal.

Follow me on Twitter

Patrick17 
Bellevue, WA. USA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Amp Futures/CQG
Thanks Given: 187
Thanks Received: 5

The more I read, the more confused I get... I must have a pea brain, or, most of you are looking for something that's not there... and although there are some valuable bits of information in every thread, I think we're all "lost Seekers of the Holy Grail" ... Whatever charts or indicators we use, or develope, or tweek, it's all there in front of us already. It all comes down to money management. Plain and simple. I make $1000 to $2000 a day, 4 out of 5 days, using the same setup entry and exit strategy, and I never deviate from it. I trade only the ES, 2 hours a day. But most days I'm done trading in the first hour, and turn the computer off. Then I go run my other business for 8 hours, and make less than $500 a day. I've used the TVGR Gap Rule for 2 years, everyday. I read about it several years ago, tried it, and it works. I consider myself a beginner, because I only trade the opening gap, and cycle-scalp the first hour, or so. There are so many smart people here at futures.io (formerly BMT). I am intimidated, and embarrassed to even attempt to contribute. I don't know the first thing about programing, how to back test anything. I marvel at most indicators, but honestly have know idea how to use them. Trade Station looks like a kaleidoscope, and scares the h_ll out of me. I keep a daily journal, but written in pencil. I never risk more than 5% of my account, so I've never even come close to blowing it up. I have a passion for making money. But my weakness is in not having any idea how or when to let profit run. Wait for outliers. I always enter 20 contracts, and at 4 ticks cash in 10, and 8 ticks cash in the remaining 10. If a trade goes against me, I'm out. I've tried leaving a portion of the spread run, but felt so much stress, that I wish I hadn't... My chart setup is SMA 200 100 50, EMA 15. Stochastic 3,5, with a 50% constant line. and MACD 5, 20, with signal line at 30, for momentum. I watch the 15min- 30 min chart for the cycle, or short trend, and enter from the 3 min chart with confirmation leading from the %K diverging %D, and MACD leading off of "0", up or down. Day Trading 101, isn't it? I know some of you super smart people here have figured out a way, with high probability, for staying in a trade longer. I would really appreciate some help with this.
Thanks, Patrick

Thanked by:
 Turtleman21 
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Platform: InvestorRT, S5Trader, Jigsaw
Broker: Stage 5 Trading, IQFeed
Trading: ES, Euro Future
Thanks Given: 29
Thanks Received: 4

Wow, I can't imagine why you feel intimidated or embarrassed . . . sure, it's always great to improve one's skills and profits, but you've obviously become very good at consistently extracting solid profits from the market pursuant to a well-conceived and disciplined plan. I think you should take a bow and start handing out tips to your fellow traders! I'll be interested to see what other responses your very interesting post stimulates; I"m certainly not qualified to start giving you pointers! To the contrary, I aspire to emulate your simplicity, control and fine results.

Good trading!

Thanked by:

cunparis 
Paris, France

Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,094

Patrick17 View Post
I've used the TVGR Gap Rule for 2 years, everyday. I read about it several years ago, tried it, and it works.
I've tried leaving a portion of the spread run, but felt so much stress, that I wish I hadn't...

Hi Patrick, thank you for posting & sharing your experience. I want to congratulate you for having the discipline to continue your method day in and day out, that is very impressive.

I googled TVGR and I couldn't find anything. I'm interested in learning more about this. Would you mind posting a few charts with your trades? In the past I've worked on gap trades and I could never get something that was profitable without large drawdowns, so I'm interested.

For your question, here is what I do which you may find useful. I keep record of my trades and note the MAE (most it went against me) & MFE (most it went in my favor, after I'm out of the trade). Let's say I have 10 stop & 10 target. It goes against me 8 and goes on to +40. After I have a lot of trades I analyze this and I put the data into excel and play with it. I try different stop & target values and find out what combination gives me the highest profit. Then I go from my current target to my desired target one tick at a time. In my current setup I go for 6 ticks. After I get some more data I want to increase it to 7.

I've found that pushing out my target will lower my win rate. This is ok as long as it's more profitable that way. But having a high hit win rate also has it's advantages psychologically especially when trading many contracts. I'm not sure I'd trade a little more money in exchange for having more losing days. I'm looking for a stable income.

Follow me on Twitter

yuri 
Minnesota

Experience: Beginner
Thanks Given: 99
Thanks Received: 8

Hi cumparis, Google for Trader Vic Gap Rule, I think this is it.

Thanked by:

DavidHP 
Isla Mujeres, MX
Legendary Market Wizard

Broker: Ninjatrader / Optimus Futures / AmpFutures
Trading: ES / 6E / 6B / CL
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 11,345
Thanks Received: 2,747

cunparis View Post
I googled TVGR and I couldn't find anything.

Perhaps this will help:

Trader Vic 2 - Victor Sperandeo

Rejoice in the Thunderstorms of Life . . .
Knowing it's not about Clouds or Wind. . .
But Learning to Dance in the Rain ! ! !
Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:
 Turtleman21 
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Platform: InvestorRT, S5Trader, Jigsaw
Broker: Stage 5 Trading, IQFeed
Trading: ES, Euro Future
Thanks Given: 29
Thanks Received: 4

Patrick, I agree with cunparis -- if you're willing, could you share some charts of your trades, and perhaps explain your entry conditions and your stop strategies? Your current exit strategy seems straightforward, but how do you use TVGR to enter on a 3 min chart and where do you put your stops?

I know you asked for assistance, rather than offered it, but I think you've got things you can teach us also. Thanks!

Closed Thread

Last Updated on April 22, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts