NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How to use volume in your trading

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one cunparis with 187 posts (146 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 38 posts (49 thanks)
    3. looks_3 RJay with 34 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Silvester17 with 29 posts (24 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 1.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 cunparis with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Silvester17 with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 407,161 views
    2. thumb_up 485 thanks given
    3. group 157 followers
    1. forum 677 posts
    2. attach_file 202 attachments

Search this Thread

How to use volume in your trading

cunparis 
Paris, France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,094

Check this out:

NT7 & Historical [AUTOLINK]Bid[/AUTOLINK]/Ask data - [AUTOLINK]NinjaTrader[/AUTOLINK] Support Forum

Quoting 

Add("ES 09-09", PeriodType.Tick, 1, MarketDataType.Ask);

would provide of course a 1 tick series of ask prices. This will not be a "market replay". I am personally not familiar with foot print style bid/ask chart so I can't answer yay or nay. There will not be a direct correlation of what the bid/ask price was on each tick if that is what you are looking for. You would have to self calculate this.

this is the problem. the bid ask is stored as a separate data series and not part of the tick data (like volume).

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,247
Thanks Received: 101,669

NickA View Post
Hi Mike,

To achieve things like market delta (and to do stuff like GOM's without an external database and live capture) you need all 3 available to any indicator as it builds from history tick by tick.

OnMarketData makes bid/ask available (6.5 & 7), and to my knowledge, the bid/ask is now in the db as well. It's all tick by tick.

That was what I was trying to get at, whether or not someone has proven this. I have not, it sounds like cunparis has proven it isn't perhaps.

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Zondor 
Portland Oregon, United States

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjatraderŽ
Broker: CQG, Kinetick
Trading: Gameplay KlownbineŽ Trading of Globex
Thanks Given: 1,246
Thanks Received: 2,731

I just posted a new and hopefully greatly improved version of the persistent BuySellVolumeTotal indicator at

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

cunparis 
Paris, France

Zondor View Post
I just posted a new and hopefully greatly improved version of the persistent BuySellVolumeTotal indicator at

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Hi Zondor,

How is this different than the GOM CD with cumulative = false?

Can you explain what you mean by a churn when buy volume is nearly equal to sell volume?

Thanks

Thanked by:

Zondor 

There is a new version that adds the option of showing the buy volume above, and the sell volumes below, the zero line.

The non-cumulative delta is the difference between buys and sells for each bar. so this is similar to Gomi's CD indicator in non-cumulative mode. But we are showing buy and sell volumes, not delta. Non-Cumulative Delta is buy volume minus sell volume for each bar.

The buy and sell volumes in BSVTG3x come from the same place that GCD gets them from.

The idea of churn is volume that doesn't go anywhere, because the buyers and the sellers are deadlocked. Higher volume, less difference between buy and sell volume as a fraction of total volume, and less range denote higher churn.

I hope this turns out to be useful, and certainly would appreciate any feedback.

cunparis 
Paris, France

Zondor View Post
The idea of churn is volume that doesn't go anywhere, because the buyers and the sellers are deadlocked. Higher volume, less difference between buy and sell volume as a fraction of total volume, and less range denote higher churn.

I wouldn't say deadlocked, it simply means that neither side is being aggressive. I haven't seen any significance when the buy volume & sell volume are equal but I haven't really studied the issue.

The word "churn" can be confusing if we use it in different contexts. In this thread, I have used churn for when price doesn't move much. There can be lots of buying or selling volume and still have churn. In fact this is the most interesting for me, when there are lots of aggressive buyers or sellers and price doesn't move. It means they're running into supply or demand.

Zondor 

cunparis View Post
I wouldn't say deadlocked, it simply means that neither side is being aggressive. I haven't seen any significance when the buy volume & sell volume are equal but I haven't really studied the issue.

The word "churn" can be confusing if we use it in different contexts. In this thread, I have used churn for when price doesn't move much. There can be lots of buying or selling volume and still have churn. In fact this is the most interesting for me, when there are lots of aggressive buyers or sellers and price doesn't move. It means they're running into supply or demand.

I do agree with you about running into supply or demand. Or it can mean that both sides are being aggressive. In any event, it shows a good time to be alert to the possibility of a reversal.

cory 
virginia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

I think we can agree on one of characteristic of churning is price stay within a narrow range of (open - close). Or demand is filled by hidden supply or vice versa, maybe this pic will illustrate my point.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	churning.png
Views:	482
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	7589  
Thanked by:

Zondor 

cory View Post
I think we can agree on one of characteristic of churning is price stay within a narrow range of (open - close). Or demand is filled by hidden supply or vice versa, maybe this pic will illustrate my point.

Thanks Cory. That is the very essence of churn: a high ratio of volume to range. Lots of trading with little price movement.

When this happens, the buying and selling volumes (as determined by trades at or above ask and at or below bid) tend to be pretty close to each other, based on my real time observations.

cunparis 
Paris, France

Zondor View Post
When this happens, the buying and selling volumes (as determined by trades at or above ask and at or below bid) tend to be pretty close to each other, based on my real time observations.

We agree on churn but this is not my observation. My observation is that the volume is often one-sided as they run into a wall.

image I park a sell limit order for 100000 contracts at 1.3848

you can have tons of aggressive buyers buying but they're not going to push price above 1.3848 until all 100000 of my contracts are sold.

That's the churn that I am talking about when I use the HVC volume pattern.

Last Updated on April 21, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts