NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

ACD trading By Mark Fisher

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mfbreakout with 195 posts (185 thanks)
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 92 posts (261 thanks)
    3. looks_3 sysot1t with 21 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 forrestang with 20 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one silver99 with 4.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 dandxg with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mfbreakout with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 357,488 views
    2. thumb_up 599 thanks given
    3. group 119 followers
    1. forum 541 posts
    2. attach_file 163 attachments

Search this Thread

ACD trading By Mark Fisher

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation, TOS
Trading: ES, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 3,478
Thanks Received: 15,818

hector24 View Post
You all have been so kind to make this ACD a thread I went out and bought the book.
I have one question that I am not understanding, maybe someone can help me, who has read the book.
After a good "A" set up either up or down. How do you enter after the set up is valid. Do you just enter on bar close or is there another entry method or is it up to the trader. Just want to make sure I am not missing something and if I am could someone enlighten me.

Thanks
Hector

look at my charts from yesterday. After A up was made yesterday, CL pulled back to OR high of 98.52. Thats where i like to get long. Strong A ups/ A downs only happen 30% of the time. CONTEXT is very important.

I lost quite a BIT when i started trading ACD- as i did not had CONTEXT.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
use extra computer for optimisation
NinjaTrader
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Fat Tails View Post
Have not traded today, but I will try to show how the noise bands can be used as an alternative to the ACD breakout concept.

Noise band: Everything inside the noise bands is just noise, that is testing market imbalances without commitment.

Volatility band: The volatility band is based on the range expectation (as average per last 10 and 20 days) for each session.

Noise bands and volatility bands can be used for both ETH and RTH session. The chart below shows how well behaved CL 03-12 was today. You could have taken countertrades off the noise bands, before trading the afternoon breakout and exit, when the volatility target was reached.

Very Nice. These noise and volatility bands created when? Before market opens or they develop as the day progress?

Before market opens- what do we have in terms of S/R to lean against in terms of Noise and Volatility bands?

I am happy to see you have pivot, pivot range, yesterday H-L-C , IB etc..

How do Fib. confluence zones come into this picture?

Thanked by:
 hector24 
austin, texas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja trader
Trading: currency futures
Thanks Given: 14
Thanks Received: 234

rw7117 View Post
@ hector24

That really depends on where the market is at when the point A is confirmed either up or down. For instance, if the the A up point is 100.50 the market may be at 100.80 when its finally confirmed. In that case you may want to hold out until the market comes back a little bit. A ups and downs give traders a directional bias so if you get long at 100.80 and you believe that it is going to be an up day then you are essentially cheating yourself out of ticks.

It think mfbreakout might be able to shed some light as well.

Thank you RW, just trying to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thanks
Hector

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,103

mfbreakout View Post
Very Nice. These noise and volatility bands created when? Before market opens or they develop as the day progress?

Before market opens- what do we have in terms of S/R to lean against in terms of Noise and Volatility bands?

I am happy to see you have pivot, pivot range, yesterday H-L-C , IB etc..

How do Fib. confluence zones come into this picture?

Noise and volatility bands plot automatically when indicator is applied. The noise level is known, so the noise bands are stable right from the open. The volatility bands move, as you can see. They are attached to the current days low or high, that is

target band high = current low + expected volatility
target band low = current high - expected volatility

I have not added fib confluence here. I use them as support and resistance in a similar way that I would use floor pivots or yesterday's high and low.

Thanked by:

Jedi 
SF Bay Area

Platform: Sierra
Broker: Multiple
Trading: CL, ES
Thanks Given: 546
Thanks Received: 594

Hi Fat Tails,
How do you calculate your volatility?
Thx,
Jedi

Fat Tails View Post
Noise and volatility bands plot automatically when indicator is applied. The noise level is known, so the noise bands are stable right from the open. The volatility bands move, as you can see. They are attached to the current days low or high, that is

target band high = current low + expected volatility
target band low = current high - expected volatility

I have not added fib confluence here. I use them as support and resistance in a similar way that I would use floor pivots or yesterday's high and low.

Jedi 
SF Bay Area

Platform: Sierra
Broker: Multiple
Trading: CL, ES
Thanks Given: 546
Thanks Received: 594

MF,
I'll try to post pre-market with you.. I goof off too much in other rms discussing senseless stuff while this gem of a thread is where its at.. Another good day tdy in CL.. I would note that I think with CL, its important to enter at a level where your stops can be behind a level and yet, remain within 10-15 ticks.. In that case, don't even hesitate if its a decent level and is holding..

Tdy's CL trades and the concepts behind them..

2012-01-26_1632 - big_waverider's library

2012-01-26_1643 - big_waverider's library

2012-01-26_1646 - big_waverider's library

https://screencast.com/t/Kw5bm36GoTW

BTW- ES tomorrow may be a volatile day as the piv and 3drp are very tight together.. 3drp=1315.25/1315.50 piv=16.25

Lots of support with congested POC between 07-12.. If we take that section out, it may be significant. However, I suspect it "might" hold and we go higher due to the strong levels under and DAX BO TODAY to the upside on their daily..

Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Jedi View Post
MF,
I'll try to post pre-market with you.. I goof off too much in other rms discussing senseless stuff while this gem of a thread is where its at.. Another good day tdy in CL.. I would note that I think with CL, its important to enter at a level where your stops can be behind a level and yet, remain within 10-15 ticks.. In that case, don't even hesitate if its a decent level and is holding..

Tdy's CL trades and the concepts behind them..

2012-01-26_1632 - big_waverider's library

2012-01-26_1643 - big_waverider's library

2012-01-26_1646 - big_waverider's library

2012-01-26_1714 - big_waverider's library

BTW- ES tomorrow may be a volatile day as the piv and 3drp are very tight together.. 3drp=1315.25/1315.50 piv=16.25

Lots of support with congested POC between 07-12.. If we take that section out, it may be significant. However, I suspect it "might" hold and we go higher due to the strong levels under and DAX BO TODAY to the upside on their daily..

Nice trading Jedi. I really like how you created resistance from Top of profile from 1-13 down to 101.40.

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,103

Jedi View Post
Hi Fat Tails,
How do you calculate your volatility?
Thx,
Jedi

@ Jedi:

The volatility targets are calculated from the average daily range over the selected session. In the example as per post #372, the indicator was set to use the average daily range of the floor session for CL 03-12.

The daily average ranges are displayed in the upper left corner of the chart.

average RTH range for the last 10 days: 1.83 points
average RTH range for the last 20 days: 1,74 points
developing RTH range for the current day: 2.08 points

The average ranges are added to the current day's low and subtracted from the current day's high and then show as targets based on the volatility of the previous 10 and 20 sessions.

Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

pre open 01-27-2012 . 99.20 remains support.

Break above 99.70 with FORCE 101.18 target. Break 99.20 with FORCE , 98.36 Target. To get 101.18, have to cross OR high of 100.24

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-27_0856_pre_open.png
Views:	184
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	60774  
Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

mfbreakout View Post
pre open 01-27-2012 . 99.20 remains support.

Break above 99.70 with FORCE 101.18 target. Break 99.20 with FORCE , 98.36 Target. To get 101.18, have to cross OR high of 100.24

Long 99.62 out 100.08. waiting to see what happens at OR high of 100.24. Also watching GDP news sell off point 100.50. May try failed A up set up. Above 100.50, it's not stopping till 101.20 or so.

Last Updated on December 18, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts