NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

ACD trading By Mark Fisher

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mfbreakout with 195 posts (185 thanks)
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 92 posts (261 thanks)
    3. looks_3 sysot1t with 21 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 forrestang with 20 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one silver99 with 4.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 dandxg with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mfbreakout with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 357,488 views
    2. thumb_up 599 thanks given
    3. group 119 followers
    1. forum 541 posts
    2. attach_file 163 attachments

Search this Thread

ACD trading By Mark Fisher

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation, TOS
Trading: ES, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 3,478
Thanks Received: 15,818

pinetree View Post
Hi everyone

I put up a chart to see if I understand what I'm doing so far.

Looks like ES confirmed an A-DOWN this morning. See in the chart on the right, the purple line below the OR is the A level. But I don't understand how one is supposed to trade it.

On the left chart is my attempt to duplicate the Noise Levels (thanks for sharing the idea) and price went down and hit support a few times. So far it's holding.

So what are some good trades in there? Short at the double top at the 3-day rolling pivot right after the market open? Short the A-down?

Or should I try another instrument like CL or 6E, since they seem to breakout into intraday trends more often. I think MF uses 8 and 13 for A and C values. Not sure about 6E.

FOMC is a tough day to trade ACD or any other system. Secondly, per mark Fisher indices are hardest to trade. You should look into CL but practice on TOS ON DEMAND till you are profitable for 20 days. I trade CL full time and now trading es here and there. Besides levels one has to keep context in mind as shown in the chart.

2011-09-21_1505 - Tariq01's library.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

mfbreakout View Post
FOMC is a tough day to trade ACD or any other system. Secondly, per mark Fisher indices are hardest to trade. You should look into CL but practice on TOS ON DEMAND till you are profitable for 20 days. I trade CL full time and now trading es here and there. Besides levels one has to keep context in mind as shown in the chart.

2011-09-21_1505 - Tariq01's library.

I did not trade as i wanted. This for analysis and reflection.

2011-09-21_1612 - Tariq01's library

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,103

@ mfbreakout:

You have posted 12 broken links to charts that nobody can view. Could you try not to post broken links but charts?

You can use bmcharts.com - share your trades to upload your images and then link them, or you can directly attach screenshots or image files here.

Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Fat Tails View Post
@ mfbreakout:

You have posted 12 broken links to charts that nobody can view. Could you try not to post broken links but charts?

You can use bmcharts.com - share your trades to upload your images and then link them, or you can directly attach screenshots or image files here.

Thanks for letting me know. I was not aware of this. Apparently , screen cast free service has limited storage capacity and they delete charts after couple of days .

I will try bmcharts as you recommended.

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

As Mark Fisher traded on NYMEX and was a crude trader himself, let us focus on CL. The method works best on physical commodities.

Here is today's chart showing pivot range (RTH), opening range (opening period 45 min) with the A and C values. The pivot range was tested in the early morning / later European morning. CL 12-11 made a good A down around 2h30 into the session, and could have been shorted, after price remained below that level for five bars. All levels and ranges plotted automatically.

Thanked by:

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

This is the same day, but this time I have used noise bands to define the breakout level and the volatility bands to define the target level to exit the position. The pivot range is used as a trend filter. Do you really need that ACD stuff?

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

I use 8.30 to 9.15 eastern time for OR as recommended by MF. On Wednesday when we have oil report, I extend OR to 8.30 to 10.45 am. 2 cyan lines represent OR.

Here is daily chart. Today pivot high= 86.22, pivot low=85.67. On my chart dashed yellow line is 3 day rolling pivot low and dashed pink line 3 day rolling pivot high.. 30 day ACD number of 6. Starting past Friday numbers were as following
11,9,10,6. Pivot tracker value of 40. I have seen them as high as 150 and low as 0. As we know lower the pivot tracker value - higher the expected VOLATILITY.

2011-10-21_1733 - Tariq01's library

2011-10-20_1345 - Tariq01's library. This is for 10-20-2011

2011-10-18_1615 - Tariq01's library. This is for 10-18-2011.

1) I will be first to admit that one needs something else to identify entries, profit targets , stop loss etc besides ACD. On 80% of the days stop loss on 45 minutes OR is more than 100 ticks away. I am constantly trying to identify ways to improve on stop loss as i mostly risk 10-15 ticks. I am using 45 minutes OR but not the stop loss of OR.

2) Your Volatility bands seems to be an excellent tool/alternative with less chance of whip saws. I just did not get a chance to test them. I use TOS platform and they have a feature called ON DEMAND. basically, a trader can pick any trading day over last 3 years and system replays that day exactly. This gives me a chance to manually test it over and over again with randomly selected time periods and thus enhance my intuitive skills set , price action, ACD set ups when they seem to work etc..

Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

I use 8.30 to 9.15 eastern time for OR as recommended by MF. On Wednesday when we have oil report, I extend OR to 8.30 to 10.45 am. A up= 88.15, A down= 87.09, C down= 86.84

Here is daily chart. Today pivot high= 86.22, pivot low=85.67. On my chart dashed yellow line is 3 day rolling pivot low and dashed pink line 3 day rolling pivot high.. 30 day ACD number of 6. Starting past Friday numbers were as following
11,9,10,6. Pivot tracker value of 40. I have seen them as high as 150 and low as 0. As we know lower the pivot tracker value - higher the expected VOLATILITY. 2 cyan lines represent OR

2011-10-21_1733 - Tariq01's library

2011-10-20_1345 - Tariq01's library. This is for 10-20-2011

2011-10-18_1615 - Tariq01's library. This is for 10-18-2011.

1) I will be first to admit that one needs something else to identify entries, profit targets , stop loss etc besides ACD. On 80% of the days stop loss on 45 minutes OR is more than 100 ticks away. I am constantly trying to identify ways to improve on stop loss as i mostly risk 10-15 ticks. I am using 45 minutes OR but not the stop loss of OR.

2) Your Volatility bands seems to be an excellent tool/alternative with less chance of whip saws. I just did not get a chance to test them. I use TOS platform and they have a feature called ON DEMAND. basically, a trader can pick any trading day over last 3 years and system replays that day exactly. This gives me a chance to manually test it over and over again with randomly selected time periods and thus enhance my intuitive skills set , price action, ACD set ups when they seem to work etc..

I think your volatility bands are for Ninja trader. I will try to find someone who can write the code for me for TOS.

Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Those target bands are nice. I can never figure out appropriate targets. Also, when price reverses after hitting A down target like it did on 10-20-11 from 84.22 to all the way to 86.40, I have trouble figuring out when to stop shorting on bounces after A down and reverse and go long.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

@ mfbreakout: You are posting links that will be broken in a few days. The whole thread here will then become useless and clustered with dead posts. I really would appreciate, if you changed your way of posting charts.

I do not use the ACD method. For my taste the breakout signals come late.

Your question regarding when to stop shorting on bounces: If I understand Mark Fisher correctly, you would not add to your position when price moves back into the opening range. The short position you mentioned would have been stopped out, when price moved above the upper end of the opening range, and the long position would have been opened above the C Up level.

It is a breakout setup with a neutral zone in the middle, and on ranging days you will be whipsawed on both sides.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 18, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts